Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    agree
    the rules made the tournament less interesting

In my mind "The Grand Final" should be,
    - no limitation number of player for every nation.
    - no limitation of minimum number of tournament, as long as the players include the top-8, they should be qualify.

- give ranking points when those limitation avoided
    I think the ruling is pretty much the same as the old Grand Prix Finals of the 80s-90s era, except for these two ruling. The only criteria then was ranking points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This does not augur well to the game. Imagine a Grand Final Super Series minus the great Lin Dan and other top players. They should not allow this to happen. To be fair, all winners of Super Series should qualify to play for the ultimate Finals...like see who is the Best amongst the Best! If the winner is less then the required number, then they should take the runner-ups...and so on to make it. Then everyone will be aiming to be champion to qualify for this ultimate ....championship. The criteria should change and not have to play all super series to qualify. Then if a loser always participate, can he still qualify to the ultimate finals? That would be real boring...I prefer champion playing against champion like the Tennis Masters...That will be cool...My dream player will be LCW, LD, Peter Gade, Taufik, Chen Jin, Top Korean players, Boonsak, Sony Dwi Koncoro...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow We all misunderstood: The Super Series Grand Finals is for participants in the SS

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyapkf View Post

This does not augur well to the game. Imagine a Grand Final Super Series minus the great Lin Dan and other top players. They should not allow this to happen. To be fair, all winners of Super Series should qualify to play for the ultimate Finals...like see who is the Best amongst the Best! If the winner is less then the required number, then they should take the runner-ups...and so on to make it. Then everyone will be aiming to be champion to qualify for this ultimate ....championship. The criteria should change and not have to play all super series to qualify. Then if a loser always participate, can he still qualify to the ultimate finals?
    mikeyapkf ... We all misunderstood... The Super Series Grand Finals is for participants in the SS.

For example;
    The current top 8 MS in the SS Standings (as at 30-Oct-2008) are:
    1. LCW
    2. BCL
    3. SDK
    4. CJ
    5. KJ
    6. PG
    7. LD
    8. JP

The current top 8 MS in the BWF World Rankings (as at 30-Oct-2008) are:
    1. LCW
    2. LD
    3. CJ
    4. BCL
    5. SDK
    6. KJ
    7. PG
    8. JP

Source: click here

Some top players elect to concentrate to win the World Championships. Some the Olympic Games Gold. Some the Super Series Prize Money. Some the Thomas Cup, etc...

We cannot ask all our professional Badminton players to participate in all of them, even though we wish/hope for them to do so.

For example, we have to respect Lin Dan's wishes, if he regards the SS Prize Money to be not as important/valuable compared to the World Championship Title, or the Olympic Gold, or for the Thomas Cup, etc...

Our professional players can select what Titles/Prize Monies/Golds/Cups they wish to win. If they were to participate in all the events, it will become too hard a schedule for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason why the 2007 Finals did not happen was because the main sponsor of the Super Series pulled out half way through the year.

This meant that BWF actually paid the prize money for the last 6 SS events for 2007 and then the first few of 2008. I assume that a new sponsor has been found and is not only paying the prize money for this years events but will also sponsor the finals in December.

I have no idea who the sponsor was that pulled ou in 2007 or who the new sponsor is in 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    Anyone going to KK for the Super Series finals?

I am tempted, haven't decided yet.
    abg din, cat & kitten are considering, too..., Uncle Loh did ask...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be camping for this, think the rule is fair... Anyway, any rule bound to have some people unhappy, no rule will make everyone happy.

Can't wait for this Finale...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    Anyone going to KK for the Super Series finals?

I am tempted, haven't decided yet.
    How not to when it's the best of the best? That's maximum quality with minimum loss of time.
    In fact I happened to visit KK last month. Worth another visit.
    Count me and I believe, Jen , in.
    What's the official hotel?
    How about taking care of the accm since you're so good at negotiating? The hotel prices are twice that of JKT for the similar class though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suetyan View Post
    ya, no ranking points.. I think like last year, China will not participate also
    Well, if that's how China thinks... [a tournament with no ranking = not important]... then, thank you China... Give the rest of the world a chance to earn US$ 500,000! It is good for badminton worldwide!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should announce this way ahead..this put disadvantages for some players like Wacha...he has a chacne to be in super series final...if he is not participating in HKG and China Open then he wont qualify..Simon also did not kow and he is still sick so Taufik has a clear advantage over Simon.......Flandy/Vita has a chance but since they did not know if SS Final will be exist ,Vita told me that she and flandy still could register to play China/HKG Open to qualify (8 tournaments) even now they rank 6...

I hope BWF announces early January 2009 so all players are aware.
    When I was in French Open...Some players are in doubt if SS Final will be...they did asl BWF official to make sure it is not BS like last year....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently the Association of the country knows. Maybe they didnt inform the coaches and the players?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    Apparently the Association of the country knows. Maybe they didnt inform the coaches and the players?
    No even PBSI did not know at all.......not even DEN or China also...they did hear the rumour a week before BWF announced it...they did think it was supposed in China...
    Even Candra heard of it but not sure it would happen....even TH did not know..he is busy with exhibition in Phillipine,Toronto in December and hoping to get invited for Copenhagen Masters even Sony/MK/HS....

I can say that this is being managed poorly........by BWF....now suddenly Andrew Smith or Ng Wei has a chance to be in top 8...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    No even PBSI did not know at all.......not even DEN or China also...they did hear the rumour a week before BWF announced it...they did think it was supposed in China...
    Even Candra heard of it but not sure it would happen....even TH did not know..he is busy with exhibition in Phillipine,Toronto in December and hoping to get invited for Copenhagen Masters even Sony/MK/HS....

I can say that this is being managed poorly........by BWF....now suddenly Andrew Smith or Ng Wei has a chance to be in top 8...
    Well at least they have chance to win the big bucks. So next year.. those who missed the SS F this year.. will participate in more SS events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm interesting with the case in double; how if they have separate?
    and also in MD Chandra/Tony according to current rank is qualified for the SS final. Which country they representing? INA has 2 doubles in top 8 SS rank; KinDra and luluk/alvent..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    The reason why the 2007 Finals did not happen was because the main sponsor of the Super Series pulled out half way through the year.

This meant that BWF actually paid the prize money for the last 6 SS events for 2007 and then the first few of 2008. I assume that a new sponsor has been found and is not only paying the prize money for this years events but will also sponsor the finals in December.

I have no idea who the sponsor was that pulled ou in 2007 or who the new sponsor is in 2008
    Why should sponsors hide their identity? Wouldn't they want to be known so they can earn goodwill or increased sales from it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    agree
    the rules made the tournament less interesting

In my mind "The Grand Final" should be,
    - no limitation number of player for every nation.
    - no limitation of minimum number of tournament, as long as the players include the top-8, they should be qualify.

- give ranking points when those limitation avoided
    i remember that years ago when china first started to play in international tournaments, one year in all england 1/4 final 7 out of the 8 WS are chinese plus a danish. we dont really want to see that again, do we?

as for min 8 SS to qualify, let say for the olympics year one can play in 7 SS and won them all plus the olympics gold metal and still not qualify for the 'FINAL'! what a joke.
    Last edited by AlanY; 11-04-2008 at 03:18 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The main sponsors..

..based on the news/reports for this yr's Super Series Finale, the main/key sponsors are:
    Yonex Sunrise (S'pore)
    BAM
    ISC (International television broadcast rights holder)

(actually the upcoming edition is technically delayed from last yr. Remember last yr's year end SS Finale was postponed to January this yr. Then they scratched the plan. So, i guess the one coming up is actually from last yr's)
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-04-2008 at 03:17 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm proposing..

..(this is just an exception) BWF to amend the current rule and allow the top 8 SS qualifiers from last year and this year to participate. In other words, just merge last yr's SS tourneys with this yr's.
    BWF planned the whole SS Grand Finale at beginning of last yr only to see them botched up the SS Grand Finale plan from last year, thus we never had one. So, the one coming up is, technically, from last year.
    I think if they held a SS Grand Finale last yr, then this yr's SS Grand Finale would justify only those who participated in this yr's SS tourneys.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast