left hand or right hand problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ultraman69, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ultraman69

ultraman69 Regular Member

hi all...I've been playing badminton for more then 10 years....within these few year I've realize i don't have much power coming out of my left arm...i'm not a real left hand person, i do some stuff with my left arm like eat and play badminton but i throw a ball and write with my right arm. i find that i ahve more power coming from my right arm, do yo guys think i should considering switching..........i've try playing with my right arm many times but it does not feel comfortable at all, i know i have a harder and faster smash but everything else is downhill. my left arm can control drops and other soft shots, but is lacking power..... please give me some tips or opion.....thanx

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    use right hand for smash, clear and other power strokes
    use left hand for drop, counter-drop, clear and other delicate strokes
    :D:D:D

ok, joke aside.
    is much depending on yourself. prefer right-hand, learn and practice more on your dropshot etc....
    if your prefer left-hand, practice more on smash etc......

3. ultraman69

hahaha you know what i used to do that back when i was in school....i would switch hand to smash ahhahaha.....guess it worked for awhile until i played better players... didn't have much time in between to switch hand..........well i like to play with my left hand it feels more comfortable but i like to have a harder and faster smash.........got any tips???

4. micae

micae Regular Member

Student
    A few day ago i came across a player that switched hand during rallies. Could clear as well with right hand or left hand. She was an intermediate player and would switch hand only from the baseline when receiving a clear to avoid doing a backhand or over-the-head shot, and also to smash. Left or right was about the same power and accuracy. Quite impressive!!
    At higher level, i do wonder if it's useful though. I discussed about it with a friend this morning, and we concluded that the risk of dropping the racket and the time it takes isn't worth it. Better improve your footwork and focus on a single arm! :)

On a side note, me and my friend played a set with our left hand, just for kicks... this drove us back 10 years earlier, when we were struggling just to hit the suttle! He beat me 21-10 and he got 12 points from his serves i could'nt retrieve! :O

5. jwu42

jwu42 Regular Member

Histotech
    Wow interesting to know I'm not the only *freak* out there like this. I have same problem except reversed to ultraman here where my left side is power and right is more dexterous if you will. My suggestion is pick a side and develop it. Ultimately I went with left handed since statistically there are fewer lefty out there. It wasn't hard training the left side to be more finesse.

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    While 1 arm may be stronger, you will notice that badminton isn't just about the arms, you have to coordinate your entire body in line with which arm you pick. So if you pick left, your legs and body have to move like a lefty, and vice versa for if you pick your right hand. Experiment more and have a coach check our your strokes so you will become specialized in 1 arm.

7. ultraman69

yeah think i'll just stick with the left hand........guess i'll have to work on the body position more, hopfully this will help me generate more power

8. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Well, if my forehand is as good as Taufik's backhand, I'd be ultimately please!!

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps the switch hands thing could be useful as not many people do it but there would be a greater delay between switching from forehand to backhand (or the opposite) than if you used the same hand and also, quick net play may be more difficult.

10. jwu42

jwu42 Regular Member

Histotech
    Besides backcourt play, I don't really see how anyone might have the time to switch hand during a volley in competitive play. Unless you start with a stance of holding the racquet squarely in front of you with both hands but your footwork will be awkward.

11. ultraman69

hey all that reply......so i figure i'll stay with my left hand, i was wondering would having the right racket and string tension, could it benefit me. Meaning could it help me gain more power, because every little bit counts hehehehe. any racket suggestion and tension would be great

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    here's why you should stick with left hand

-you have the chance to train up your left hand's power. When most of us here have imbalanced arms.
    -changing hands(for me) confuses my footwork and i don't wanna re-train some laterally inverted footwork
    -leftie is better than rightie :)

As for tension, you must find out what suits you best. As for how, you might wanna do a search as there's tons of valuable info posted before.

13. parasit

parasit New Member

student
    can use both hand

i'm a right hand player but i can use both hand..
    my right hand problem is always problem when make counter-drop..
    and my left hand problem is trouble in backhand..
    if i use my left hand,i can't aggresive like i use my right hand...
    why this thing can happen?
    why the strength between both hand are different?
    anybody can tell me how to solve the problem?
    :confused: