strength training, how?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by holst, Jan 25, 2001.

1. holst

holst Guest

How do i do strength training for badminton? What muscles should i pay attention to?

2. Don

Don Regular Member

Strength training involves working with weights that aren't too heavy for you nor are too light. the number of repetitions and sets is key here. You must be able to do up and around 5 sets of 30 reps of any given variation with some trouble at around the 20th rep.

If you don't have access to weights then you could do the following.
    -Try doing footwork for about 5 minutes at first, then increase the amount of time and intensity in 5 minute increments until you reach a point where the time doesn't play as much a factor as intensity does. This helps with endurance and increases leg strength.
    -You could practice clearing/driving for 10 minutes to increase upper body strength and endurance.

If you want to work with weights, all you need is a decent set of dumb bells or if you have access to a gym then that's better.
    -Try legs extensions/hamstring curls/calf presses/squats to increase leg endurance and strength. You may run up stairs too. Try running up a tall building, this works the legs nicely and helps with cardio. Beware, running up stairs maybe very stressful to joints.
    -You could to shoulder presses/lateral flies/horizontal extensions to build the shoulders.
    -Bench pressing to build the pectoral and shoulders.
    -Tricep extensions.
    -Bicep curls.
    -Reverse flies.
    etc..

There are so many variable excerises to list. My advice would be to focus on a particular muscle group in which you would like to work and focus really intensely on it once a week and casually for the rest of the time.

All it takes is a single hour every day of an intense work out and you get results real quick.

3. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    I agree with Don, and would like to add:
    Consider using weight machines instead of barbells. There's less chance of getting hurt and you don't need a spotter.

Work on the triceps machine also (lift weight from behind head to over head). I found that stronger triceps improved the power generated on my overhead backswing, using the spring effect.

4. Don

Don Regular Member

free weights are for advanced training... machines are for beginners. I do believe that free weights improve control more than machines. You only use spotters for very heavy weights. I don't think you'll need a spotter for strength training as it doesn't envolve very heavy weights.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what about stretching?

what muscle do you stretch before a game?

6. Don

Don Regular Member

RE: what about stretching?

I do a comphrensive stretch from head to toe. Not one muscle goes unstretched. It's actually a ritual of mine started by football. I have avoided injuries this way. I do approximately at least 10 different stretches. If you want to know them, I'll list them.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Please do!

8. Don

Don Regular Member

-10 neck rotation clockwise and another 10 counter clockwise.
    -10 forward arm rotations and 10 backward rotations.
    -cross chest arm stretch
    -cross neck arm stretch
    -10 hip roations (clockwise and counter clockwise)
    -cross leg back stretch
    -pelvic to ground chest stretch
    -groin stretch
    -verticle quadrcep pull
    -front lunge stretch
    -hurtle stretch
    -overlap calf stretch in pushup position
    -10 ankle rotations (clockwise and counter clockwise) for each foot.

Those are the regular stretches that I do, but there are many more I do for injury troubling areas.