Badminton Grip Length

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Kokopeli, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Kokopeli

Kokopeli Regular Member

student
    Hi all I have a question to ask....

Ive been using hand me down rackets for a while now and decided to buy a racket for myself.

A recent trip to a racket shop made me confused about the grip of the racket.

I notice that some of the racket grip for example the armortec series hav a longer grip length than say...my old carbonex 21.why is that so??Or does it hav to do with the grip size of the racket itself??

Or maybe its got to do with the model of the racket??Please enlighten me.

Thanx alot

2. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

yes. some rackets have different lengths, depending on which event you are supposed to use it for. for instance, the AT- 700 is considered to be a singles racket, so it has shorter handle, because your grips aren't supposed to change much, and you want more power (from what i've seen and heard*), while the At- 900, and MP- 99(again, from what i've seen and heard*) have longer handles, b/c they are supposedly doubles rackets...

are they really only meant for singles and doubles respectively? no...

3. Kokopeli

Kokopeli Regular Member

student
    Thanx for the reply but i kinda find it a lil disturing since its a lil longer than usual...

maybe its juz me but since im quite used to the shorter grip length,if i were to switch will it gives me a hard time adjusting??

I'm more to playing singles than doubles and im currently looking at at900t.Is it suitable and if yes what would be the ideal string model and tension?

thanx alot

4. Kokopeli

Kokopeli Regular Member

student
    Oh and 1 more thing.if im used to playing with old cab 20 and 21...which feels more approproate??the at900t or the arc 10??thanx agn

5. singchaii

singchaii Regular Member

Car Technician
    Some racket grip is longer while some is shorter. Just like my apacs edgesaber 7 and nano900power. The grip is longer and the shaft is shorter among other racket.

6. kimir

kimir Regular Member

7. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Elaborating a bit more... It depends on how you like to grip your racket, how often you change your grips and even the size of your hand.

A higher grip (closer to the cone) gives you more defense and control while a lower grip gives you more power and wrist flexibility (if you have smaller hands). Hence, a longer grip will naturally give you more variety. During a game, you can adjust your grip to take advantage of these points.

One thing many people tend to overlook is the size of your hand. For people with small hands, if you have a high grip and a racket with a long grip, the butt might hit your wrist during a game so a shorter grip may be more desirable.