West End Community Centre

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by ericyu11, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ericyu11

ericyu11 Regular Member

If some of you are still looking for a place to play that is CHEAP, check out the West End Community Centre's Saturday Programs.

For Badminton it starts at 3:15 PM to 4:45 PM every Saturday. Drop-in is $3.50, or you can sign up for 9 sessions for $26.00.

There are also Court Rentals where you can rent a court for you and your friends (up to 4) for $13 at the same time as above.

If you're worried about finding parking, you can park in the school lot (for free!)

If you need any more information or for any of the other sports offered, go to www.westendcc.ca or call 604-257-8333.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Well... about time. Now there's three drop-ins in Vancouver Downtown for badminton. Coal Harbour and Roundhouse are the other two. You might wanna take some photos of the gym and put it on this thread.

3. ericyu11

ericyu11 Regular Member

The only thing with CH is that a) it fills up and you may be turned away, b) you have to rotate and c) parking is $$.

With RH - there's not a lot to park and if there is, you have to pay.

I will take some pictures for sure!

4. ericyu11

ericyu11 Regular Member

Perhaps you can help me spread the word around. If this does not succeed this season, they may shut it down. They tried in March 08 to have a badminton drop in but it was not successfull.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

I am afraid I can't help you there. I play in a private club and I don't live anywhere near there. When did West End start the baddy drop-in? When I first moved out to Vancouver four years ago, I didn't see it on the recreational guide for downtown area. Badminton was only available in Coal Harbour and Roundhouse. If it's a recent startup, then it's tough cuz the word is certainly not getting out to the West End folks.

#5 cappy75, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  6. ericyu11

ericyu11 Regular Member

I know - and that is the problem. Where do you think I should go to advertise? I've already put up posters and handouts at local stores in the west end, there's an ad in the courier and here on badminton central...

Any suggestions?

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

How's the drop-ins there? Maybe you could give out handouts to people who drop-in so that they could spread the word around. Westend community seem more outdoorish crowd to me so that doesn't help your cause. Try putting up posters near Robson and Denman, there are a number of Japanese restaurants with potential clientele. Japanese students might be interested in drop-ins at West End if they couldn't get into Coal Harbour or RoundHouse.

8. ericyu11

ericyu11 Regular Member

The badminton drop ins at the West End are actually doing really well. We get at least 15 people each Saturday dropping in and we have 6 courts.

The new times for badminton at the West End this Winter are:

January 10 - March 29, 2009
    3:45 PM - 5:15 PM

Drop-ins: $3.50
    Register: $32.50/11 sessions (pro-rated if you register late)
    Court Rental: $13/court, up to 4 friends