is the grip tape supposed to be tacky? but I hate it!

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Voda, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Voda

Voda Regular Member

student
    I don't understand why people always say "the grip has a nice and tacky feel" ? cause tacky is like sticky, right? I found most of the grip tapes on the market are way too "sticky" and personally i feel this stickiness limits my control on the racket. It kind of feels like my palm is super-glued to the handle !! Maybe some people love this kind of feel but I really hate it, so if I can't find any grip that has less sticky touch, then I am gonna LUBRICATE it !!!

2. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Usually, a new grip will feel very "tacky." However, after a little while, the tackiness will wear off some, and it will not be so sticky. This is because of the sweat from your hands. If your hands sweat alot, like mine, then the tackiness will wear down faster than if your hands sweat little or not at all.

So basically, if it's too sticky for you, try playing for a few hours, and see if it's better.

Phil

3. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    There are several different kind of grip in the market, some are not tacky at all, for example the Prince No Sweat and the Wilson H2O, they are both ultra dry and thin. You can try and see if you will like it.

4. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    it should be tack enough as to not slip out of your hand if they were sweaty but no feel as if you hand is glued to the handle