Curving Clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Phil, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I was looking at the Badminton Canada guestbook, and a recent post mentions a "curving clear."

Does anyone know anything of this? It sounds like a very useful technique if mastered. Just imagine hitting a "curving clear" and watching your poor opponent trip on himself trying to hit it!

Phil

2. shabs

shabs Regular Member

hi
    i'm guessing its a cross-court clear
    but i sure cant imagine someone tripping over to return it back!

3. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    I've seen curving clears tons of time. They are really hard to hit, because a person does not expect a birdie to curve suddenly in the air. When I return overhead clears, I picture where the birdie is going to be in the air, then hit it. When someone does a curving clear shot though, the birdie curves in such a way that I miss.

By the way, the faster the wind, the more confusing the clear shot is. When there are no clouds, the sun adds to the confusion of the curve clear too.

=P

Seriously, I really can't imagine a birdy suddenly accelerating in a curve once it gets to the opponent's side of the court, unless there is some sort of force pushing it sideways like the wind. Anyone know anyway to do this?

May the Force be with You

#3 tonten, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2002