What is a good grip that will help prevent blisters from happening?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Sgt_Strider, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Ouch, I really hate the default yonex grips. It have caused 3 blisters on my right hand in 1 week...I'm pretty sure I'm holding it "correctly" and so I'm not quite sure how its caused but maybe a much more specialty grip will take care of that.

2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    hmm.. i used to have the same problem. Are u sure your're not stretching the grip too much when u re-grip your raquet or else it won't be comforatable.

were are your bisters at? just the index finger or what

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Blisters?? I have never heard of this happening. Anyway, maybe this occurs because the grip is too tight and you are litteraly holding onto the wooden handle rather than a grip. To stop this, i would use a cushy grip that allows some give when your tighten up to hit a shot. I hope this helps.

Matt

4. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    firstly I would never recommending using the "default" during play. As soon as you get a racket you either get the shop assistant to grip the racket or you could do it yourself. Mostly I like the tacky feel. Though I would not get a light coloured grip... yellow and white etc because after a day or 2 of serious play the tend to go discoloured due to perspiration issues. But other than that you I recommend a tacky feel grip that is not applied so tightly that you can not feel a bit of cusioning but not to loose that it is going to cause hassle for you. And get a dark coloured one aswell.

5. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Reply for MP-55 paint chip:

So u listened to me and got yourself a mp-55 eh? Good man! How do u like it so far?
    About paint chips.. don't sweat it.... there'll be lots more to come lol.... when I got mp-55 my first paint chip was before I even got to play with it.. I let someone swing it around and they hit the wall or something and chipped it.. lol.. I probably had about 10-12 chips on it b4 it broke (someone sorta ran over it) .... very durable though.. survived manyyy hard clashes hehe..

Grip:

Take off original... wrap 2 layers of prince duratred! The prince duratred on Zero's racquet feels really nice and cushy! :D Use towel if you're rich.... intial price is not that much..... feels really nice at the beginning... turns hard smelly and nasty after bout 2 weeks.. hehe..

6. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Very heavy racket but pack alot of power and not bad control :). I'll give the racket a 7.5/10

7. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    you should leave the original on because it will sell better and its better and more original if its still there

8. TDotSmAsHer

Blah! Take off original I tell you !! It won't increase or decrease the value.... If you resell your racquet it will be resold as used anyways.... so it makes no difference wheater it has original grip or not.... Not to mention most people hate the original grip :) I just don't see how a racquet will resell better with original grip.............

NOT that you should sell such a perfect racquet..... BTW what string/tension did u string yours at? The new MP-55 colour sorta seems to look slightly better then the old mp-55.. butmy old blue/black mp-55 I had 10 + chips on it and you could never see them because MP-55 was a dark coloured racquet... :)

9. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I would pay more if the "default" grip was there than if it wasnt

10. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    It is amazing how things you read in the day get into your mind. I read that post sometime yesterday, and last night I had a dream that I was regripping my racquet with Prince Duratred!! :confused: The grip was about 3 inches wide, and like an inch thick. I also tried to wrap two layers like you said, but there wasn't enough left on the roll. Mind you, I don't know what Prince Duratred looks like!

Weird.

How much more would you pay? Not too much I would think. Is ten dollars more down the road worth blisters on my hand for a year or so now? I don't think so.

Phil

11. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I'd suggest you read the thread on overgrips posted a month or so back, that covered a lot of grips for different people/styles.

Duratread, well I think it was called that because it sorta looks like the tread on old car tyres. Check out this

To be blunt though I can't stand this grip to the extent that I'd give away the other two grips that came in the three pack that I bought, however others like it.

Also Kwun could you please set it up so we can use normal html?

#11 Pecheur, Jul 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2002
  12. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    For some strange reason, I love my Prince Duratred grip!!!....
    Even more than the Yonex Towel Grip!!...:eek:
    There are many reasons why I like it, but the most important one is because it is CHEAP !
    It is only around $8CDN in my area. And after I changed to this grip, my game has improved....:D

But we all got to remember the 2 words everyone loves... personal preference ...:p

13. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Just to know that the default grip is there gives me peice of mind. I wouls throw in and extra 10 bucks for it there.

14. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Well, whenever I buy a racquet. I only do what helps me to improve in playing badminton. If I feel uncomfortable with the original grip on, I will take it off, instead of risking an injury.
    So when I buy a racquet for myself, I never think about the resale value of the racquet since I bought it for many reasons and not just impulse buying.
    Hey, why don't you think of it this way. 10 bucks for the comfort of playing badminton. That's not a bad deal for me.

Oh well, who's to judge. It's just personal preference ...:rolleyes:

15. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

Prince duratred

I absolutely love this grip but i can't seem to find it anywhere. Where did u buy yours at? 8 bukcs is a good deal, =)

16. Chun

Chun Regular Member

I've found those generic blue wrap grips work fine - they absorb hand sweats & gives more traction so your grip won't slip...

But if you have recurring problems with blisters even with various different grips, maybe you might wanna re-evaluate the way you're holding the racquet?

I find that the only times I get blisters is when I hold the racquet incorrectly or if I'm holding the racquet too tightly with my hand during swings.

gluck

17. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

hey GRObFURSt,

i TOTALLY agree with ya GRObFURSt....the original/default grip on a racquet is much better....TDotsmasher, i hate to say this..but in my opinion, i dont' think "MOST" people hate the original. Most players wrap an overgrip (whatever they prefer) over the original...

btw, i would pay more if the original was on there too....just makes the racquet feel complete....as if it weren't tampered with...heh..:D

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    But logically, I would agree with TDotSmasher.

I used to keep the original grip on but it still gets mucky and unusable even with an overgrip on top so what's the point of keeping it on? It doesn't seem to help absorb more sweat...........

But back to the original question. I get blisters on the hand if I have had a long break from playing badmitnon. After a couple of months, they get better. I haven;t had blisters for a long time know which means I have been playing frequently enough for a long time now.:)

19. TDotSmAsHer

Yes, I said "MOST" people hated the original grip... and that is true.. How many of you actually enjoy using the grip Yonex racquets comewith?

Did I say "MOST" people hated having the overgrip over the original grip? I think not...

For all my previous yonex racquets.. I always took the original off then put on 1 or 2 layers of another grip........ With carlton the original grip is not too bad.. the one on the ab900 that is.. I tried using it a few times ... eventually wrapped another grip over it and now it's very comfortable...

As for paying more for racquets with default grip on it "just to make it feel complete... as if it weren't tampered with"....

FIRST OF ALL... I doubt anyone would or can "tamper" with their racquet... like someone is going to try to cut the shaft and super glue on another metal peice to try to make the racquet longer? ...... I doubt "tampering" is an issue unless they break something and try to hide it.... but say they cracked the wood on the handle.... Do you think you can tell easier to tell that it's cracked with the original grip on it... or off? .......

SECONDLY.... If you were buying a "used" racquet.. I doubt you would notice if the original grip was on or off anyways.. since there will most likely be an overgrip.... You would... (or excuse me for assuming you would.. but I WOULD...) .. check for chips... to see how much the racquet was abused and clashed... and for cracks... rather then trying to see if the racquet had an original grip......
    WITH ANY USED RACQUET.. there is always that slight risk of something is wrong with the racquet.... THIS risk can be reduced by taking percautions... such as... if the seller is in your area.. and you've seen him/her play and he and keeps clashing his racquet with other peoples.. and on the floor.. then obviously it would not be a good choice to buy that racquet from him... etc. etc. BUT I STRONGLY DOUBT that the grip would make any difference.....

AND LASTLY.... All you people who read this... if YonexFanatic or Grobfurst.. are interested in your used "YONEX RACQUETS"...... make sure you tell them that there is the original grip on it.. and if there isn't.. go buy an identical one and put it on then tell them it is the original grip... because as you've all heard.. GrobFurst and YonexFanatic will pay a "higher" price for used racquets with original grips....

20. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

okay chillax man...it's just your opinion..

i could care less