Yonex Armortec 150 vs 700?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by GaijinXSmash, Oct 27, 2008.

1. GaijinXSmash

GaijinXSmash Regular Member

I was thinking of buying a new racket, but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm currently playing with a Kason Carvel U-3 and I'm feeling like I'm not getting as much power as I could anymore with my smashes. My friend said to get an Armortec. Which one should I invest in? The 150 or 700?

Is there any other racket worth considering as well? I tend to do more smash during single play if that helps.

2. Xirion

Xirion Regular Member

DJ
    if you have a lot of power, then armortec 700 is a perfect choice...
    stung it with bg65ti or bg80 will do it.

3. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

can i ask why 150 compared to 700?

one is the entry level armortec, the other is a premium armortec? It's like asking should i get an A class mercedes or an SLK (heaps of power but brutal if missued).

what about the 250, 300, 500 and even the 900's?

4. GaijinXSmash

GaijinXSmash Regular Member

Thanks Xirion for that.

gumpy_999, I'm not familiar with rackets as much as I should since I was just a casual player before. That's why I asked. I'll probably get a lower end one and wait for that 700 if my smash gets better.

5. Xirion

Xirion Regular Member

DJ
    some people prefer using armortec 800 of or armortec 500...
    I personally use armortec 250 for the 1st time. It had a lot of power even it's the low-end of armortec series. now i' using armortec 700 and need to practice a lot since the feeling is already different between that 2 racquet.

but i'm not recommended armortec series for control, since it using head-heavy system, it make us difficult to manuver and control the racket.
    if u wanna play on all around then arcsaber 10 will do it.

6. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

If you can get a AT300, it's a good one to start on as it's medium flex, good for smashes and not too expensive.

i'd give the 150 a miss, and the 250's stiff so might want to avoid if you're unsure about exactly what you want.

good luck

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

This is just like.. the latest Camry vs 93' Starlet :D

8. Backlash

Backlash Regular Member

If you were told to get an armortec, which i highly reccomend then as you say that you are a smash based player you should go for armortec 900 power with nanogy 95 strings at 24lb. This can obviously be adjusted to whatever suits you :D

:D:D:D

9. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    get a racket with a "medium" level on stiffness and flexibility. yonex rackets generally have have 5 levels: stiff, medium stiff, medium, medium flex and extra flex. with the exception of the MP99 which is "extra stiff".

an "even balance" racket is recommended since it's very good for attack and defensive purposes.

10. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    The Kason Carvel U-3 is a 5U racquet, so power will be lacking compare to a heavier racquet. You may not be getting as much power as before due to the fact that as you get better, your swing is faster and the racquet flex too much for it to deliver the power.

The AT700 is definitely very good for smashing however in my opinion, you need to be a pretty good offensive player in order to use it well. It is by far one of the most head heavy racquet and also pretty stiff too and both of these attributes combined means tough time for those not up to the level.

If it is available in your region, consider Victor Superwave series, the SW31, SW32 and SW33P are excellent racquet and I find that it is quite easy to generate power from them.

#10 teoky, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  11. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

in the toyota world i'd say a comparison between the lexus IS-F to the starlet...

12. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The IS-F compared to the starlet would more be like.. a 1st gen AT700 JP compared to a Iso 75VF.

Anyway, there's too much of a transition between the 5U Cason to an AT700. A 4U MP88 may be a good choice. It is relatively powerful too.

13. Nublet

Nublet Regular Member

Highschool student :D
    The AT-900 T has a bit of power and control, but it's a lot more expensive :p

14. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

note: the AT900T only has power if you have strong forearms...

My GF used the AT900T for awhile and generated half the power than her MP22LT.

15. bad_case

bad_case Regular Member

Pilot
    AT 250 maybe?

If this helps: I've been using an AT 250 for awhile now, MP 21 as backup. The difference is notable. I switch back to the MP when I get tired after a couple hours of play because it's more even and more forgiving and better defensive mid-court to net. But...

The AT for a pretty low cost but effective racquet is still much more satisfying. I have good power but play more technical - even though the AT is slightly head heavy and a little stiffer, it isn't too difficult to get the most from it. Control is good. Mine is strung with BG 65 @ 23lbs, but I have BG 80 coming and think I'll string at 21-22lbs.

Based on my AT experience I think my next will also be an AT once I advance again, hopefully in a few months...!;) Hope this helps...

Case

16. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    It's pretty hard to have a brutal mercedes, i have one a CLk430 AMG and god damn that thing is almost impossible to let it be tail happy. The traction control system on that thing is WHACK!

Lol...why does everyone always point to the new racquets for the BEST everything. As my mom would say, "if you are going to get something, get the best, or don't get it at all" In this case grab the higher end armortecs, the 150s and 250s are crap. Trust me on this. Anyone who has played with me would know how big of an Armortec fan i am, hmm at500, at700, at700le, at900p pretty much played with them all. 500,700,700le,900p are all good ones to choose.