Lunch with Taufik Hidayat

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Tezta.com, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    Hello everyone, just wanted to post a little info on a recent meeting i had with Taufik Hidayat at the Thomas/Uber cups in guangzhou. Well I ran into him in the hallways of the hotel and i talked with him a bit, communicating in english. Luckily my father who was with me and talked to Taufik in his native tounge. Well we all went to the cafe and had what turned out to be a 4 hour lunch, just chatting and getting to know each other better. He told us about the troubles in Indonesia, about himself, about the reports that he beat up a spectator, and i told him about badminton in America. He is quite a soft spoken person, very polite and proper, i was surprised to see him dress so stylish for a badminton player. Usually badminton players lounging around the hotel, wear their Yonex outfits, sandals. He infact wore suede shoes, blue jeans and a nice jacket to lunch.

What he told me about his badminton career was not something i hadnt heard before, but a few things he brought up were new to me. First of which, i ask why do you change the bird so many times during the match? He said that after 3 or 4 hits with the racket, the bird's feathers become frayed and do not grab the wind well, therefore making the bird faster than it was out of the tube, they keep this in mind when they play, trying to keep the shuttle in. You would think that if the bird gets too fast, they change it right? well thats not the half of it, infact during a game, a player has so many things going through his/her mind that they forget about the bird itself, and when they forget weather the bird is fast or slow, they change it. It doesnt have to deal directly with the speed or performance of the shuttle when they change.

Another thing i asked him was, what does your coach tell you during the breaks? He answered that, its nothing complicated, "i can even remember it now, tomorrow, whenever". During the semifinal game against Anders Bosen, Joko Suprianto told taufik that he wasnt attacking the net as much as he should be, i saw the game live and i realized it too, the next break Joko told him to push the shuttle past anders' head so that anders has difficulty attacking. Simple huh? I myself thought that it would be complicated, but i learned that during a game, a player cannot comprehend 100+ words, and only benefits from 1 important strategy point each break.

The President of PBSI was an Army General, Taufik did not like they way PBSI was being ran by this individual, and Taufik asked him personally to step down as president and let a more qualified person take over. Well i read about this in the newspaper, but i didn't read that Taufik had to go everywhere with body guard in fear something might happen to him. I jokingly told him that indonesian badminton is almost as corrupt as US badminton.

Well thats it, i mean its not everything, but the other things we talked about are abit more personal, and confidential. I have to say Taufik is a great person, and he is definately a gift to the world of badminton.

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Wow, what an experience. Thats one in a lifetime thing...truely an amazing person and something, i'm sure that will live with you.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thanks for sharing your Taufik H. moments with us all. It's nice to see the human side of a player beside a moving fuzzy image on TV from worn out tapes.

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Just goes to show they are good people off court as well as on court!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wow. thanks for the post, Tezta. nothing is better than first hand information right from the source.

Taufik sounds like a friendly and approachable guy. it is also quite interesting to see that he spills out his feelings to friends he meet.

6. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Yes..thanks for the experience..

That's a very good narration of events Tezta..almost made me feel like I was there during lunch..granted I would be listening while stuffing my face with food..but still, wow..did you ask him for any tips or his favourite shot?

The closest experience I had was talking to Nick Hall, the former NZ no.1..he was reasonably good in his heydays and he told me a lot about the tournaments he played in, the players..but I'm sure it's not as interesting as meeting Taufik :)

aDeLiNa

7. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Thanks for sharing that with us. Maybe there can be more "interviews" in the future.:)

8. Eva

Eva Regular Member

hmm... jealous

Bit jealous here.. I was in Guangzhou too at the Tomas& Ubercup, and did ran in to him at the hallways of the
    hotel and training a couple of times but I didn't have the guts to talk to him..:( I felt really stupid when I went home actually...
    because we did have some contact with the Indonesian team... but I think it would have been SO nice to talk
    to him.. Well I hope I have more courage next time I meet him..But I think I have to wait a long time.. maybe
    at the Surdiman-cup...

9. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    I talked to one badminton player from Indo also before and he told me that actually life in badminton is actually something like school life.. the difference is just that we study while they train for badminton...

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Presently

Just read in StarOnline that Taufik's contract with S'pore was cancelled because of Taufik playing for Indonesia in TC.

Wasn't he allowed to represent Indonesia in certain events in return for going to S'pore?
    Anybody got any gossip or did I miss out somewhere?

11. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Re: Presently

Nope... he was not allowed to play in some events before he came to Singapore.. He was having some arguments with PBSI at that time... but now I guess he really wants to concentrate and play for Indonesia