What is a good Yonex racket for $100-130 CAD?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Sgt_Strider, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Hi, I live in Vancouver, B.C and was wondering what is a good racket within that price range? I heard that the isometric series were the better ones but I'm not quite sure as I duno much about these stuff. I would classify myself as a intermediate player and somewhat in between offensive and defensive. I don't have alot of power to do a powerful smash but can smash it when the opportunity come. I would prefer a light racket but whichever suits my style then I will adjust to it. Thx and sorry for the bad english :(.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Go to Tad's on Granville/72nd or Abbie's at Main/33rd to check out the various racquets.

I would think that you should be able to get a MP55 for around 130.00 but there are other brands available like Victor, Winex, Carlton, Babolat, etc that might be more reasonablely priced. For example, with Winex, you probably could get Ti-12 (full titanium mesh) or SQ-800 or SQ-600 which are in your price range. You might also want to check out the Winex Ti Swing Power (Audina's Limited Edition). You can get Winex racquets at Tads.

Other Yonex racquets that you can get within your price range include the ISO 97VF (personally not my choice).

Good luck.

3. Sgt_Strider

isn't the mp55 heavy racket? I don't have that kind of strength to take advantage of it...

4. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Heavy? Sorta.. but not really........ MP-55 is 2U which is aboug 90-95 grams.... it is a even balanced racquet...

I used mp-55 before and I thought it was really good... I am pretty weak also! ... For that price range... mp-55 is best buy.. VF series sorta sux :) Besides.. process of getting used to mp-55 will make you stronger :D

Winex has racquets in that price range which are light.. I've never played with them before... but mia audina uses winex and shes good! Well.. I suppose it's the player and not the racquet.. but still can't be bad if mia audina uses it..

5. Sgt_Strider

are there any other yonex alternatives?

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    For a lighter racquet, you should take a look at the Winex Ti Swing Power (currently released as the Audina's Limited Edition). There are two versions, the MS and the MA. The lighter one, MA, is 4U which is 81-84g. I am not entirely sure how much Tads is selling it for but would suggest that you go in and take a look. Maybe you can negiotate string and stringing be included.

In terms of weight, most racquets are in the 2U (90-95g) and 3U (85-89g) range and the racquet will feel heavier or lighter depending on its balance point (hence the reference to head-heavy or head-light racquets).

The Swing Power has a bigger isometric head frame than normal ISO frame and so gives you a bigger sweetspot.

Good luck.

7. Sgt_Strider

4u is a little too light right? I think a 3u is as far as I'll go. I think I would want to stick with the yonex brand :).

8. TDotSmAsHer

THere are other brands out there beside Yonex..... however.. if you decide to stick to Yonex... I really encourage you to get mP-55 ... for that price range... the VF is not really that great.. I've only tried one VF though.. TI-5 is light but not as good as mp-55.... ti-5 costs slightly more too I think... but I THINK ..ti-5 comes in 3u..

9. Sgt_Strider

alright but how much is the mp-77 in canadian dollars? Also its lighter and longer than the mp-55 so if its not signifigantly more expensive than that, then I might consider that...

10. TDotSmAsHer

MP-77 comes in 2U or 3U but I think 2U is better.. yes it's 1 CM longer..

MP-77 in Canadian dollars cost around $190 after tax.........

11. Sgt_Strider

nevermind I've just call tad's and the mp-77 is $189 CAd compared to $129 for the mp-55. Just one quick question, is the mp-55 heavier than a isometric go light, which is what i'm using right now?. If so how much heavier and will I really notice it?

12. TDotSmAsHer

5 grams heavier then 3U.......... what is isometric go light? Let's put it this way.. if the "isometric go light" is steel or aluminum.. then mp-55 is lighter obviouslY :)

MP-55 is really not heavy..... unless you've been playing with 3u racquets all your life mp-55 will not seem heavy... I am weak... just ask some people on this forum who's played with me b4 :) but I use ti-10 and mp-100 which are slightly heavier then mp-55.... besides.. if you're really that weak then you'll eventually get stronger anyways ......

If indeed you've been playing with 3u racquets all your life and you do notice that mp-55 is sorta heavy for you... then it's just a matter of spending time with the racquet and getting used to it......

I think you should go to the store and actually take a few swings with mp-55.. and see if u like it... or if you know anyone with it then ask them if you could try it out...

13. Sgt_Strider

Hey thx for the info and I don't think I'm that weak. A friend just lend me his yonex racket and it have "isometric go light" on the racket. Anyway one last thing, how would the ti-7 titanium mesh and the ti-5 light compare to the mp-55 and what are the prices for the ti-7 titanium mesh and the ti-5 light? Thx

14. TDotSmAsHer

TI-7 is same price as MP-77 or ever so slightly more... in Canada that is..

Well.. if Isometric Go light is a lower end racquet... I think MP-55 will take some time getting used to because it will probably be stiffer then "Isometric Go Light"....... but then again.. any new racquet you use you'll probably need time to adjust to it....

MP-55 is an excellent racquet at a good price.... entry level muscle power racquet....

I think once you have a mid to high end racquet.. you can switch to a more expensive racquet or whatever but you will still play almost the same because it's the skills and not the racquet.....

I use TI-10 and Mp-100 yet I'm not very good at badminton.. in fact.. I sorta stink! ... I'm getting better though ... actually .. I'm thinking of selling one of my racquets and spending the money for more court time :)

15. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    Hey hey!!! Don't Diss the VF series. The Isometric 96 VF with a TM is really good.

16. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Hmm....
    I would have agreed with you 3 years ago tonten, when I was a newbie to badminton. But as you get better in technique, you will realize that this racquet is HEAD-LIGHT (more head light than TiSP SA), causing the racquet to have really weak smashes and uncomfortable dropshots since you will have less feel. Well that's my opinion, which is PERSONAL PREFERENCE .....I know lot's of ppl hate those 2 words....:p

17. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    For some reason, I like light rackets better as I can put more of more own power into my smashes and other shots.

18. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    if i were you i'd choose a different brand than yonex, with 100 dollars you can way better raquets than what yonex is providing for that price range

19. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    i'd say mp-55 is the best buy if u really want a yonex, keep in mind u still have to string it. which will cost around 25 bucks or so

20. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I think that a Yonex Isometric 87 VF is good for you. I have one. It may be slightly over your budget but its probibly cheaper in canada so you can get it for 120 or 130 canadian. It is not heavy nor the lightest racquet. I think it is 3U and it has good control and passable smash power. The racquet is not designed for a smash every time player so it would suit you. Have a think about it