Racquet terminology

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by gpuff76, Oct 16, 2008.

1. gpuff76

gpuff76 Regular Member

sw engineer
    hi there,
    can someone tell me what "flex" is and why is it important? If I am a beginning player, do I want more flex or less flex?

also, can someone tell me about "head-light" vs "head-heavy" balance and which is better for a beginner?

thanks!
    -Grant

2. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Hi,

Please conduct a search of flex, head heavy, head light on the search function. You will get your answer

3. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

from my oppinion....a head light is more suitable for beginner...

why??
    begginer don't have strong wrist...don't have strong arm...so they can't really hold a too heavy racket...

did u ever see a beginner holding a 3U or 2U head heavy racket will say "Wow...this racket is heavy and stiff enough..sure will be good for me" or "Wow...this racket is too heavy and this is not a good racket"

or u will see a beginner holding a 4U head light racket and say "Wow...this racket is light and sure will be a good racket for me"

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQAQiQgmU5A

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I am personally still experimenting about that. I agree with that a more flexible racket is good for players who are starting out.

IMHO, a 2U for guys and 3U for girls. 4U is a little too light. A bit of weight will guide the beginner's swing. For the same reason, I think that an even balanced to very slightly head heavy racket will be good. Weight also adds to racket stability.

2nd most importantly, the string tension must be low.

Most importantly, of course, get proper coaching & training. Anyone can probably adapt to most racket but that requires proper skills/technique.

6. Burger_King

Burger_King Regular Member

nothing at the moment
    Head light i find is just for a person who wants a good defense and head heavy is more for a person that wants to smash lots.

7. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

IMO, I think a beginner should use a heavy, flexible racquet. Flexible because a beginner often doesn't have much wrist strenght. The flex can help to generate some power. Heavy racquet (2U even balance or 3u head heavy) to train the wrist. If a beginner use a headlight racquet, he/she may have the speed, but the wrist would have much progress.

8. asder

asder Regular Member

Student
    I used a wilson v14, 4U, flexible, head light. It suited my playing style and helped me return smashes. Smashing is not really useful for me. To answer the question, flexible meant the racquet "bent" around and it was easier for me to hit. When i used stiff shafts in the beginning, i often missed because the racquet wasn't where i wanted it to be. Once you get used to playing, try out different flexibilities and see what suits you.

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    3U even balance moderate flex is best IMO. For beginners, anything under 100G is good. Head heavy will encourage shoulder and arm power, head light will damage your arm if you dont' have good technique.

10. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'd say the most important thing to consider would be string tension. Keep it low to prevent injuries caused by high tensions and poor technique.

I'd recommend a moderate weight that's flexible. Don't spend too much on a racket, you're only a beginner. Stiff, high-end rackets could cause you to damage your shoulder/elbow so don't buy one. http://www.sotxsports.co.uk/Rackets/JED011.htm The SOTX Jed-011 would be a good choice. It is light, cheap and seems suitable for you. It says for professional all-round players in the description but it's fine for a beginner and the fact it's for all-rounders means that you'll find it easy to play with whether you become an attacking or defensive player.

11. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Rackets

Hi gpuff76,
    Personally, I will feel a beginner should use a head light racket for practise n play. Like Proace ABS1000 4U or Carlton Ramussen Airblade lite. These are good rackets for swinging n defending. My son used these racket n he loved it. A beginner needs to build confidence in his/her game initially. If u use a head heavy racket, the likelihood is u may find hard to defend n swing. This will definitely affect yr game n possibly yr morale too. Nobody like to lose his/her game all the times.:rolleyes: U can build yr wrist power gradually using dumbbell n weight roll as u progress. Then slowly u may switch a head heavy racket as u progress.:p
    Lee:D