How much improvement can you get in 2 1/2 months?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Oct 9, 2008.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

How much improvement can you get in 2 1/2 months? Say you play around 1 hour and 45 minutes for 2 and 1/2 months. With conditioning and footwork and stuff. How much can you improve? Will it be noticeable? And you are playing with players not as good as you?

2. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    You will improve proportional to how hard you practice.

1 1/2 hours in 2 1/2 months? Don't you mean an 1 1/2 every day for 2 1/2 months?

If I had that much practice, I think I would improve drastically. Even if all I did was shadow drills. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to do that. I really need to start now before the season starts.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    'Not specific' questions are always difficult to answer

:D:D:D CkcJsm ... 'Not specific' questions are always difficult to answer.

But, I would like to comment on 'playing with players not as good as you'.

Think of the current top 2 players in the world, Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan. They are improving day by day. They are always training with players not as good as them.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking that you will never improve if you are playing with 'weaker' players.

:):):)

4. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Oh really? Thanks about the weaker players. I heard you improve slowly with weaker players. Also, I heard you can even deprove. lol.
    But the players there are not only a bit weaker than me. Because it the only class that fits my schedule. >.>
    But it is still fun. :)

sorry, I didn't know where to put this thread.

5. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Who told you that?

As long as your opponent can clear far enough, and move around, you can improve. You won't improve if your opponent can barely get to a clear, or lose to you 21-2.

I personally think if your opponent loses to you by 8 or less points, they are the best to practice on. Because then you can practice controlling the shots more. Compared to a player who makes you run like crazy. Yes you can practice running like crazy, but then it would be very hard to create a proper stroke when you can't even get there fast enough. Against weaker players you have more time to perfect your technique.

6. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

Lee CW always doing a training by 3 vs 1...1 on the front of net and another two is behind the base line....he need to try kill 3 of them to get the only point while the 3 person just stand on their own position to do their own job which is clear base , smash and drop while Lee CW need to do all the thing...if u can do so ... then u will be improved dam fast

here is the lee defending training video clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuShfAhfDdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stpxeCIdWzw

#6 chongkiatz, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  7. iyusim

iyusim Regular Member

Well as far as I see it you need to consider those things:
    1. Start level
    2. Goal
    3. How hard are you willing to work to get there

and of course your coach.

2 monthes period is enough to put you in a high level as long as you make a good training program including test to let you know if you are making a prograss.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    wow, only 1.75 hrs of playing in 2.5 months? u'll improve... nothing.

9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    :p:p:p stop finding loop holes in people's words :p:p:p

in all honesty, the quality of your training, not quantity will determine your improvement. not only that, consider that the closer you get to the top, the slower your improvements seem to be. if you look at Lee and Lin, they hardly seem to be playing that much better, despite non-stop training. yet a beginner will appear to improve drastically in a year or two. sometimes it doesn't seem like your shots and skills improve, but your mental and tactical game improves, and you won't see the benefits of that until later

10. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

I would like to make top 8 this year.
    But some of the players can clear somewhat, drop somewhat(no to low ones though) Sometimes this one player that I usually play with can't clear 4 times in a row.
    I didn't know about the weaker things. My parents both used to play, so my mom mentioned how if you play with weaker players you won't improve. They always told me to train with players that are better then me.
    So, I'm not sure how much I will improve or if I will make the top 8 players. I'm hoping I can improve decently and noticeable improvement by 2 1/2 months.
    Thanks.

11. smashingmark

smashingmark Regular Member

Hi there... During my training days, if i were to play 2 and a half months and everyday, I could improve alot. However it also depends on the training schedule and how focused you are at training.

Younger kids who do not focus on a training drill for example will take a longer time however if you are focusing in mastering a skill, and when you do focus on it, you will work on it until you perfect it and everytime you make a mistake, you would think and ask what went wrong to make an adjustment.
    I think thats important in a training whereby you know continue to ask yourself why and what for every action done.

I do agree with you CKcJsm that in Badminton we need to help each other out in training. Yes we do train with people weaker than us and yes they will help us improve for sure. An example, for singles, we'll play 3players vs 1 player. Not all players will be of the same standard however with 3 players its an advantage for the weaker players to improve while they play with a better player and for the better player, what you need to ensure is that you try to win every shot and secondly when you make a shot, do it with accuracy. If a good player is focused and discipline in the court, he/she will improve fast when playing with all sorts of players.

In my younger days, me and my partner were a sparing partners for FOO KOK KEONG, RASHID SIDEK, YAP THIAM WENG, etc when they were all national players. Even though we were 16 then and they we 25 national players, they too needed our help to gain fitness, better their strokes and whatever else.

Well this is a topic which I would cover in my badminton blog soon and I'll get my other badminton partners to talk about it.. its an interesting topic.

ciao
    smashingmark.wordpress.com

12. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    If you can, I suggest that you make an outline of what aspects of your game you want to improve on that fits your alloted timeframe. That should help you focus. Near the end, focus on merging all the different skills that you've gained.

Just playing around randomly won't get you the results you want. - my 2 cents

13. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

ah(Bump)
    Like I play twice a week for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
    How much improvement will I see in 2 months?
    I also have bad habits I need to get rid off....

Thanks.

14. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    and theres nobody there that can kinda guide you and help you get rid of your bad habbits? or? cause if you keep training with yoru bad habbits your only going to get better with your bad habbits so in the long run thats disadvantagous since you would have to unlearn all that and relearn the proper stuff easy for some hard for others.

2 times a week for almost 4 hours well if your determined and have a solid trainign plan and stick to it then you would see some improvelemnt. theres no real way to tell exactly how much improvement you will see because some people improve at different paces. when i started training there were people who would beat me within a year i was already beating them consistintly and they were training for 3-4 years longer than me.

it all depends on your determination, your work ethic, what your training plan is like as well as to stick to all of it and push through givinign it 100% all the time your on the court. just cause the players are weaker than you doesnt mean they cant feed you shuttles not every drill has to be in a rally. and with them learning how to feed it actually helps their game out too teaching them how to control the shuttle and everything.

well best of luck hope that all goes well with you, let us know how it is maby post a few videos or something if you need help/advice on any bad habbits you think you might have.

15. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Well you have to agree on lesser players can mean alot, someone mentioned lin dan and someone more and said they trained against lesser skilled players every day. Well thats true but their opponents sure can play and give them a good run for their money whilst me when playing with my not so good at badminton friend for fun is basically me standing in the middle while he is running around the court. If your opponent is to bad you wont see that much improvement in my opinion atleast, I would rather find someone better then you atleast for me thats where i improve most.

16. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    play with people that give you a challenge physically!... once you get in better shape and the challenge seems like an every-day thing to you... practice making your conditioning as CRAZY as you can make it with proper footwork and everything.

practice accuracy more rather than power no matter what kind of player you are. (practice as in continuous drills of the same thing)

play a little as much as you can when you have the time even if it is not 'officially' for practice. even if not on the court i practice power control by hitting the shuttle up as high as i can without hitting the ceiling of the room (indoors)..... this actually helps for all shots, not just drops and other 'soft' shots.

always eat something before you play and rest at least half an hour before you play.