Canon S5IS or Nikon COOLPIX P80?

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by badylife, Oct 6, 2008.

1. badylife

badylife Regular Member

hi
    i am planning to buy a semi pro cam. have Canon S5IS or Nikon COOLPIX P80 in mind. budget is RM1000-RM1300. which of this two cam is better especially for badminton photography? i know of course a SLR will be the best but cant afford it. any other semi pro camera that u all can recommend? thanks a lot

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Difficult. When you say badminton photos do you want the action photos or just take photos of people when they are walking around?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my suggestion is to forget it unless you are happy with only photos of stationary shots like serving. neither camera are fast enough to capture action, it will be a total waste of time and money in your part.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just throwing my 3 sens rupiahs-Comparing the 2...

..and taking into consideration their features, i personally would go with the Nikon P80. Partly because i've tested/played around with it, in the shop, and partly due to its features which, IMO, is superior than the Canon S51S.
    The features on the Nikon P80 will make taking badminton photography a bit "bearable":p, but yes, these cameras won't even come close to what a DSLR camera can do.
    Just for your query, for taking badminton pics one must have:
    - Camera capable of shooting at least ISO 1600. The higher the better.
    - Fast enough lens and will allow enough light; preferably f2.8 or higher (f2.0, 1.8, 1.4 etc.).
    - Fast enough shutter speed.
    - Fast enough AF

And if you were to compare both cameras, i think the P80 will come out ahead. Check out the side-by-side specs:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...yside&cameras=canon_s5is,nikon_cpp80&show=all

Btw, as far as price-wise, the budget that you have will be barely enough (RM1300), esp. if you're buying a brand new one.
    Last, if you have any doubts on whether to go ahead or not, go with Cheung's & kwun's suggestion (and myself, as i've experienced it before).:p;)

#4 ctjcad, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. badylife

badylife Regular Member

thanks for all the opinion. i am aware that these 2 cam will not snap good badminton pics. but i cant afford to buy SLR cam. so i have 2 settle for something less which is semi pro cam. the reason i do not want to buy a compact camera is because my family already has one. i want to get a cam for myself as i am planning to take up photography.being able to take decent badminton pics will be an extra for me. doesn't really matter if it's only pictures of players serving or walking. besides these 2 cams, any other suggestion?

thank you for the review site ctjcad. i agree that nikon has better specs than canon. but i also read that nikon p80 is slower in taking continous capture. both cam will have noise in high ISO. i have check n these 2 cams are in my budget range. would appreciate more opinions from u all. thanks

6. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

If you really wanted badminton pics, you could get a Nikon D40, and use ISO1600 (or push even higher in post processing). Then get a cheap 50mm 1.8. You will have to manual focus, but it should work for small pictures.

Comes to less than US$600.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Which is twice as much money that the OP has....

On the other hand, this deal is not bad at all and almost within budget.

#7 Cheung, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It is definitely not an important feature. My camera does 5fps and I still have to say that it is usually the first picture of the sequence that is the best.

9. badylife

badylife Regular Member

thanks again 4 all the opinion. good deal for the second hand cam but too bad it is reserved d. n nikon D40 is over my budget.anyway will find out more if i go to camera shop. in the mean time, just wait wishfully for the price to drop a bit.lol

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well, if you wait a little longer, the prices for cameras always drop. Keep an eye on teh Malaysian photography forum boards - there are a few others as well with equipment sales posted up. Try and learn some of the terminology before you buy.

IMHO, if you are starting on photography, Canon 20D, 30D, 400D, 450D are sufficiently good to take badminton photos. I don't know much about Nikon except that for the really good lenses, people complain there are fewer choices and prices are higher than Canon.

Avoid the Canon 350D - I had that - bit difficult to use to take action shots.

#10 Cheung, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  11. badylife

badylife Regular Member

thanks for the info, Cheung.i will keep an eye on the forums. really hope to get a good price. ok . i will check out the full canon slr for the future. now no budget for that.hehe. ya i am still a newbie in photography,will learn about those terminology. hope to learn about photography from u all too.:)

12. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

how about getting a 2nd hand dslr and lenses? that will save you a lot of money. nikon d80 + 50mm/1.8 2nd hand should be quite cheap now. on this class of dslr body, the autofocus speed is slow anyway so it doesn't matter if the lens doesn't have usm/afs/hsm because the body's cpu can't drive the lens to its full af speed anyway.

e.g. i took this pic in 2005 with a nikon d70 (can't remember whether i used a 50mm/1.4 of 85mm/1.8 lens). i manually prefocussed on the middle of the odd service court and waited until lee jae jin moved into my focus point. this was a single shot, no need for high speed continuous shooting. i can't remember what settings i used but it would have been something like manual focus, manual mode, 1/320s, f/1.8, iso1600. the slower shutter speed was needed to capture enough light but it was fast enough to keep the player's body still while showing motion in the racquet and shuttle.

[​IMG]

13. badylife

badylife Regular Member

thanks for ur opinion and nice pic, Mini Me. yea i will look out for good 2nd hand slr too. hope i can take nice pics like that in the future :)

14. badylife

badylife Regular Member

went window shopping yesterday and ask bout the canon S5 IS in a few shops. all say no stock and 1 even say the whole market there no stock n S5 IS no more being produced. haih. anway i found out that NIKON COOLPIX P80 is rm1250 which is quite ok the price. but i still waiting for the price to drop and wanna see and touch the S5 IS before deciding which to buy.hehe. NIKON COOLPIX P80 looks not bad