getting flick served for being short

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Shadowdrgn20, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

I'm not very tall (5'3") and won't be growing anymore. I've always been frustrated that people flick serve me simply because I'm short. I've recently adapted to receiving serves with my feet pretty much at the service line. I'm strong enough to back up and smash whenever someone flick serves. The only case I can't is if I was off focus, or they do a really good flick serve.

After playing several months like this. I noticed that people flick serve me almost 100% of the time now. It's not even funny. At first I didn't mind jumping back every time, but now it's really getting annoying. It's not like I have a bad smash either. Often I finish the point off with a smash when receiving a flick serve. Still, they continue to flick serve me after. I don't understand why.

One case where I found it really odd is a doubles pair I played. They would constantly yell at each other to stop flick serving me, because I smashed every time and finished the point. Yet they both continued to flick serve me. At this point, I feel very offended that people always flick serve me. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be flick serving me if I was around 5'11". Any thoughts?

2. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    It's probably all in your mind, but perhaps it's also in their minds where they believe that your return of a flick serve won't be as strong as a low one. If you can drive or smash it back quickly everytime, I don't think they would continue doing a flick serve on every serve since that would be too predictable unless they actually felt a weaker return. Height probably has less to do with it than you think! I personally prefer a flick or a high serve as opposed to a low serve when I'm receiving.

#2 Optiblue, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    you answered your own query in my opinion, as in bold above. because you are so close to the front you are in a very offensive position and rather than allow you to attack the short serve they just flick you. to give them time to get into a defensive position (they dont no you have a killer smash).

i have gathered this knowledge from just paying attention as i play. the closer i get to the line the more they flick. because the close i am the higher the chance il attack the net

also about the height factor i disagree aswell, im 6'1'' and its a pain in the arse when i get flick admittedly if its a rubbish flick il get it mid court and win it but if its good its not an easy shot cus by the time iv reached it its drops just that bit too much.

i do it to a person at my club he stand with his foot sideways on the front line and if i do a short serve he attacks so i just flick every time cus he wont do an amazing return. he hasnt learnt that if he moves back a little bit il short serve but theres no point me doing a short serve if i have a 50% chance il lose on the return, whereas on the flick i have a 90% chance he will do a bad shot back which can be attacked.

Gav

#3 noppy, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    ok, my point of view.
    is a strategy. makes you more tired.
    some to consider;
    1. half step back
    2. not necessary to jump smash; you can drop, you can clear
    3. off focus, take a step back. play safe for few rally?

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Its quite intimidating some1 rite at the line ready to attack, means there service needs to be good so maybe they find it easier and less pressure to flick serve and then deal with the smash.

If anything I would be happy cause u can get back and attack it so wots the big deal, u have a big smash and can get back to smash any flick serve and u know that people will most of the time flick serve, suds like you have the advantage ere as you know wot they will do and can you attack their shot.

A good low serve is hard to attack but a flick serve can be attacked easily if your fast enough which you seem to be so suds gud to me :D

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's not your height that makes them flick you. Don't be daft. :p

They flick you because you are standing right at the front, intimidating them against playing a low serve. You need nerves of steel to play a low serve to an aggressive receiver who toes the service line.

Ask yourself what serve you would play, if you were facing an opponent like yourself?

7. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    I can't agree more with Gollum :) However, I must admit that 100% flick serve is not something I see everyday. Usually I only only use flick serve to warn my opponent because they over-anticipated a low serve and scared me a lot :p

8. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    :p I would flick serve you all day just because you are not 5'11" and I have a very decent flick serve.:p:D:D:D

Seriously, most club players or amature players don't have enough confidence in their low serves(due to lack of practice or simply lack of determination to improve), so to take the "easy" way out, they choose to flick serve you.

Badminton is a game of both physical and mental, and if you play with mentally weaker players, they will likely to take the easy way out instead of challenging themselves to the next level.

9. derekcai

derekcai Regular Member

I agree, some people lack the confidence in their low serve, especially if you are very fast in attacking the low serve. I'm 5'11 and would like to think i have a hard smash. Still, there are a few players i know that constantly flick serve me. If you are consistenly ending the point with smashes to their flick serve i do not understand why you feel insulted. I would be so happy if i keep getting flick served.

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I read it three times....and to me it roughly translates to

congratulations, you're both smarter and faster than your opponent:p:D

11. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Well, Shadowdrgn20 only said that: "...I finish off the point with a smash...", he never said he won that point.:p

12. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Don't understand why it would trouble you since you decided to receive the serve at the service line. Your settle message was you are taking away the short serve and you are inviting the flick serve. So, they did. What is the surprise here?

I imagine you are not playing against the pros, so they can't make prefect short serves. It is intimidating, my friend. If you can smash the flick serves, good for you. Keep on smashing and keep winning.

I don't think there is anything to do with your height :)

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Lol! it's their loss for keep flick service you and you can get it and getting the point.

Maybe against you should just stand in the middle and still see if they flick you ahahah!

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This seems to be a contradiction. No player who wins a point, especially after having "conned" an opponent into a suicidal flick serve, should feel fustrated. Frustration at such repeated flick serves is almost always felt by the receiver who is unable to return the flick serve. You should actually be elated because your tactics-standing at the front service line to receive a serve-is rewarding you with winning points that you have engineered.
    This is as I say a perplexing contradiction.
    Of course you can always choose to stand further back when receiving serve. This will end your frustration with no more flick serves to deal with. But how will you feel without winning outright points with this change?

15. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

I always serve right to the back corner when the guy stands too close to the net...

If you feel confident to catch every flick serve, what is the problem?

16. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    yeah basically since you said you always stand at the front then they will always almost flick, ive played with a wide height range of players from 5 feet to over 6feet and im not foing to lie the lil guys there fast off the serve to the front if you dont have a good one you could regret it. the taller guys well there hands fully extended cover a huge distance and same thing there.

now when i flick its when my opponent comes forward a lil to much more than they usually do and its to let them know hey i can still flick you. but if your always standing the the service line and not backing up then why would they want to serve short? so yeah like taneepak said you coudl back off a little and that might allow them to serve the normal short serve and well at the higher level agains professional players you will relize even if your right up against the line they will still serve a short serve majority of the time and flick once in a while to remind you that you still have to be ready.

17. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    If you keep winning the point, I wouldn't worry. If you kept loosing points, then you'd have problems, but you don't. You have the return of your opponents' flick serve sorted and they're idiots if they keep trying it only to get the same result as last time.

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    that's just part of the game, if it pisses you off, it's probably working. maybe take just one step back if it annoys you that they flick it all the time. better yet, be quick and smash them down one by one.

19. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Getting flicked has nothing to do with your height. Don't just set your up front, set your mind at the back too.

20. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    maybe they're just not thinking properly. i've had people continue to try and drive serve me and get hit in the face repeatedly. some people just don't get it, no matter what.

as for the old pair saying something thing contradicting themselves.....well, physiological warfare worked before. it'll sure as hell work for many more times.