wasted string

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ormy4, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

I have a eagnas drop machine and have strung about 10 rackets so far. I use 2 knots and have a reel of mp which I pull from. I use about 42 ft each time since I leave 2 loops around the handle to give me enough slack to pull. It drives me crazy running out of string and not being able to string the whole racket. Trying to string the last 2 rows later when the mains are already pulled is so slow and frustrating when you run short. Look at the string wasted later and wonder am I doing something wrong. Is this normal or am I missing the boat.

Seperate question how long is string good for seem to be restringing one racket a week lately.

thanks in advance.

2. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    When I had my Klippermate machine, I never used more than a regular packet's worth (10 meters or 33 feet). I used probably 17 or 18 feet for the mains and 15 or 16 feet for the crosses. However, I also never used pre-stringing with the dropweight machines either, so that might be your problem as I know that the gripper is far from the head of the racket (you didn't mention if you pre-string or not).

As for the shelf life of string, I think that as long as you keep the reel in a sealed plastic bag, it should keep for at the very least a year.

3. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    woah, 42 feet is too much waste! That's 14 meters! A normal pack of string is only 10 meters. Use around 3.5 full arm lengths for the mains, and use the remaining for the crosses of a 10 meter pack.

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yes definately too much waste as this is a stringer error. 10 meters is more than enough to properly string a badminton racket.

5. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

If you prestring, you won't be able to finish the whole racket due to the 2 loops. I normally only able to prestring all the mains and about 2/3 of the crosses with 10m string. But you don't need the extra string as one of the loop should be enough for you to finish off the rest of the crosses, unless you are trying to avoid doing the difficult shared holes.

Question is what are you trying to achieve?

1) If you want to use minimum string(or just 10m pack) then you are not able to prestring the whole racket, not with your current machine. There are a few suggestions on how to do the shared holes on last few threads. Read thru them and see if they help. Couple of links below
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61494
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56262

2) If you want to avoid doing the difficult shared holes by prestringing the whole racket, then you need the extra string. On my drop weight machine, I need about 1.5m more.

3) If you are trying to achieve both, I think you need to get a new machine or continue with what you are doing. For myself, I do a compromise. Instead of prestring the crosses from bottom to top, I do top to bottom with whatever the remaining string after the mains. I am still left with about 7 holes on the bottom to weave during pulling(they are a lot easier than the top ones). Keep in mind that With my method, I turned 2 knots into 4 knots as I need to cut and tie off when I finished pulling the main (Do not cut when prestringing). Also, I need to do a starting knot on the top.

#5 BadFever, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    42 is way too much. I don't think you need to pre-string the entire racket, as the "extra" loop will be used when you tension it. Maybe you are doing the "around the world" pattern, which waste a lot of extra string, and much better chance for greater tension lost? :rolleyes:

7. ormy4

ormy4 Regular Member

Yes, want to pre-string the whole racket as doing shared holes and weaving on the machine I find annoying. Would love another machine but can't justify it so I guess for me buying a reel and dealing with waste is a reality.
    thks