Nylon and Feather Shuttles HELP

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Stinge, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Stinge

Stinge New Member

I really only play the occasional game of badminton through school so am not really wise in the ways of the game and what to look for in a shuttle.

Anyway, surprisingly for a science assessment i am comparing the speeds of shuttlecocks and have a few questions to ask.

1. Generally are crappy plastic shuttles meant to be faster or slower than nylon and feather shuttles? (Please note that this is not off a smash but simply a drop of about 5 metres)

2. In a shuttle are you looking forfast or slow speed?

3. Does temperature effect the speed of a shuttle that much?

4. Do Nylon, crappy plastic or feathered shuttles last the longest?

Thats about it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Hi Stinge,

I am not the biggest expert in the world on shuttles but I will help as much as I can.

1. When Yonex and other companies make nylon shuttles they carry out lots of tests and experiments to try and replicate the flight and speed of a feather shuttle as closely as possible. Now as anyone who has ever played with feathers and nylons knows they do not play the shame, but there is not a huge amount of difference, so as long as you consistently use one or the other it should be ok. I am not sure but I think you will find that feather shuttles are a little heavier than nylons.

2. In a shuttle you are looking for the right speed. It shouldn't be too fast or too slow but just right. And the speed of the shuttle should be tested before you start to play.

3. Shuttles are sold in different speeds in different countries round the world because temperature and humidity effect how fast shuttles fly. So for examples shuttle fly very fast in south east asia where it is very hot and humid, but if you play somewhere like Denmark where it is colder the shuttles fly slower. But where ever you play in the world the shuttles should fly at the same speed. So shuttles are graded for speed and they use faster shuttles in Denmark and slower shuttles in asia.

4. Nylon shuttles last much, much longer.

I think that is all right, but if anyone knows any better please feel free to correct me.

I hope that helps? :)

Alaric

3. Stinge

Stinge New Member

Thank you very much Alaric.

What I thought was that generally feather shuttles would be faster than nylon and crappier plastic models because they would be the 'ideal' speed for the area then followed by nylon and other plastic models because they could not replicate the same speed.

After doing the test it was interesting to find that the $4 pack of crappy plastic shuttles were faster than the $11 nylon ones. However I have not done the feathered ones yet.

But I was wondering would the change in temperature from early to late afternoon also make a difference?

Thanks again

4. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

Try the Mavis 500, I tried it today and i started off very sceptical but by the end of the session I was smiling... they are very very durable, slight is similar (not perfect but not too bad) and they fly straight for much longer.... =) we were happy.