Live Coverage of Malaysia Open

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LIPlayer, Jun 24, 2002.

1. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

Do anyone know who will be telecasting Malaysia Open on the internet? Is Star TV covering this event? Any info regarding live coverage will be appreciated.

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Is there a website for the event?

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Star never covers this event. Tv msia will always

telecast final live. I'm not going to see it myself because

1) Not well represented.

2) It is hosted in the North whilst i live in the south.

4. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    worldbadminton.net always gives theupdate from every BIG tournaments...
    But for Mas Open.. so many GOOD players are not going.. latest news, Gopichand also pulls out becos he's not well. and there will be re-schedule of the draw

5. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

It is very disappointing to learn that a country like Malaysia where badminton is extremely popular does not cover their tournament (Malaysia Open) live on the Internet and no video stream available like we saw in Thomas Cup!
    How could we complain for lack of interest in Badminton in US or other countries when there is no body out there to promote this game in seriousness?

6. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Malaysia is still a developing country. Its IT is still very fresh compare to other developed countries.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I wouldn't say IT in Msia is behind time.

Let's say culture in SEA is laidback like say Hawaii and characterised

by the scientific term'inertia'.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    i wonder what other countries carries videostream like in the Thomas Cup. Cannot complain of inertia in this case but perhaps 'lack of innovation'?

Definately, the time is ripe for live internet scoring of all tournaments. Wether local organisers can come up with facilities is another matter. One stimulus is for IBF to encourage rule saying 1*/2* and above tournaments to compulsory internet scoring....or provide funding for such an initiative.

Initially, live scoring via internet probably came from somebody's inherent interest in the game who also had knowledge of internet. Perhaps similar SEA volunteers can come forth. There is a niche to be exploited.

SEA encompasses different paces of lifestyle with heterogenous population groups. Not fair to generalise everybody as inertia. Infrastructure developments are at a different pace to other 'developed countries'. More priority needs to go to satisfying basic things like health, hygiene, water, roads. Wouldn't expect Vietnam to have broadband access. Political issues complicate development. (M'sian PM criticises one major ethnic group for its poorer work ethic. In future, that type of work ethic will only hinder the country's progress [but who will take the blame?].)

9. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I am not saying IT in Malaysia is behind time but it is still considered fresh "compare" to other countries.

Since we are at the topic of web coverage on the Badminton Malaysia Open, I will pick it as an example. IT people in Malaysia are skillful, however, they dont have enough IT people in Malaysia and not many people are really into computer, I mean overall. The government is still trying every way to encourage all their oversea graduated people to go back to work.

In Malaysia, you can hardly find a lot of business have a web site to promote their business. They dont really care about that. Unlike in the US for example, almost every business have a web site and it is almost like the most fundamental thing to have, even a home business owns a web site. You can survive by just sit at home without going out to shop for whatever that you need. Compare US ebay side and Malaysia ebay side, it is so much different.

I cant even find any racquet store that runs an ecommerce business in Malaysia, not saying to dig up any badminton information.
    :)

#9 Nic, Jun 25, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  10. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Lets not get carried away here

There are good coverage out there if you look...

I will give you two websites now but they are Malaysia's main Chinese news paper, they are :

- http://sea.nanyang.lycosasia.com/categorydisplay.htm?category_rn=5
    (Nanyang sports section)
    - http://sports.sinchew-i.com
    (Sinchew sports section)

These two are generally quite fast....the results usually gets updated fairly quickly. Another one that is worth looking at is: http://www.bernama.com (this is the Reuters of Malaysia), they can be pretty fast as well.
    To those who cant read Mandarin...I will try to post the exact link here when the tournament gets underway.

In Malaysia, internet culture is catching up. But don't forget that Thomas Cup is the biggest event for badminton, so perhaps the expectations after that wonderful live scoring system is still high.

11. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    TV1

Hi hi...

just got news from my fren that Semifinal and Final will be covered by TV1, Malaysian Channel.

Semifinal will start at 3pm (Malaysia Time)=== Saturday
    Final will start at 2 pm. ==== Sunday