Smashes and Smash Returns

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by iph03n1xi, Oct 16, 2008.

1. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

Some of my friends told me that when I smash, my left (non-racket) arm crosses my body a lot. I was able to view myself play and I do see that that is the case. Can someone tell me why I do that and how I can correct it? I heard from one person that it was because I'm not pointing with my left arm (which seems to be true)?

Here are some pics to show what I mean (sorry for the bad quality - stills taken from video)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Also, another thing I noticed is that my smash returns to the net are kind of floaty / high. What can I do about that?

Thanks again.

2. dukke88

dukke88 Regular Member

I used to cross my arms too after every shot but then I started to use my left arm and point it to the birdie as a target...try to use your left arm and point it at the birdie the more you do this the crossing arm will go away..for me it did :p

3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I unconsciously do this too. Is this wrong? :confused:

4. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

yes because when you smash you want to throw your body to into it, so you should be doing the complete follow through. Your left arm is basically like a tail, it keeps your balance and sense of direction, so once you cocoon up, the smash is theoretically less effective, and you would be in a position where it's harder to move.

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    stiff left arm

jeez. I have always known that the left arm (if right-handed) is used for balance. However, my arm just unconsciously gets stiff. So I was doing it wrong all along. But this was taken last year, and I have made big improvements now. I just hope I'm not doing it unconsciously nowadays.

Attached Files:

6. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    Don't worry about it.
    It would be far worse if your arm was hanging limb down your left side.

Ideally you would follow through, and your left arm would end up behind you.
    Your right arm low in front of you. Your head low and facing your left foot.
    Like a javelin thrower- the get max power out of their effort.

However, they are not supposed to throw another javelin 2 seconds later.
    You, on the other hand, must be ready and on your way to the net for his short return.
    From a power point of view - it is very effective that you pull in your left arm. This transfers power from your left arm to your torso rotation- which can be transferred to your right arm.
    From a "ready-for-the-next-shot" point of view - it is very effective that you don't drop your left hand, but keep it high and in front of you. This way you keep your head up, and your left arm can used actively in getting you back towards mid-court. If you had followed through, your left arm would be of no help.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

With regard to the arm-cross, I see a great many professionals using it on the deep forehand side (Lin Dan, notably) with seemingly no ill effects. It does impede torso rotation slightly, but also gets the non-racket arm out of the way. As long as the arm points at the shuttle (to open the shoulders in preparation), then the major work is done.

8. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

Hmmm...I see I see...

So it's bad if I don't point at the bird then? And what about my lofty / floaty / high smash returns? What can I do about that?

9. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

best answer, Practice!
    also, get a friend to help you, have them smash softly, and try to return those.
    them have them smash harder and harder until you can do it at their speeds.
    Or, try to clear them as well.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Firstly, try retreating one large pace backwards from your existing defensive position - this will give you extra time. Of course, be prepared to move forward in case of a drop shot.

Second, if you absolutely have to play a high smash return (i.e. a lift), put it into the opposite corner from where the opponent's last smash came. You should never lift to the middle of the rearcourt; always the corners. If you get them right to the baseline, after a couple of cycles your opponent's smashes will weaken, and you'll be able to do something more constructive.

11. iph03n1xi

iph03n1xi Regular Member

Gotcha, Mark A. But what about when I'm trying to just block it barely over the net? It seems that my blocks are always too high and allow the opponent to continue the attack.

And would it be better to lift smashes or to block them to the net?

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If blocks are floating too high, try closing the racket face slightly when you take up your defensive position - you might be unintentionally slicing your blocks. You can do this easily by rotating your grip very slightly (you're right handed, so move your racket handle clockwise with respect to the bottom of your right hand).

13. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Your left arm(non-racket arm) should not go behind you at all during an overhead forehand shot from the rear court. Your left arm and hand should pull into towards you chest to assist body rotation and to keep balance for a faster recovery. The only time your non racquet arm goes behind during a forehand is when you are lunging towards the contact point in most cases. In a net kill for example, or drive or block down the line when there isn't a need to rotate through the shot. Sometimes when retrieving a deep forehand rearcourt also

14. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Just did some shadow smashes while facing my laptop. Yes, I agree with coachgary. I pull my left arm into my chest too. Now that the coach says so, I understand why I do that instinctly.

15. BadMNTN_abner

BadMNTN_abner Regular Member

student
    hey

well, i used to raise my left hand (non racket arm) like i was targetting the bird. is that ok?

16. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    that's fine. in fact, if you don't have your left arm raised, you'll reduce your body's balance and end up hitting crap shots. usually i don't see the need to keep it as stiff as venkatesh. i generally feel your body should be loose and relaxed until the final point of impact (or there abouts) to create an explosive shot.

don't see much wrong with the original post pictures. just make sure your arms aren't like that when you set up. they should be in front of you pointing at the shuttle.

17. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    :( I know I know. It's really stiff. But this was 2 years ago.

After observing how my left arm dangles during a rally, I kinda noticed that it's different now. My palm is now open, and my arm is slightly curved from the elbow towards my body. I don't know how this habit changed. But maybe because I'm more relaxed and comfortable playing now.

Hey! I remember now. The reason why my left arm was stiff then is because I kinda made fun of how those effeminate male players' arms were flashy and so much ... soft. Gay people (no offense) have the tendency to exaggerate their softness. But now I know better. :D

18. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i'd suggest having your hand still up to target the bird, but as you rotate your hips and hit, use your left arm to generate more weight in front of you...that way, you arm won't end up crossing you, or else it becomes hard to transfer weight...the only way would be to pull your arm down with your follow-through...

19. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Its not advisable to follow through like this. This is similar to bowling in cricket and is not for badminton. You will end up off balance, not facing your line of return, and slow in recovery.

20. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    very true. which is also why keeping your arm tucked in isn't a bad thing to do.