Mental Trainer for LCW?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by smashingmark, Oct 13, 2008.

1. smashingmark

smashingmark Regular Member

What do you guys think of it? Honestly I’m glad that the NSC and Misbun share the same opinion as myself that Chong Wei needed a mental trainer. I think its a good move for them to have a mental trainer for our players as honestly I think most of our players lack that mental strength. However there are a few arguement points which I've stated in my blog.. smashingmark.wordpress.com

check it out or post your view here..

cheers
    smashingmark.wordpress.com

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

hmm, well, depends how one looks at it. Sports science (including sports psychologist) have been used by other countries for years, winning OG gold too. Nowadays, sports is becoming so competitive, we have to keep up with the times.

In terms of LCW, it's not a new thing, it's just Msia MS used it late,i.e. starting end of 2007 for LCW. He acknowledged it's very helpful for him, & he's comfortable with this particular psychologist, so, by all means.......

Apparently the doubles dept have been using it ever since Rexy came on board. Having the Sports Science Institute & all those experts there but not making use of them is a waste, since they're there anyway.

Support services in terms of mental trainer, pysio, etc are good support....if the players & coaches follow the programme.

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Did Fred accompany LCW in DO07 and FO07?I can understand physical trainers supporting players (common in tennis) but mental training, when effective , should be internalised before the tournament.
    There's a high opportunity cost.May be better to use Fred's place to send a MJ instead for exposure.
    LCW has to be clear what his real problem is.In JO08,his physical conditioning and match preparations looked inadequate,so Fred's support wouldn't help.Being WR1 does not guarantee a title. It just means the WR1 has performed better, more often, than the rest.
    The competition for winning titles is so close now that the margin is retina-thin.The difference lies very much in how comprehensive the match preparations are.
    If LCW needs to consult Fred, there's always the telephone.Just remember to charge to BAM.Otherwise Fred may be having a holiday most of the time when a MJ could be working.Besides, did LCW win his most recent 6 titles with Fred there every time?
    What LCW may consider is playing selective SS.Being WR1,his objective is to maintain his position, either winning titles or protecting his WR points.He may not have won the last two tournaments but he has done well to protect his WR points, so his objective has been met.He should skip CO08 to take a much needed break after DO08 and FO08 and consider HKO08 participation depending on his DO08 and FO08 earned points.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    the only true and effective mental train is himself. i doubt getting a trainer will help that much. the problem lies, and will only be solved by oneself.