Noob Question....Racket feels a little dead.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by griffo, Oct 13, 2008.

1. griffo

griffo Regular Member

Hi Guys, The answer to my Question is probably a really obvious one but....

Recently My racket has felt a little dead when hitting the shuttle, Kinda feels and sounds different and has lost power,

now for a little background. I Consider myself to be a fairly new player but my racket is around 6 to 7 years old. I bought it back in the day for playing in school. It was used for a year or two then sat in its bag for 4 to 5 years. Ive been playing for round 5 months now and the racket definitely feels different than it did a month again.

The racket still has the original strings that it came with when I bought it. I think this may be the problem but im not sure. Also the shaft feels more flexible than it used to although this could just be me looking for things worng with it.

The Racket is a Yonex ISO 86 VF

If re stringing is the answer could you plese provide me with a rough price for re stringing with some decent strings as I dont want to get ripped off

Thanks Guys

Griffo

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Strings are probably too old and dead to feel good anymore. Just restring at ~22lbs with BG65 and it should be okay again.

3. griffo

griffo Regular Member

the sticker on my racket says 16-20lbs, will 22 be ok? I dont want to brake the racket.

4. Athelete1234

Student
    The sticker is just for warranty purposes. Unless your racquet has big cracks everywhere.....22lbs is definately okay.

5. griffo

griffo Regular Member

Thanks very much guys :) I shll try to find somewhere to get it re strung

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If you are just getting back into badminton and you were using factory strings before, you may not wish to go to 22lb tension.

For the wonderfully experienced players here, 22lb would be considered quite low....but if you are used to 18lb (or whatever the factory tension had dwindled to) you might find that a bit of a jump. The racket might seem like hitting with a piece of wood. 20lb this time round might be a good start to see if you can find that old feeling your racket had before.

I'm not telling you what to do, just giving another (closer to noob) opinion to consider.:)

7. Athelete1234

Student
    Well 20lbs +1-2lbs is playable for practically anybody, especially guys. Not to mention with BG65, it'll drop to ~20lbs anyways shortly.

8. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I would say 22lbs should be fine as your racquet is probably more flexible than when it was new.