HELP: whichs clamps to buy

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by martin8768, Oct 9, 2008.

1. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    hey guys i just got a new 2008 Silent Partner CRUMP
    here is a link to the retail page http://sptennis.com/stringer.asp#CRUMP
    and a link to my flickr for detailed photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/martin8768/sets/72157607577123360/

okay so here is my question:

Should i get badminton swivel clamps or floating clamps? and which ones?

I have looked at the Hi-qua/MSB floating clamps and here good things about them. one pair is 40$ thats great (free shipping too and i have to make a order their anyways) and eagnas PN-1013 clamps on. if their is any other option out their please let me know.

price is a huge factor, im a student and i cant spend a lot on stuff. and i will be stringing from 19 to 26lbs

2. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    It all comes down to price/speed/preference. Fixed clamps will cost more but are supposed to be faster. Some people find that stringing with flying clamps is faster and the tensions come out better. The Yonex flying clamps are in my opinion, the best badminton flying clamp out there mainly for two reasons:

1) One of the tighest flying clamps
    2) The edge is pointy, you can actualy fit two clamps into one square to minimize distance between back to back clamping.

A lot of people actually get 2 HQ and 2 Yonex flying clamps for badminton stringing if they don't want to go down the fixed clamps road. If you're going 26lbs, I suggest that you get at least 4 flying clamps if you choose not to go fixed clamps.

Here's a thread on the Yonex Flying ones for reference.
    http://badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56621&page=3

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Having tried fly clamps a while ago I was not satisfied at all. While undeniably faster, I believe they are inherently worse at holding tension than fixed clamps and I always ended up with distorted crosses. They have problems with fan patterns (Prince etc). Also, if a racket comes in that wants tension in the 28lb+ range you're might struggle.

Since I can do a racket in 35-40 mins now with fixed clamps, flys offer no advantage any more. Investing in swivel clamps takes any uncertainty out of the equation: you will be able to do any badminton racket with any pattern at any tension.

http://www.eagnas.com/store/index.php?cPath=39&osCsid=002b1033db210573065e4e26bdcf09e8

I got the PN-1013 style clamps with my machine as a cost option and they work absolutely fine, but I am thinking of getting the 1004s as they can be put much closer to each other and to the frame thanks to their smaller size. $80 for the pair is a slightly high price IMO, but you might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere (or even haggle with Eagnas and get $10 or so off for buying two).

As you say, though, students can't always splurge on anything so, if you end up going down the fly clamp route, I would seriously recommend a locking-type (like the 3091) rather than a spring-type. It's possible to use one of these as a sarting clamp, so you won't have to buy one of those either.;)

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If you are very careful and use Yonex clamp on the cross, fly clamp will be OK for up to 28lb without a problem.
    If money and speed is not an issue, get the fix clamp. Much better job.

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    For cross stringing, Four Yonex flying clamps are good at 35 lbs or more :D.

6. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i've decided to get a pair of Hi-qua clamps because of the price. and i will look into getting a pair of yonex clamps very soon as they are much better for crosses apparently. and with 4 you can use 2 per tensioning. i think thats right, so next question is were can i get reasonably priced yonex clamps because MSB has JP ones that are 80$ for a pair -.- i could have gotten fixed clamps for that price

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    They certainly held @ 33lbs on the cross! Dang, Pete is like those little devils on your shoulder that keeps tempting you to try higher!!! 33x36.3lbs attempts might come sooner than I predicted :p

If you want the Flying clamps for cheap, buy them from watdon, they're rediculously low priced at 8 Pounds each. That's where we purchased ours from and they're the JP ones that are sold on MBS. :) At that price, 4 Yonex's are cheaper than 4 HiQua's from MBS!

http://www.watdon.co.uk/wd-strings/

#7 Optiblue, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  8. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

badmintonalley.com

9. hellojeffo

hellojeffo Regular Member

Undergrad
    whoa, martin, you string tennis racquets too.. just like me! How's the crank for tennis? I prefer drop weights though