Are Coaches/ trainers against the Bevel grip???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Are coaches/trainers against using the bevel grip for the overhead backhand clear?? cauz here in singapore when i ask alot of school team players or other players with coaches what grip they use for the overhead backhand clear, they either show me the thumb grip or the basic grip and not a single one showed me the bevel grip..so is there any disadvantages about using the bevel grip?? or any advantages using the basic grip??:confused: lets jus ignore the thumb grip.:D

#1 Tekkai, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The basic grip is very similar to the bevel grip. Both of these grips are good for backhand clears. You can try them both.

Bear in mind that many players have very confused ideas about grips. It depends mainly on how good the players are; naturally international players tend to know what they're talking about. ;)

Just because a player is better than you, doesn't mean his technique is correct.

3. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

haha thx for the advise gollum. Yes im one of the players who are very confused about grips haha.Sometimes i use the basic grip and i think its better than the bevel grip and then sometimes i use the bevel grip and i think it is better than the basic grip. I ask one national player what grip he used and he showed me the basic grip. So i was thinking is there any advantage of using the basic grip haha. Im currently watching alot of videos of Bao chunlai and Lin dan now..im trying to see wad grip they use for the overhead BHC but the videos are too blur so its difficult haha. All i noe is they dun use the thumb grip haha:D.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

5. huynd

huynd Regular Member

No grip is better than the other, it is dependent of stroke. An inexperienced player when played a double match and stayed at the rear court most of the time may find the pan handle grip surprisingly effective.:)

You should also remember people mean differently when talking about grip. When asked about what grip I use, I would probably show the classical forehand grip with three fingers: middle, ring and index fingers hold quite tight to the grip. This is the grip I use when waiting for the shuttle (There is a thread about this type of grip too, which you can easily find). But this is by no mean the grip that I actually use when hitting the shuttle. Here in badminton central, the terms basic grip, bevel grip, etc refer to the grip that one uses just prior to hitting the shuttle.

6. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

so is the technique the same in executing a overhead backhand clear if u use the bevel grip and the basic grip?

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Essentially yes.

With the bevel grip, you may be able to get more leverage, and hence more use of arm rotation. I think this works better when you are using a full backswing.

With the basic grip, you have a less rigid hand/wrist, and hence may be able to get more power from a shorter action (as when intercepting a flat lift, when you haven't time for a full backswing).

In any case, the differences are subtle. Nothing you really need to worry about.

I'd just like to clarify that: I illustrate these grips as you would use them during the start of your swing, before you have tightened your grip. As the arm accelerates, the grip starts to tighten and will look different from the ones shown in my guide.

#7 Gollum, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  8. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Yes i agree with u about the leverage and arm rotation:) I feel comfortable using the bevel grip.Thats y i always use it for my backhand haha!:D

9. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

it depend on ur own feel....my fren can use a basic grip to make a back hand clear...after this i teach him to use bevel grip....maybe he stil not familiar with this grip so he keep miss the ball and the clearing is not as good as his basic grip...for me...i have try both grip and bevel is more comfort for me...

10. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

yea im now used to the bevel grip, its veri comfortable to use, lyk i dun feel anything blocking my wrist and the wrist rotation is there. Anyway how popular is the bevel grip? If im nt wrong, BCL and lin dan uses the bevel grip too for their overhead backhand clear. I saw it from the video of DCL vs Lin dan during denmark open MSF 2007. during the first game when the score is lin dan 15 BCL 10 then u can see BCL doing a BHC using the bevel grip. As for lin dan i cun rmb wad the score was when he used it haha!:)

11. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

if u can train by using both grip to do clearing...then it will be more perfect for ur game =D

12. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

eh why is almost all the coaches i noe teaching the thumb grip for the overhead backhand clear?!?!? i tell them y nt use the bevel grip and they say thumb grip is better..so i tell them tat u cun use the thumb grip when the shuttle is pass u and they tell me oh if thats the case then u are slow..-.-..

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Ignorance makes for amazing stubbornness ;)

14. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I use the same grip as if i was to hit a forehand clear.... i used to usde back-hand grip before my coach corrected it

15. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

so now wad grip did ur coach call u to use now??

16. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

so wad grip his taufik using for the overhead backhand clear???Basic or bevel??[​IMG]

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Definitely the bevel grip, in that photograph. You can see by the way the thumb is pointing so sharply up the handle.

18. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

haha LOLZ! sometimes i see it looks lyk the bevel grip sometimes it looks lyk its the basic grip haha..lets hope my eyes r playing tricks on me..btw gollum y is alot of coach teaching the thumb grip? I asked this coach from indonesia yst and he told me to use the thumb grip.I showed him the bevel grip n he doesn't noe wad it is..-.-

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Coaches are not all the same. In many cases, a coach teaches "the backhand grip" (thumb grip) for all backhand shots; I've described this problem at length in the grips guide: what happened to the old grips?

I have been shocked by some of the basic technical coaching errors that some of my colleagues make at coaches' conferences/education sessions. And these are the coaches who make the effort to attend; at least they get corrected! There are plenty who don't attend.

In the real world, "experts" get things wrong all the time. I find there are only two solutions:

• Check multiple sources, and attempt to evaluate each source's credibility; and
    • Educate yourself.

Let me give you another example:

One of my main interests is caving; I go on expeditions to explore deep, dangerous caves where no-one has ever been before. We use ropes to negotiate Big Scary Drops of Doom (TM).

I literally hang my life from a rope countless times. Before I get on the rope, I look at the rigging. When I'm going down the rope, I keep my eyes open for rub points.

If I see any sign that the rigging is unsafe, I won't go down it. It doesn't matter who says "it's okay"; I make my own judgement.

In the course of developing competency, I lean heavily on the expertise of others. I listen to other cavers, I ask their advice, and I read caving books and websites. But ultimately my safety is my own responsibility. I take my own decisions.

The same thing, albeit less morbidly, applies to badminton. It's great to listen to other people, but ultimately you have to decide what you believe. You will inevitably find both coaches and players who disagree with you; sometimes they have good reasons, sometimes they don't. The best you can do is maintain an open and enquiring mind, and experiment. :)

You will never get everyone to agree on anything. People have different opinions, and I'm afraid I can't explain why a particular coach (whom I've never met) teaches the thumb grip for backhand clears. I can't control what he thinks. ;)

#19 Gollum, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  20. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

hey thx for tat gollum!:) Its meaningful..yea i make my own decisions too haha...i have been testing out the grips for quite a long time and to me i feel that the bevel grip suits me best! haha!:p