Making people aware...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by UkPlayer, Jun 24, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Some ideas are required here as to how we make people aware of what is required to be a good badminton player?

I think some of us are pretty sick of the ignorance of people in our offices, schools, our friends and acquantainces when it comes to badminton. Time and time again I am fed up with putting in the hard work to get into a top quality team and not recieving the due respect for it.

I think it is time we badminton players took some action.

I have been inspired by the 'badminton facts' which amongst other things compares badminton to Tennis, making a mockery of the enudrance required for tennis. These are interesting facts and invaluable as weapons in an argument about badminton.

Using this as a basis I would like to get together some kind of poster or factsheet which is available to all and can be printed out and stuck on the wall - in the office, in the home so we can arm ourselves with some responses to these ridiculous notions of badminton being an easy sport.

Ok, who's got some ideas?

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
  3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
  4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
  5. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Thomas Cup fact: is it correct?

The third link has a statement that the Thomas cup has been played since 1948 and the only three countries to win it are China, Indonesia and Malaysia. Is that correct? Wasn't the U.S. the dominant badminton power for the first ten or fifteen years of the Thomas Cup's history? Why didn't the U.S. win any cups during that time? (played overseas and US players didn't bother because of the high travel expenses, maybe?)

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Thomas cup began only in 1949 with the donation of Sir George Thomas.

Before that there was the AE won by eg. Dave Freeman of US and also people

like Betty Uber.

Badminton was never popular in US until a Scotsman called Ken Davidson went on

a promotional tour of Canada and Us to promote the sport aftert WW2.It remained

quite popular and Us was still a force until about 1958 whwn Ina emerged.Canada

was still well represented up to 1982 until interest wained after China joined IBF.

Unfortunately it appears that badminton in N America is mostly associated with a

game played by newer immigrants.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Saw in badders an advert about a book by Kenneth Davidson called Winning Badminton.

apparently there are 5 of it for sale in Amazon.com and they are used books.

If it is the same Ken Davidson who must be 80 now if still alive,

don't miss an opportunity to buy a piece of history by the King of trick shots.