Mavis 500 - they're actually ok

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by gumpy_999, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

Today I had my first ever session with the mavis 500...

we decided to give them a go because the feather durability wasn't very good and it's very annoying when they start curving... They're also expensive...

After 2 hrs of play, the mavis still flies straight.

Isn't too different from a "average" feather shuttle.

The shuttle looks like it last another 2-4 hrs. Everyone was still smiling at the end of the session...

Give them a try... honestly, if you're playing for social or semi-serious competition, these are very nice.

2. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS
    true that

unfortunately many hate change

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Mavis 500 or any plastic shuttles are not for the real badminton players. They do not behave like shuttles at all. You will only spoil your game with plastics.

4. trickflick

HS
    i would like to think of that there are two types of badminton
    1) w/ feathers
    2) w/ plastics

each game has its distinctive techniques and strategies.
    anyway, its not like i would ever become the world's top ten in badminton, i play for fun thats all

5. trickflick

HS
    i find it funny, too, how you mention that mavis 500 or any plastic shuttles are not for "real badminton players"

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, I am a strong advocate against use of plastic shuttles because plastics degrade the beautiful game of badminton. Plastics are not close to feathers, the former have no body but just a 'fishing' net with holes that are molded together to look like a 'skirt'. Just cut out a feather from a feather shuttlecock and cut out a similarly sized piece from the plastic's 'skirt' and put them side by side. You will be shocked how different they are.
    Plastics are not being considered even by beginners in the strong Asian badminton countries. Its extensive use in North America is one reason why it is so hard for them to play the beautiful game the way it should be played, barring those select few who know better.

7. trickflick

HS
    once again, you fail to note my previous post. i have searched these forums here and have seen a great many of your posts. it seems that you really hate nylon shuttlecocks;);)

many of your points are very true, some are exaggerated; but still sure you do make a point. playing w/ nylons is very different than playing w/ feathers. as i said previously though, playing w/ nylons and playing w/ feathers is as different as badminton and tennis or at least that is how i choose to view it. neither is better than the other when playing for fun. i, being in so-cal and being exposed to badminton in high school grew up playing w/ nylon so nylon is my norm:eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

point is, 99 percent of us are playing badminton for fun so we should be able to choose whatever the heck we like. if badminton truly requires this "technique" and "skill", that you say nylon jeopardizes, to be fun, i wouldve given badminton up when i started:D:D:D

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Of course there is room for nylon badminton but only on the beaches, public parks and during picnics as part of the total fun. In the East here, even at such places many use feathers. Plastics are completely absent from the more than 1, 000 indoor badminton courts in Hong Kong. The same is true all over Asia.
    However, it appears that this is not the case in North America where plastics have invaded the hallowed indoor courts of badminton. Here in Asia this could be considered a sacrilege.
    Yes, both feathers and plastics can be played for fun, but in Asia they have fun in their separate ways-plastics for places such as beaches and public parks, feathers for the real game indoors-never shall the twine meet.

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I would like to beg the differ. If the MAV500 cost 20% more than the crappy duck feather one and has better flight path and durability then the crappy duck feather one. Why not use the M500? You may be able to get good feather shuttles about the same price as M500. However many people do not have the option. It is either crappy feather that die after 2 clears or flies 2 x the length of the court vs M500. I for 1 will suggest best plastic shuttle for the budget of the player. That is the point we try to make. Not snutty comments.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    M300 is about 16$ CAD here, so for a doz, it is 32$ +gst or ~34$.
    definitely more expensive than AS20-30 on initial purchase price comparison.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

is that why badminton is so hard to get popularized in north amercia because we spend too much time on the beaches and parks instead of in the courts with mercury and sodium lamps?

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Relative to earning power feathers cost more for Asians than North Americans. So there is no excuse about the high feathers costs in North America.
    I strongly believe that the extensive use of plastics in North America, especially among the young, is a major reason for its low standard of badminton. Also there is a great mismatch or misuse in using expensive branded racquets on cheapy plastics. The US was a major badminton power in the 1950s when plastics never saw the light of day in any US courts. Today, how things have turned for the worse and as a consequence the North Americans have got it all so wrong. Badminton needs North Americans to regain their earlier eminence but its new found plastics badminton foundation has now sealed its fate as a perpetual bottom finisher.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it's ironic how u embraced hitting feather shuttles with fishing lines:rolleyes:
    wrapped handle with fishing foam and hold rackets with fishing bag:rolleyes:

14. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
    Someone needs to get them a room & get it over with!!!!

15. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Badminton has not made a great deal of impact in the United States except for the respective coastal areas, where it is already presumably a high cost to live. Therefore, there is less money being spent on the luxuries of feathers. In Hong Kong, being the prime example here, people do not live in houses, but mostly rent apartments. Therefore, it is unlikely that the cost would affect their budget as much. It is also due to the popularity and the symbolic nature of international-class players, along with influence from mainland China, that there is great publicity. Having over 1,000 indoor courts for badminton use also helps stimulate and potentiate the passion to be involved in the sport and try to attain the eminence of professionals. Such facilities are not widely available in other countries, where the staple of sports does not involve such high ceilings; excluding basketball courts, which are not always suitable to set up nets on. There are very few well-known contemporary badminton players in America or Canada, except to those actively participating in the sport. It is not a well-respected sport at that, and the impact of school tournaments being sponsored by companies such as HL means that nylons will be predominant, even in club play. Students usually are not well-off enough to constantly purchase feathers and with these types of sponsorships and the use of plastics in their gyms, it makes no sense to play with feathers during practice, when the shuttle will not be flying so slowly during interscholastic competition. It then becomes a tradition of plastics.

#15 Tsumaranai, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

since plastic still exist these days since its invention, it proved that plastic shuttles has its good points or else plastic is long gone by now. Using popularity in one locale to put down populairty in another locale as a show of superiority is a dumb illustration. Practically everybody in HK/china live in apt and condo, while majority of north americans lived in single houses with backyard. Does this mean the apt and condo superior to owning houses considering there are way more chineses in china+HK than americans

#16 cooler, Apr 7, 2009
  17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i know a few hardcore feather players only plays aerosensa ie, yonex AS shuttle because they are so used to it and that's because they train, play for tournaments, and tournaments here very often use AS shuttle. Sure they're skilled but they sure don't like applying their skills to play even other brands of feather shuttles. So, do feather players who plays victor, aeroplane, tronex, etc less skilled than feather players who plays yonex AS only?

#17 cooler, Apr 7, 2009
  18. capricorn8

capricorn8 Regular Member

I've just moved to Toronto from the Philippines bringing along with me a tube of feather shuttlecocks. I was surprised on my first visit to a badminton court here. I'm the only one using feathers!?

I went to SportChek to replenish my feathers but I only saw Mavis nylons. I'm very hesitant to switch to nylons so I would like to know which nylon shuttlecock plays closest to feathers?

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    aye....

everyone, please keep the discussion civil and respectful, keep all arguments logical and sensical, or else... :cool:

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Now you know why badminton is not progressing well in North America.
    I am afraid to say there are no nylons that come close to feathers. Of course you can still get feathers in Toronto or have them shipped over from Asia.
    My advice is to stay away from nylons because that is the surest way to unlearn all the strokes you have learned in the Philippines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.