User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 18 to 34 of 34
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ph_leung View Post
    Straightening like this is quite important for consistent tension. I've watched and listened to the motor as an ECP adjusts to lost tension as I straighten the crosses.

    One idea for easily straightening the crosses is to use a flexible plastic comb...
    Ok, flexible plastic comb doesn't work. It's quite pathetic actually.

    Anyone coming to string-fest is free to take a couple of packs of Oliver XP-63 0.63mm string from me to try. It's thin like BG66. It's easy to weave and thread.

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada, BC, Burnaby
    Posts
    763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I call dibbs!!!

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, since this post is about newbie to stringing, I might just post my question here.

    Do crosses always have to be at a lower tension than that of mains?

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by epermana View Post
    Well, since this post is about newbie to stringing, I might just post my question here.

    Do crosses always have to be at a lower tension than that of mains?
    you mean higher tension? Crosses is usually higher than main to keep the shape of the racquet face.

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwu42 View Post
    you mean higher tension? Crosses is usually higher than main to keep the shape of the racquet face.
    So if I want to string my racquect at 25lbs, I should string the main at 25 while the cross at 26 ?

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    10% higher than main or 27.5 lbs

    Quote Originally Posted by humsuplou View Post
    So if I want to string my racquect at 25lbs, I should string the main at 25 while the cross at 26 ?

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have pre-strung my racket but I am wonndering where should the starting knot be. 1 is at the bottom of the frame B8 but it sit on both a main and cross. Will this "clamp" the untensioned strings against the grommet? The other one at A5, sharing the grommet with another main.

    Also, how will stringing the cross at higher tension affect the stability since mains and crosses belong to one single string? i.e. tension is same throughout.
    Last edited by epermana; 12-21-2008 at 06:14 PM.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Anyway I gave my first go at stringing and it turned out alright apart from the fact that now the racket looks a little rounder. I guess the cross was not strung at high enough tension. Is this ok? Or should I restring it again?

    Also, I noticed that the strings adjacent to the knots were slightly loose despite the fact that I clamped the string before tying the knot. Again, is this normal?

    Does anyone have experience in calibrating Pro's Pro Shuttle Express? Is there anyway I can shift the scale or do I have to remember the calibration each time I string?

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe you didn't apply enough pressure when you tighten the shoulder supports.

    10% higher than the main tension is sufficient to bring the frame back to shape. What was your cross reference tension?

    There is one screw that you can adjust. By adjusting this screw, you can change when the tensioner's latch is released and thereby the resulting tension at lock out. Here is a different lock-out machine's user manual. Please read page 12. It does give you an idea of what to do:

    http://206.210.94.83/assets/manuals/pdf/MG63-5.pdf

    You can also adjust the distance between the tensioner spring and the tensioner increment screw. The sooner the tensioner increment screw engages the tensioner spring, the higher is the resulting lockout tension.

    Quote Originally Posted by epermana View Post
    Anyway I gave my first go at stringing and it turned out alright apart from the fact that now the racket looks a little rounder. I guess the cross was not strung at high enough tension. Is this ok? Or should I restring it again?

    Also, I noticed that the strings adjacent to the knots were slightly loose despite the fact that I clamped the string before tying the knot. Again, is this normal?

    Does anyone have experience in calibrating Pro's Pro Shuttle Express? Is there anyway I can shift the scale or do I have to remember the calibration each time I string?

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So, do you reckon I need to restring the racket? I just fear that it will damage the racket.

    Seeing how knots are impossible to be tied while tensioned, can I assume that tension loss at these knots are inevitable? Or are there ways to minimize the loss?

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You don't have to cut the string and restring. If you racket is damaged, it is cracked already. How many mm is the frame shortened?

    Just add +10% more reference tension on the tie off string and you should be fine. Tie a single half-hitch knot and wrap the remaining string around a sticky wand or something and lightly pull away from the frame and back to the frame sideway, three times. Finish the knot with a pro knot.

    Quote Originally Posted by epermana View Post
    So, do you reckon I need to restring the racket? I just fear that it will damage the racket.

    Seeing how knots are impossible to be tied while tensioned, can I assume that tension loss at these knots are inevitable? Or are there ways to minimize the loss?

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been playing badminton for awhile and I have strung a couple racquets. Right now I am deciding on whether to buy a stringing machine or not. Could you guys tell me what get you when you pay more money for the machine? I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I don't want a drop weight machine either.

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,652
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xivanx View Post
    I've been playing badminton for awhile and I have strung a couple racquets. Right now I am deciding on whether to buy a stringing machine or not. Could you guys tell me what get you when you pay more money for the machine? I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I don't want a drop weight machine either.
    read through the stringing tech forum, you will find good posts from other stringer about the good and bad brand/machine. good luck.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for all the advice Pete

    Comparing it (AT900T) with my AT700, the top outer frame of the AT900T is at the top inner frame of AT700. i.e. amount shortened equivalent to the thickness of frame.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    You don't have to cut the string and restring. If you racket is damaged, it is cracked already. How many mm is the frame shortened?

    Just add +10% more reference tension on the tie off string and you should be fine. Tie a single half-hitch knot and wrap the remaining string around a sticky wand or something and lightly pull away from the frame and back to the frame sideway, three times. Finish the knot with a pro knot.

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Can you provide any links? Dunno where to start. thx.

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    That's quite a bit. The rule of thumb is preferrably the same length as an unstrung frame or 1 mm longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by epermana View Post
    Thanks for all the advice Pete

    Comparing it (AT900T) with my AT700, the top outer frame of the AT900T is at the top inner frame of AT700. i.e. amount shortened equivalent to the thickness of frame.

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On 2-piece stringing, is there any other pattern other than centre-side for the mains and top-bottom/bottom-top for the crosses? YULite mentioned 50-50 pattern in his Youtube video but it does not seem be a great pattern.

    I have read some posts that top-bottom is actually better than bottom-top. On the other hand, there was also a post by stringtechno saying that bottom-top is better. I am confused whether to follow Yonex pattern (bottom-top).

    For 1-piece, do different patterns result in different feel? Or does it only concern better stress distribution and stringing ease? Some examples are the ATW and Box patterns as mentioned by YULite in his Youtube videos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie to stringing, help needed.
    By huangxl in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 16
    : 03-15-2010, 12:27 PM
  2. Newbie
    By khaoswing in forum Introduction
    Replies: 6
    : 11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
  3. stringing for a newbie.
    By angel tech in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 23
    : 11-18-2008, 01:50 PM
  4. Complete Newbie To Stringing
    By david07 in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 29
    : 07-20-2008, 02:11 AM
  5. Stringing machine for a Newbie
    By renesia in forum Market Place
    Replies: 0
    : 03-05-2006, 10:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •