User Tag List

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they really should revise their qualification requirements... Eight Super Series seems quite a lot. And for a number 2 in the world, Olympic Champion not to qualify? Ridiculous!

I don't really understand the minimum of eight SS bit. I mean to get into the top eight in the first place they'd either have to enter a lot anyway, or do very well in the few they do enter... which to get into the top eight should more than prove their worth if others behind them can't achieve the same with more tournaments under their belt... So what's the point?
    Last edited by phaarix; 11-01-2008 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Super Series Finals. I think the requirements if fair. Its like the Tennis Masters. You have to fight it out to the next round or next Master Series no matter if you are top ranked player or not.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The event will be poorer because of this rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    Its Super Series Finals. I think the requirements if fair. Its like the Tennis Masters. You have to fight it out to the next round or next Master Series no matter if you are top ranked player or not.
    Well yes it might be fair... but I still personally think they'd do better without that particular requirement. Especially when they make such a big point of it being only the "TOP eight players", you'd think they'd put more emphasis on actual ranking than the amount of tournaments played.
    Last edited by phaarix; 11-01-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phaarix View Post
    Well yes it might be fair... but I still personally think they'd do better without that particular requirement. Especially when they make such a big point of it being only the "TOP eight players", you'd think they'd put more emphasis on actual ranking than the amount of tournaments played.
    By no definition can they be described as the 'Top Eight' players.
    Perhaps, the 'Top Eight Tourers' or 'Top Eight Triers' would be apt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need the numbers..

..can someone tally up all the points won by all the top 8 SS Grand Finale qualifiers, in singles or doubles events (if you guys know who they are)??..

As for the concept behind this format, well, should we be surprised? After all, it's the same IBF/BWF body which formulated the Thomas & Uber Cup competition system/format (until recently where they decided to amend it for future TC & UC tourneys).
    I think, in some way, i can see the reasoning behind this SS Grand Finale as it's geared towards rewarding those players who've participated and finished well in, at least, 8 SS events; not so much as to reward or put on display the actual "world top players". Kind of like trying to promote the Super Series. Points gained, by the players, from participating in those tourneys would probably justify their eligibility as well; although some players who've participated in more SS tourneys might not necessarily have more points than those who've participated in less SS tourneys.
    It might not be favorable to some or most of us, but it's an interesting system.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-01-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Yes..^^

..(crossing fingers and toes)...it has materialized, FINALLY!!:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=62254

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    By no definition can they be described as the 'Top Eight' players.
    Perhaps, the 'Top Eight Tourers' or 'Top Eight Triers' would be apt.
    Yeah that's exactly what I mean . The idea of promoting is interesting though ctjcad. I guess that could be one explanation for the ruling (regardless of whether or not I agree with it ).

Of course, don't get me wrong! However it turns out I'll still be looking forward it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is called the "Super Series Finals", so top 8 here means the top 8 Super Series players. If you win everything else but did not enter a single Super Series event, you are a great player but it's hard to justify you being a top 8 Super Series player.

They should remove the nationality limitation, but other than that, I think it's fair. Right from the start, everyone knows what the rules are. We can't help it if Lin Dan or others doesn't care about the Super Series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcyong View Post
    It is called the "Super Series Finals", so top 8 here means the top 8 Super Series players. If you win everything else but did not enter a single Super Series event, you are a great player but it's hard to justify you being a top 8 Super Series player.

They should remove the nationality limitation, but other than that, I think it's fair. Right from the start, everyone knows what the rules are. We can't help it if Lin Dan or others doesn't care about the Super Series.
    I don't mean world ranking. According to the BWF site - Lin Dan is ranked at no. 7 in the Super Series ranking (that's what it's based on right?), so I assume that means that seeing as China has 3 players in the top they can choose which to send? Anyway I don't just mean Lin Dan, I mean if any player makes it to the top 8 in the *super series ranking* with less than 8 tournaments then why should they be denied a spot?

Ok I suppose his ranking of number 7 includes the points he got last year too... So perhaps he doesn't qualify anyway... But lets say those tournaments were included - that's still only 6 - 2 less than 8! I really do think 8 is too high a requirement. Quality over quantity.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone going to KK for the Super Series finals?

I am tempted, haven't decided yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any infomation about the ticket....
    can buy it earlier or not....
    like world championship...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phaarix View Post
    I don't mean world ranking. According to the BWF site - Lin Dan is ranked at no. 7 in the Super Series ranking (that's what it's based on right?), so I assume that means that seeing as China has 3 players in the top they can choose which to send? Anyway I don't just mean Lin Dan, I mean if any player makes it to the top 8 in the *super series ranking* with less than 8 tournaments then why should they be denied a spot?

Ok I suppose his ranking of number 7 includes the points he got last year too... So perhaps he doesn't qualify anyway... But lets say those tournaments were included - that's still only 6 - 2 less than 8! I really do think 8 is too high a requirement. Quality over quantity.
    Oh, right. Besides the nationality limitation, I agree with you on this particular entry requirement. Me thinks as long as you are in the top 8 of the Super Series ranking, you should qualify.

(I do understand why BWF would want to impose this rule. And also the nationality limitation rule. Still does not make it fair though.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    The event will be poorer because of this rule.
    agree
    the rules made the tournament less interesting

In my mind "The Grand Final" should be,
    - no limitation number of player for every nation.
    - no limitation of minimum number of tournament, as long as the players include the top-8, they should be qualify.

- give ranking points when those limitation avoided

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow It's time for more professional sports managers to get involved in Badminton

As Badminton is becoming organised as a Professional Sport, professional Badminton players will need to be looked after by professional sports managers to attend to the 'Fine Prints in the Conditions of Entry for Tournaments'.

Just have a look at other sports. Their professional players concentrate mainly in their trainings and matches. All other matters such as tournament entries, schedules, travels, accommodations, meals, etc... are organised/planned by their managers.

It's time for more professional sports managers to get involved in Badminton. Our professional Badminton players need them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am tempted to go too.... So any Sabah ppl in Badmintoncentral here? Can we stay in your houses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am tempted too..waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast