Do you grip tape over the original one ??

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Voda, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Voda

Voda Regular Member

student
    Hi,

I 'd like to know how people normally wrap their racket handles.

With a new racket, do people usually re-tape the grip or just use the original one?
    If re-taping it, do you tape straight over the original one OR do you take off the original one first and tape with the new one?

2. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Well I'm a wierdo, so I grip my racquets differently...:rolleyes:
    First, I take off the original grip and then I wrap the wooden handle with a layer of seran wrap (the thin plastic for foods?) and then I wrap it around with a layer of overgrip. Then I wrap another layer of seran wrap and another layer of grip.

It usually takes about 30mins for me to regrip my racquets.....lol...:p

3. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    I never remove the original, just wrap 1 or more grips over it, depending whether it
    is a g3/g4 size. Also there are all different kind (thick/thin) of grips. It also has to do with personal preference. I prefer a rather thick grip.

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I take off the original grip, exposing the wooden handle. Then I wrap the handle with a layer of electrical tape.
    (BTW, electrical tape is the solution for so many badminton equipment related problems)
    When this layer of electrical tape is on, I wrap whatever grip I'm using on top. This is usually a Karakal PU Grip.
    When glue from the grips builds up on the electrical tape, I simply replace the layer of electrical tape.

Phil

5. modious

modious Regular Member

I will always take out the original grip as well, exposing the wooden handle. Then I will put either one or two layers of Gamma Gauze Tape and use it as the base.
    I will then wrap whatever I want to put on top of the gauze. The gauze is good because it really lasts for a long time. Even when you take out the grip that you put above it, glue from grips very seldom remain on the gauze. It also helps protect your wooden handle!

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I prefer a thicker grip, so I leave the original grip on, but put on one or two layers of overgrip (Prince DuraTred), depending on the handle size.

7. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I never ever would remove the original as it keeps the racket n original state if you were to sell it and well I just do it that way. Also I would never use a racket unless it had a laver o grp over the original. I prefer a tacky feel grip and replace the grip whever it get dirty or wears out (whatever comes first). I think that baby blue is an awesome colour fo grip. Even though it seems feminine it looks good. Grip is one of the most important parts of the racket because if you feel uncomfortable you will play bad.

8. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    and by putting an overgrip on the original it preserves the original for the next user (if you plan to sell it because rackets hold a good value)

9. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    Grips.

My hands are of only average size, but recently, I seem to play significantly better with a thicker grip. The most noticeble improvement are my net shots, where they seem to have become a lot tighter to the net. Now I have three layers of grip on my racket. The first is just the standard yonex one on new rackets, followed by a Karakal one, which is not as thick as the Yonex graps, and finally a normal yonex grap. Has anyone had similar experiences?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    OK, I used to think that. After having overwrapped with another grip and playing after several months, the orginal grip turns into a terrible condition.

One day, I had the bright idea of not removing the clear plastic wrapping around the handle and wrapping the overgrip as usual. I reasoned the original grip will still be in a good condition. After some months, I peeled off the overgrip and teh plastic wrapping. The orginal grip wasn't anywhere near as the original condition. It had become compressed and a bit mucky.

So I don't think another user would have even wanted the original grip.

If the racquet doesn't have the orginal grip, I still pretty happy. (In my younger days(!), I thought keeping the orginal grip was pretty important.)