Nerves during the competitions...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chris_mc, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Chris_mc

Chris_mc Regular Member

The nerves always get to me in competitions, and i cant play as well as i do in my training, its like my hand has turned to stone, it cant move at all, is there anyway i could get my nerves outta the way during a match, cause this happend to me many times before, and i still cant stop!!!

Any suggestions?

2. BadMNTN_abner

BadMNTN_abner Regular Member

student
    dont forget to breathe.. relax as you breathe. feel the air travel to your whole body. and lastly,think of your opponent as a fly. you just have to swat dem'

i love badminton because i love badminton!

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    play more competitions. simple as that. you need to get used to the feel of what it's like out there.

a way to help is listen to music. depending on your personality, you might want rock and metal music to get you really fired up. or soft slow music to cool the nerves. sometimes, you just need to play through the nerves. everyone gets them. you just have to handle it as best as you can. play the shots that you know will work, clears, drops, lifts. start from there.

4. zdndz

zdndz Regular Member

in school
    Think about the match you are going to play some days before you compete. And the same day you will compete and you are nervous take 10 min. and think about anything other then badminton (example: good memories). It will help you to relax.

And when you are competing try to have just fun and enjoy the game, don't think about what will happend if I lose/win the match just enjoy.

And like Shifty said, "play more competitons.

Good luck
    zdndz

#4 zdndz, Oct 24, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Couldn't agree more. The first few times I have joined a competition, I was a nervous wreck. My errors were never ending. But as I continued to join, my nerves during competitions lessened. Although it's still there, I could pretty much focus more on my play. :cool:

And this coming Sunday, I have a men's doubles tournament. I hope I hope I hope I hope I WIN!!!!

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Nerves r good, gets the adrenaline pumping, the prob is is when u let them take control of ur energy & u make mistakes.

Before the start of the match when u r just bout to start, take a few big deep breathes & try to relax a bit. U want to b in control, not the adrenaline but it can help you.

If you are serving, reali take ur time on the serve, deep breathe before u start al the arm movements. Then just think to urself, jus above the tape, look only at the tape, not ur opponent & then jus do it.

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    easiest thing to do is to think to much because its a competition. If you r making mistakes, focus on the birdie & hitting it well on the strings & in the direction u want. Let ur unconscious think about the tactics, jus remember in general the best form of defense is attack!

8. migzz10

migzz10 Regular Member

High School Student
    "when you train hard, know when your well prepared, and you believe that you can do it"

9. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

theres a trick that u can do if u dont have much time to relax... try to do deep breath for 15 secs and use your opposite common hand to write your full name using badminton racket just to take away your focus. and instead of trying hard to win, just try to take each shot as well as u can.