BG 80 at what tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Soul9999, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Soul9999

Soul9999 Regular Member

Hi i am currently using a BG 65ti at 24lbs when strung and now has dropped to about 19lbs. I am pretty content with the smash power I am getting out of my 65ti but wanted to try the BG80 since most ppl recommend it as a better string. Any suggestions at what temperature I should string it at? My racquet is a Wilson NCode. Any suggestions are appreciated.:)

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Temperature???? Try BG80 at 22-23lbs because it'll lose slack eventually and be similar compared to your BG65ti @24lbs.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    String BG80 at 23lbs.

4. Soul9999

Soul9999 Regular Member

sry not temperature but tension. I heard from some ppl that they like their BG 80 strung at a slightly higher tension 24lb to 25lb is there drastic difference to the power of the string?

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I had 2 Cab30's strung at 22 & 24lbs with BG80 respectively. The 24lbs racket felt a lot more alive. I'm not sure if this is due to the racket or the string. I later restrung the 22lbs to 25lbs because I hardly touch the 22lbs racket.

Of course this is totally individual.

6. Soul9999

Soul9999 Regular Member

I first had my BG 65 strung at 24lbs but then my smashes were not nearly as powerful as now when my string is at around 19 lbs. Should I start a Bg at 21 or 20? or sth else

7. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I'll recommend then that you start at a lower tension. Yonex recommended that BG80/85 be strung at 2 lbs (or 10%? cannot recall) lower than the normal tension due to the vectran (whatever it is).

I doubt your string has dropped to 19lbs. How did you arrive at that?

If you were having problem extracting power at 24lbs, you might want to start at lower tensions first, say 22lb. Alternatively, use a cheaper string (say BG66) to find your optimum tension. Understand that differences do exists between stringers so not all "22lbs" are the same.

IMHO, the most important thing is to be able to enjoy your game.

8. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Today is the first time i used BG80. i had it strung under 26 lbs, and when the "stringer" was halfway finished, he said that the tension would feel like 28 lbs because the string adds 2 lbs more in the tension. WTF :eek:!!! That tension is too high for me :mad:. I told the stringer to lower it to 24 lbs, but he said that he couldn't do that because he had started already. I haven't tried my racket yet, and my dilemma is that tomorrow morning at 8 a.m., I'll be playing in a tournament.

Is this true? Does BG80 add 2 lbs more? Would it significantly affect my smash? I mean, I go for control than power, thus the tension of 26 lbs. I feel like at this tension, my smash is strong enough to make a kill without compensating for the control. Am I doomed? Oh no! I'm gonna lose. :( :crying::crying:

9. max_cjs0101

max_cjs0101 Regular Member

student
    I never heard that before that stringing BG80 adds an extra 2lbs when its strung.
    If you think your tension is too high,you can leave the racquet for a few days or just hit the racquet gently to the palm of your hand.

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    It has something to do with the word "vectran" (as what weeyeh) said. Is there anybody here who can expound this?

11. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Tomorrow is my tournament. I have no more time left to manually and manipulatively lower the tension. But I'll try hitting the racket with my palm tonight.

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

The recommendation came from the back-cover of the BG80 packaging. It says 2 lbs less than BG65. Didn't see any other strings (except the BG85) with a similar recommendation.

Very brave of you to try out a new string/tension just before a tournament. My teammates would have slaughtered me back then.

Whatever it is, just play your best tomorrow. Be sure to give yourself more time to warm up and adjust to the new string/tension/feel. All the best to your game tomorrow.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You should do absolutely fine at the higher tension.

Just remember that the stringbed will be less bouncy :)
    You'll need to compensate for that when playing soft shots.

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Okay. So, here's the update of what happened yesterday during my tournament and my first time using BG80. Yes. It's true that the feel of the racket is noticeably different from the tension (26 lbs) I used because it added 2 lbs more. And as predicted, my smash was weaker. I had to make major adjustment by focusing more on the placement rather than the power.

It was really hard but ... we won!!! :D There was a drawback though because my partner accidentally hit me in the head with his racket. Goodness! I lost consciousness for a while. My forehead got a little bit swollen. But after resting for about 10 minutes, we continued playing since it was already our last game. We almost lost because I was already disoriented at that time. Most of the opponents' shots I thought was OUT was obviously IN. Maybe we were just lucky that day. :)

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Maybe it was no accident.
    Your partner must have had enough of your mistakes :D

16. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Well if that's the case, good thing he stepped up.
    After the accident, he was very apologetic. Still, I can't help being a little bit traumatized. The bump still hurts. :(

17. Noobiee

Noobiee Regular Member

i was previously playing with bg6 @24lbs..
    when i switch to bg80 @26lbs , i got more power but lesser control....

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It appears that your preferred tension is in the lower end of 20s rather than the higher ones. Therefore, start BG80@22 or 23lb should be a much better approach than 25+.