I really can't decide WHICH racket!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Coolcool, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Coolcool

Coolcool Regular Member

I've been doing quite a bit research, and I brought it down to these rackets. I'm really looking for a Yonex brand that has power and can last at least 18-24 months.

Playing style: I focus on fast, powerful hits to the backcourt and smash. Deep clears, drives, smashes. Though rarely I do drops from midcourt. I would say I'm more leaning towards offensive? I also consider placement of my shots to make my opponent run around. I have BG-65 with 22lbs at the moment on my Pro Kennex Boron Pro 1300 (old, probably discontinued). I play both doubles and singles, but leaning towards singles.

AT900P 3U
    Are at900P 3U's distributed in the US? This may seem like the racket for me, but please tell me your experiences with the 3U weight, sweet spots, singles/doubles matches, durability.

AT900T 3U
    Would like to get it, but only 4U's are available in US. I heard MANY durability issues with the 4U. Durability...:mad:. But I like the balance between control and power. I read that constant mis-hits and clashes can break this in no time.

AT700 3U
    Distributed in US? I heard some negative comments about the durability on this, although I would love to use this one. The price is just right, just the only turn off is the frame durability. I wouldn't want this to last barely only 6 months, let alone a year..

As I said, I drew it down to these three, and maybe other Yonex models. Durability is an issue because I can't constantly spend so much to buy these every 6 months. 4U's seem too fragile from what I've read.

Please reply and thanks BC members.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    SOTX W11 and W7 would be a better option since they both have higher durability than yonex rackets.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

from what you described here, here is my recommendation order.
    1) AT900-t
    2) AT700
    3) AT900-p
    1) It is easy to use and give you enough power and forgiveness on your bad shot. The shaft stiffness is a little stiffer than your current racquet so there should be no problem get use to it.
    2) A great racquet and a classic power racquet. Head heavier. The reason for #2 is because it is the head heaviest and harder to control. however, it might just been what you are looking for.
    3) not a very user friendly racquet. unless you are very good at your stroke and technique, you will have a lot of problem get use to it.

US coded AT are in 4UG4 only. if you are looking for 3U, check out sd badminton supply. they might be able to get a CD coded 3U for you.
    AT700 do not have durability issue.

4. Coolcool

Coolcool Regular Member

Can anyone rate the durability of a 3U 900t compared to 4U?

What about MP99/100?

Durable? Power? Control?

5. micae

micae Regular Member

Student
    4U feels less "solid" than 3U. 3U has a nice feel (talking about 900T here) and you feel it can last a long.

However, it all depends how you use and take care of your racket. If you hit the ground with it, or if you're prone to throw your racket on the ground, if you hit the frame or if you play doubles, durability will decrease (as with any racket)

I myself clashed my racket twice in a doubles game, nothing broken and paintjob still in top shape. (i own a 3U)

but concerning durability issues,if you take care of your 22lbs strung racket, it can last several years. (my brother have been using his aerotus70 for 15years and paintjob still in top shape)

6. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    AT900T or P..depends on what do u do more often,controlling or attacking..

7. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    In a logical term,of course 3u has better material density than the 4u,since it weights more.But it doesn't mean it'll play better.More professionals prefer 4u since they need more speed.Well,as u know,most of the pros strung their rackets up to more than 30lbs.ANother thing,as long as u don't clash the racket..it will stay long enough..

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    all depends on whether u r a lcw, taufik or lin dan fan:p

9. Coolcool

Coolcool Regular Member

Thanks for all your replies! I'm leaning towards the 3U 900T, but I can't get it in the US.

Is badminton.net (the San Diego Supply) reliable?

I am looking towards rational shipping costs and if it comes in the mail, it would be great to not see any small scratches :D or minor imperfections. Is there a difference between JP (on the serial code), CH, or any other rackets from different countries?

Any reliable supplies that you have gotten 3U's from?

I forgot! Which string is best for the at900's at 22 lbs? I prefer ones that perform well and durable. The NB95 (or was it 98?) seemed a bit thin, as I wouldn't want it to snap so quickly. Dink said the BG80 is pretty well, maybe I should get that. If I have 22lbs on my previous racket, would the at900 need 22 lbs also?

A balance between durability and power, please.

Thanks for your time!
    LD fan :D

#9 Coolcool, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  10. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

I use the AT900T 4u with a bg 65 at 23lb (prolly now running at 21lb) and it's quite powerful...

For a 3u with bg80 at 22lb i'd imagine it'd be very very powerful... try getting at 24lb or abit higher...

11. Coolcool

Coolcool Regular Member

What site should I order a 3U at900t from?

12. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The cheapest places are mybadlookbad or wingeebadminton.

13. Coolcool

Coolcool Regular Member

The at900's from mybadlookbad are $70 USD cheaper, are you sure those are real rackets? :confused:

I can't find the option to 'purchase' or 'add cart' anywhere on the website.

#13 Coolcool, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  14. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

you e-mail them

15. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The rackets are TH coded so they are the cheapest.

16. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    TH racquets are cheaper but also depends on where you buy them from. The sports section at Central@Chidlom sell high end Yonex at more than 6000 baht, not much difference from what you pay for in Singapore. Siam Paragon also sell high end yonex at high prices. But the good thing about these department stores is that they carry alot of brands, Wilson, Kason, Head, Babolat, Prince, Yonex, Dunlop, RSL, Gosen etc.

At mybadlookbad.com, the same high end model cost around 2000 baht less. I just bought a RSL X2 AP for 3100 baht whereas the department stores sell for 5100 baht. I can assure you it is genuine.

17. Coolcool

Coolcool Regular Member

I'm curious to know why TH coded rackets are so much cheaper :eek:.

Is their racket performance different in any way?

18. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

no. i though it was where they manufactured it.
    japan models have extra 'features', such as different looks on a racket, and supposedly are stronger.

19. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    For first question simply i dont know the answer :) but for performance i cant find any difference from any Code i have IP/SP/JP so TH code might be also same. Different only in price :eek: especially JP....expensive :p Ignore that code and enjoy your game only :D

20. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Hmmm, I guess if TH coded racquets are the same price, then no one can afford to buy Yonex in Thailand anymore ! Different market will have different pricing strategy.

Another thing that is cheap to get in Thailand is toiletries, when I am there, I usually will buy alot of Oral B tooth brush, it cost S$2 there but S$8 in Singapore and as far as I can tell from using them, no difference. Sorry, this is off topic, nothing related to badminton, ha ha.