What must i do to get a flexible and fast wrist?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

hello there! I realised that those professionals have a very flexible and fast wrist, thus able to change the flight of the shuttle even at the latest moments, besides that a fast n flexible wrist will oso allow you to execute the whipping action and then it will generate alot of power. So is there any drills or exercise i can do to make my wrist flexible and fast? I heard hitting the shuttlecock against the wall is a good idea but hw good is it?Its not very effective rite?:confused:

2. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    i need to learn this too any tips will be great

3. iyusim

iyusim Regular Member

Well playing against the wall is one thing.

I have two drills that I use with my joniour team.
    The drills are with a heavier racket (you can do it with a regular racket with head case or light squash racket at the non-shuttle drills)

1. Without a shuttle - try holding you racket and swing it in very fast & short movements. Each time from a different angle (exmp: backhand defense, forhand overhead). after 20-30 sec stop and strech your hands and wrist.

2. With shuttle - A partner should stand infront of you and through shuttle at you. Your goal is to hit the shuttle infront of you with the same short and fast movement you made in first part.

4. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Discussed a lot in badminton wheteher this is true or not. I think there are at least to schools. Also "wrists" are very different from person to person, and you cannot change that. "wrist" understood only as the joint between forearm and hand, is for me very stiff compared to other and instead I try to make more advantage of supination and pronation.
    So most important what do you mean by Wrist, flexible and whip?

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I found a great tip on the Zhao Jianhua training DVDs: try swinging a bottle of water around, by the neck, in a figure 8 pattern. In the video coach Xiao (a lady) could do this with a pretty big bottle, whereas the trainee (a fairly beefy guy) couldn't, so it must work:).

Also, if the bottle is only partly full an interesting effect occurs - as the water wants to slosh around, the wrist is tested to a better extent (as it has to keep the motion going smoothly).

6. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

hey great tip!sounds good, shall try it out thx!

7. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    A flexible,fast n strong wrist.

Hi Tekkai,
    Why dont u try the following drills:

(1) Grab a hand grip in yr hand and hold it for a minute or two. Select a hand grip which has the higher tension n which take quite alots of strength to grip:p The purpose here is to strength yr fingers n yr lower arm strength.;) U got to do this frequently in order to see improvement.

(2) Use a weight roller and start practise weight rolling. The minimum weight shld at least 3kgs to start with. If u have a powerful wrist, then increase the weight accordingly.:p

(3) Use an old Wooden squash racket and cover the racket 's surface a cardboard cut to its size and put scotch tape to provide resistance during swinging. Start practise swinging with this racket n practise yr wrist with it.:D

NB: Frequency of practice n intensity is needed in order to see improvement.
    Hope the above will help.
    Lee;)

#7 Notnimdab729, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  8. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Wun this 2 exercise have the same effect as the one im doin now?? currently im doing reverse and normal wrist curls with a 5kg dumbell, 2 sets and 60 repetitions.:)

josellechris likes this.
  9. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    A strong, flexible n fast wrist.

Hi Tekkai,
    Why not u try these exercises and see the differences?;)
    (1)Ok, for weight rolling, do use a wooden rod or metal rod with the rope tie in the center which attach to a weight n roll upward. Yr rod should be just sufficient for yr hand to grip it confortably. As compared to using dumbbells, dumbbell grips are big n the weight is concentrated at yr hand/wrist level, so the movement of yr pulling up the weight is limited n small. With a weight roller, yr hand/wrist movement is almost continuous n this is more effective.;)
    (2)If u use a strong hand grips, grip it for one to two minutes for each repetition, actually u are building up yr fingers power/hand power and also lower arm power. This is different from dumbbell curls.;)
    When yr fingers/hand and arm getting stronger, u will find yr drives,push n flick pretty effective.:D
    Try it n see the differences.;)
    Lee:D

#9 Notnimdab729, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  10. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

OK ic looks lyk its quite effective..thx!

11. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

1. rope hopping... try to focus on the swing using your wrists...
    2. pumping with only the finger-tip touching the ground...

3 times a day and after a month, you will see the improvement...
    of course, don't over-work it... do it at your pace...

12. Nsmaling

Nsmaling Regular Member

Student
    Buy a powerball it works perfectly:p

13. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Dumbell wrist curls works perfectly. Add to that play drives and defense with the wall at fast pace using mostly just your wrist and forearm swing for power. More wrist instead of relying on forearm would be better ofcourse. You can also do this with a squash racket if you're strong enough.

14. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

15. BadMNTN_abner

BadMNTN_abner Regular Member

student

yeah, this tip is great. me, i use dumbells. but pet battles are ok for variations..

16. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

Just ordered one from here http://www.powerball.com.my/shop :cool: Most basic model. RM 98

The site itself looks a bit shady...all black and green. Like hacker site.
    But anyway, i used the C.O.D option and the no credit card info given. So probably ok.

Hey if it doesn't help with the training , at least it's gonna be fun. I looked at the videos in utube. Some guys really go crazy with it.

U see the guy's hand keep shaking. Issit because of the powerball or because the guy is trying to hard to get higher score?

17. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    No. You still have to bank in $CASH$ to their Maybank account (which is company account number), only then they will process your order. My order number is 007 (QOS), so it is fairly new, but i like to get hold of this product. Anyone successfully ordered this product?

18. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

But I thought C.O.D is a service by the post office. The deliver the parcel. We pay to the post man. Then they go and collect from the post office via money order?

19. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

Hey...i tried logging in to the website again to check on the status of the order. Can't login already....hmmm is that a fake site? Anyone ordered from there before?

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration