User Tag List

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Let's not ask what Badminton can do for us, but what we can do for Badminton

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post

I find the idea of rewarding host organisers unreal.And at the expense of the players?

If Melbourne missed the opportunity to hold the SSF, that's BAA's shortcoming and lack of imagination.You don't expect the BAA to finance hosting the event.Rather, one would expect the BAA to approach the Victoria Tourism Board to sponsor and fund the major part.It involves how well you can sell to VTB.

pjswift ... Perhaps in my last previous posts you would have detected me saying ...
    Let's not ask what Badminton can do for us, but what we can do for Badminton.

You are from Singapore (almost in the middle top Badminton playing nations), why not you get to ask the Singapore Badminton Association to host it?.

I am only concerned that the SS format/programme can be continued.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmmm, I guess we all should blame ourselves, eventhough the plan was BWF's all along

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    ...(pjswift's detailed response snipped for brevity)
    But I'm glad KK won this opportunity. Sabah is such a tourist-driven economy they can spot a winner before VTB even woke up.And I'm just wondering what's our SBA doing. Was SBA not even approached?
    ..that's the reason why i wondered about the decision and why a city like Melbourne (as attractive for tourism as it is & as green a pasture to promote badminton) couldn't go through with hosting it & was turned down..
    Do we know what BWF actually requires of for a host city to be eligible to host this SS Finale?? Is it simply really to have a US$250,000 down payment to have this event??..
    That's what the inquiring minds want to know and i was wondering if our BCers who are going to watch the SS Finale could possibly find out from the organizer about the real story behind this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    I don't work for BWF and/or for KK Badminton. Please don't ask me too many question on them. I am only interested that the SS can go ahead.

My concern is to popularise Badminton and to thank any city willing to host it. And if KK decides to cancel the SS Finals in the last minute, I would not blame them either.
    ..thank you for replying (which i'm still looking for the answer to)..
    chris@ccc, there's no doubt you and everyone of us:
    1. Want SS/format to succeed..
    2. Want to popularize badminton as much as possible..
    3. Of course, we all know you don't work for BWF or KK badminton..
    4. We, as fans, should help promote the sport and BWF in holding more baddy tourneys as best as we can..

But by botching up and presenting the SS Finale like this, do you think it helps the image of badminton worldwide?
    Like a few BCers mentioned before, how about the players who've prepared themselves for this event, by attending as many SS events as possible (some might even sponsored themselves out of their own pocket)? Any concern about their well being/feeling? I can picture myself in their shoes; can you?
    And if this Finale gets cancelled (and God forbid it get cancelled, again), how about the feeling of those BCers who've already paid plane tix & accommodation to come & watch??
    I can also picture myself in pjswift's, abedeng's, Hau-ge's (who's flying in from the other side of the world), Louisa's shoes or maybe slippers/sandals since they are going on a mini vacation; can you??(well, maybe they'll just spend a few days there for R & R and shopping, might as well. Heck maybe even hold their own baddy tournament amongst themselves)
    And still, there's no feeling BWF is responsible in all this??..Even if you were in their (BWF's) shoes??..

Anyhoo, all i was asking was a simple question, not too many questions, looking for a yes, no or combo answer...ah well*sigh*...
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-22-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow We are giving wrong info here

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post

..that's the reason why i wondered about the decision and why a city like Melbourne (as attractive for tourism as it is & as green a pasture to promote badminton) couldn't go through with hosting it & was turned down.

Do we know what BWF actually requires of for a host city to be eligible to host this SS Finale?? Is it simply really to have a US$250,000 down payment to have this event??..

OMG, I'd better correct a few things here;
    (1) The city of Melbourne wasn't turned down.
    (2) The host city is not required to make down payment of any money.

What I'd said was the host city is to provide a venue for the tournament, accommodation (like an Olympic Village) for players and officials, advertisements and ticket sales for the event, etc... And we in Melbourne estimated that we would need US$250,000.00 to do it.

All ticket sales money goes to the organisers (of the host city). But we in Melbourne think that we could not recoup the expenses from our ticket sales because Badminton is not popular here.

Actually any rich member of Badminton Central can host it too, if his/her National Association supports/approves it.

Please refer to Post#55 again.

Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-22-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The matter is already over.. its too late to do anything. What we can do now is to enjoy the SS Finals and complain after that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Okay...

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    OMG, I'd better correct a few things here;
    (1) The city of Melbourne wasn't turned down.
    (2) The host city is not required to make down payment of any money.

What I'd said was the host city is to provide a venue for the tournament, accommodation (like an Olympic Village) for players and officials, advertisements and ticket sales for the event, etc... And we in Melbourne estimated that we would need US$250,000.00 to do it.

All ticket sales money goes to the organisers (of the host city). But we in Melbourne think that we could not recoup the expenses from our ticket sales because Badminton is not popular here.
    ..got the wrong/mixed up info here..
    But i think bottom line is, the host city (Melbourne) had to come up with some sort of a money figure, approx. US$250k, to cover the event (heck, might as well call it a down payment)..no??..
    I meant the city of Melbourne was turned down/didn't qualify because they couldn't come up with the cost to cover all the necessary SS Finale requirements, which are required by BWF. Thus BWF selected KK, because KK supposedly will be able to cover the cost to host the event...
    Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    The matter is already over.. its too late to do anything. What we can do now is to enjoy the SS Finals and complain after that.
    to be continued??........
    No lah, ants, we're just having a friendly banter here just to kill time before the SS Finale......
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-22-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Hope there will be no complain to KK

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post

It's great that KK will host it. Hope there will be no complain to KK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow How much money do I need to stage it?

..got the wrong/mixed up info here..
    But i think bottom line is, the host city (Melbourne) had to come up with some sort of a money figure, approx. US$250k, to cover the event (heck, might as well call it a down payment)..no??..
    I meant the city of Melbourne was turned down/didn't qualify because they couldn't come up with the cost to cover all the necessary SS Finale requirements, which are required by BWF. Thus BWF selected KK, because KK supposedly will be able to cover the cost to host the event...

to be continued??........
    No lah, ants, we're just having a friendly banter here just to kill time before the SS Finale......

ctjcad ... You cannot call it a down payment. Perhaps I didn't make things clear enough.

Let us have an analogy...
    I have written a musical play. I will allow you to stage it. You don't have to pay me anything.
    But please don't make my musical looks bad.

So what are you going to do? Some questions you would ask could be;
    (1) How much money do I need to stage it?
    (2) How many people would come to watch it?
    (3) Can I afford the time and effort to stage it?
    (4) Will I make a profit from it?
    (5) Can I afford the money if I make a loss?

If you call the above expenses (money and time ) as down payment, then let it be so...
    So what you have said about the down payment is not for BWF.

Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-22-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink ^^I understand..^^

..the analogy...I'm speaking abt "down payment", figuratively. And it is not for BWF (have i mentioned that??); rather on the AUS/Melbourne side. It's a proof that i'm able to **at least** acquire/hold the event it (just like a property). If i have no proof of doing so, how can i hold the event/acquire it?? Whatever profit i get from my holding the event, through my "down payment", i will keep (in case of automobiles, electronics, i will lose value).

We'll see lah, chris@ccc. I'm also getting tired of this fun little banter (while waiting for you to answer my earlier simple question).
    I'll hope for the best, this event won't be cancelled and the place will be filled to max. capacity during those 3 days.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-22-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Badminton is more popular in Malaysia

We'll see lah, chris@ccc. I'm also getting tired of this fun little banter (while waiting for you to answer my earlier simple question).

I'll hope for the best, this event won't be cancelled and the place will be filled to max. capacity during those 3 days.

What was your earlier simple question again?

Btw, I think KK can do it without problems... Because Badminton is more popular in Malaysia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Okay, here it is..^^

..it might've gotten lost or wasn't clear (post #133). Simple yes or no or combo..:

With all that's happened, in the last yr or so with this SS Finale, do you think/feel BWF has approached & run a good process in presenting this event??..

If you don't feel so, how would you have done it differently??(this is an optional question/answer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up I think that BWF has tried their very best for promoting Badminton

..it might've gotten lost or wasn't clear (post #133). Simple yes or no or combo..:

With all that's happened, in the last yr or so with this SS Finale, do you think/feel BWF has approached & run a good process in presenting this event??..

If you don't feel so, how would you have done it differently??(this is an optional question/answer)

Question: Do you think/feel BWF has approached & run a good process in presenting this event?
    Answer: I think/feel BWF has tried their very best. If I didn't think so, I would have got myself involved with BWF (perhaps, joining their committee) to organise things differently.

Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-22-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Thank you for answering..^^

..i definitely had a strong feeling you would answer it like that. Since it's a bit of an ambiguous/diplomatic answer (no clear yes or no), i would say it falls under the yes & no answer....am i correct??..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up BWF is doing OK

..i definitely had a strong feeling you would answer it like that. Since it's a bit of an ambiguous/diplomatic answer (no clear yes or no), i would say it falls under the yes & no answer....am i correct??..

BWF is doing OK. If members here at Badminton Central are not happy with BWF, we should get ourselves involved with BWF to change things.

Complaining without action can never change things for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Concur..^^

..working & changing things for the better is definitely something we baddy fans should achieve.
    But IMO, before that, there should be some sort of admittance that there have been shortcoming, things that haven't gone the way they should or there have been things that should have been organized/handled better....In other words, there should be some sort of responsibility. Without acknowledging the shortcomings, it means that everything is "perfect" (and we all know nothing is perfect in this world)...do you agree??..

Btw, i just noticed our Krisna just walked in...i don't know what else he'll put forth...
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-22-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Complaining without action can never change things for us

..working & changing things for the better is definitely something we baddy fans should achieve.

But IMO, before that, there should be some sort of admittance that there have been shortcoming, things that haven't gone the way they should or there have been things that should have been organized/handled better....In other words, there should be some sort of responsibility. Without acknowledging the shortcomings, it means that everything is "perfect" (and we all know nothing is perfect in this world)...do you agree??..

Glad to acknowledge BWF's shortcoming. As I have said before...

If we are not happy with BWF, we should get ourselves involved in BWF to change things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, let's go back to the main objective of the Super Series.

It was said that Super Series was established to do 2 major things:
    1. enhance popularity of the sport globally.
    2. enhance the players' earnings thru a higher minimum prize money

Basically, objective 2 is the driver of BWF's targets. If you get 2 right, you will see objective 1 be met and improved.

I remember last time they even set up bwfsuperseries.com website, and countries have to commit to having telecasts of at least semis and finals matches for all super series events.

But now, that website is defunct after only a year, and looking at how Astro handled it yesterday, even rugby world cup takes centrestage and our badminton telecast was interrupted after 3 matches. And let's not even talk about the recent BWF power struggle.

If BWF couldn't even get the SS Masters Finals (well, that's what they call it) to be hosted at other locations, locations that might not be popular with badminton right now, how is the popularity of the sport going to improve?

One suggestion is as mentioned by pjswift, the budding host country (with some assistance from BWF) must sell the idea to the tourism industry. And the tourism industry can provide competitive packages for tourists to come and join the fun. BC forummers and fans would then travel the earth to be part of the experience as long as costs are reasonable.

And once you fill the stadium, surely at least the costs could be recouped, not to mention some royalty from live TV rights ......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post

It was said that Super Series was established to do 2 major things:
    1. enhance popularity of the sport globally.
    2. enhance the players' earnings thru a higher minimum prize money

Basically, objective 2 is the driver of BWF's targets. If you get 2 right, you will see objective 1 be met and improved.
    Sorry, what I meant was objective 1 is the driver of BWF's targets, and if you get 1 right, 2 will be achieved automatically.

Too engrossed in PAW strategies, I had the objectives upside down.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast