Racquet for an ex-tennis player

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by bbulla, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bbulla

bbulla Regular Member

Hi,

I just started playing badminton after playing tennis/squash for many years. What sort of racquet would anyone recommend? I am currently using an old Rucanor all graphite racquet. I am mostly playing doubles, but would like to use the same racquet for singles. Smashing is probably my weak point, and my volleys (if that is what they are called in badminton....short shots over the net) are my best.

Thanks!

2. kimir

kimir Regular Member

hi bbulla, did u go through any badminton training course? from my personal experience, i had to 'brainwash' myself and refrain from using tennis strokes when i play badminton.

3. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Get the heaviest racket you can wield since you are an extennis player. Woven 7, woven 11, ti10, mp99, mp100, amp88, 90, 95 just to name a few. Later on you can go down in weight, but its a little harder to go up sometimes.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in this forum, we have a term for that kind of shot, we call it 'dinking':) We even have an inhouse dinker expert;)

since u likely got a strong arm, i suggest something head or slight head heavy.

#4 cooler, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  5. bbulla

bbulla Regular Member

Thanks for the advice. I thought that a heavier, slightly head-heavy racquet would help my smash, just as it would in tennis. I guess all the principles are basically the same.

I haven't heard of Woven before, and I think the shop I deal with will only have the more 'popular' names (ie. Yonex, Wilson, Head, Prince), but I will see what I can find.

Is there a good on-line store anyone can recommend??

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    We have quite a few members here who play both tennis and badminton.
    They should be able to give you a good idea of what's best suited :)

7. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Racket for ex-tennis player

Hi bbulla,
    What I know of is tennis players tend to have very powerful swing, and they are very good in arm swing,thus alots of powerful smashes. In yr case, I was surprised to hear that u are not so powerful in yr smashes?:eek: Woven 7 is a very good racket for u, but if u are able to borrow from yr fren n try it, will be ideal.:p However, tennis palyers tend to lock their wrists in their games but for badminton, u need to be flexible in yr wrist n uses yr fingers power as well as yr arm power to play this game.;)
    Anyway, welcome to BCforum.
    Lee:D

8. Ramster

Ramster Regular Member

Student
    The smashing motion is pretty similar to a flat serve in tennis...If add spins on your serve it wont be the same motion. Same thing happens with drives, which are pretty much like hitting a flat ball using an eastern grip. However, if you hit with massive amounts of topspin and a western/semi grip the motion is radically different and will mess you up xD. As for rackets, I concur with everyone else, headheavy will help you out and in particular I recommend the ti-10.

9. bbulla

bbulla Regular Member

No, I haven't had any training. Just playing is how I am figuring things out. I'll probably start by getting new strings, and then lopk at some racquets too.

My serve was always the weakest part of my tennis game, so I did develop more of a 'spinny' serve, than a power serve.

I saw a clip on YouTube about badminton grips, and they suggested using a different grip for forehand and backhand. To me, that doesn't make sense since the game of badminton is so fast. I have just being using one grip for the most part, best compared to being my serving/backhand grip in tennis. Should I look at trying soemthing different??

10. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

You should hold the racket with your fingers when waiting for the shuttle -- not your palm -- and it will be easier for you to change the grip. Just practice and you will get it.