Very different feeling between AT700 Limited and ARC10- NEED HELP PLS !!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by makaspirit, Oct 29, 2008.

1. makaspirit

makaspirit Regular Member

Hello
    Here is my story, pls advice me.

I began playing badminton 3 months ago . I bought a ARC10 with NG98 strung at 10kg.
    At the beginning it seemed too hard for me, my hand couldn't support the racquet, I could only play about 30mins before getting tired.
    And now, after 3 months of training like crazy :D, I can play freely with my racquet. I can make a good smash, not very very very powerful but it's usually the kill shot. drop and net plays arent that good, I dont have the "feel", my shot isnt accuracy.

Yesterday, I recieved the AT700 Limited strung with ashaway Micro Power. I asked for the string tension 12kg but it seems they dont string my racquet at that tension, I feel it softer than the ARC10, maybe it feels like 9kg, or 9,5kg :(. I play today and its completely different from my ARC10. I "feel" better but the smash isnt as powerful as the ARC :eek:. I got more quality in drop, net plays but the smash went wrong (maybe because I didnt get used to it ) :confused:

so,
    my ARC10 : powerful, lack of feeling
    my AT700 : less powerful, more feel than ARC10
    its seems the different comes from the string ? the AT700 is supposed to be more powerful than the arc10, no?:confused:. maybe because I feel softer so I feel it brings less power ? with the AT700, I dont have the feeling that I'm crushing the bird each time I make a smash like the ARC10.

Pls tell me what should I do ? How to get both power and feel in a racquet :D, which one is good for me ? I play single, style : attacker .

thank you

2. Arcsaber

Arcsaber Regular Member

Student
    First reason - Rackets with lower tension will feel more powerful, rackets with higher tension are less powerful but better in control.

For me, it's the opposite, i would find the Arcsaber giving lots of feel and control.

[​IMG]

The At700 has a heavier head, thus, it will be better in smashing.
    The At700 should have more or less the same feel as the arc, if you compare via the charts

3. Arcsaber

Arcsaber Regular Member

Student
    For an optimal result, string it at around 23-24lbs - about 10.4kg

4. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    An easier way to say is that those high end rackets are preety much affordable for some people,but not everyone of them can suit themselves to the racket.My advice,buy a racket that is really suitable for u.Know ur game style,ex:Arm/Wrist,Defensive/Offensive,etc..then choosing the right racket for u will be easier than just buying the most expensive,the most popular ones...since if u going to play with it,it has to suits ur game style to be able to play well with it.Unless if u're just collecting it..

5. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

two different string and tension sure will give u different result.....and higest tension will give u faster shot than lower tension....but if u don't have strong arm...u just feel like taking wooden to hit shuttle...the ball can't fly far but only got the SPEED.....try to re-string them with same tension and string....u will get different result too =D

6. chaos2blue

chaos2blue Regular Member

Makaspirit,
    Reading your STORY, i could only see one little problem.. with ur 3months of experience, u might not had enough power to generate a FAST and powerful swing to get the smash right. ( No offence)

To actually feel the different btw those racket.. its can only be during smashing training...get some one to pass u 30-50 balls for smashing everyday..

AT700 smash should be just ABIT more powerful but ur arm tends be get tired quicker than Arc10.. also the ultraPEF attribute in Arc10 give it a very good shock absorption .. great advantage for hard hitters doing continuous smashing marking ur hand last longer without getting it numb and tired .. (btw i m a hard hitter which gone BERZERK all the time smashing like crazy.. lol!!!)

Solution : Reduce the string tension of ur AT700 .. high tension are great if ONLY u can swing fast and strong. Btw. you should try 20lbs or maybe 18lbs till u get the wrist stronger..

Tips: train with a squash racket swinging a 8 motion sideways everyday for 15-30 minutes to get stronger. After 2-3months.. u surely can hit harder!

7. makaspirit

Thanks so much
    I know that I need more power so I'm doing a few exercises everyday ( I do the swinging a 8 motion sideways with a bottle of water, like a chinese coach show in the video instruction :D ).
    I will try to get used with the AT700 and tell you the result next week.

You said that the AT700 is only A BIT more powerful than the ARC10 ? ( same string, same tension ) ???

One more think I notice : the ARC10 is stiffer than the AT700 ?

Should I restring my ARC10 with another string like BG80 or BG66 for more "feel" :rolleyes: and give it a try ( because the NG98 is said to be a powerful string but numb feel ) ?

It's just the beginning so I think I need times to find out what racquet fit my game.

More advises are welcome pls :p

I play single, style : lin dan's ( in my dream :D ). I means "offensive".

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

the at700 ltd is one of the stiffest racquets out there, certainly stiffer than the arc10.
    are you sure you got it the right way around?

9. makaspirit

I'm at 99,99% sure that I have a real Yonex ( I bought it at www.bad.fr , serie code : FR , it's a very known site in France , all their Yonex have FR code - it means imported by Yonex France ? ) .

Btw, maybe because the frame of AT700 is longer than ARC10's one ( and the handle of ARC10 is longer than AT 700 ) so I feel stiffer with the ARC10. It could be a cause of different strings would gave me the stiff feel ( NG98 on ARC10 and Ashaway Micro Power of AT700 ). Any idea ?

10. chaos2blue

makaspirit..

u made a mistake...
    AT700 is abit more stiff than Arc10.. U got that feeling is cos AT700 itself is already too stiff for u and u even overstrung the string tension over ur experience level... it might feel like hitting the shuttlecock with a PLANK!! .. u cant utilised its power.. make ur wrist and arm strong or lower the tension of the string and most importantly train to hit the shuttlecock at the racket sweet spot (center).. u will surely be able to bring out the beast in those 2 rackets!!

11. makaspirit

I can say that the string tension is only a little too high for me.
    How do you know that the string tension fit your arms ?
    With me, I can make a backhand clear when the bird doesn't pass my body and I can make a powerful smash ( sometimes because I haven't get used to the racquet yet but I really can do it :D ).
    It's a prob of technique and timing , not a prob of the high string tension,no ?
    So can I say that the string tension fit me ?
    I will try again this Sunday, new infos coming :D.

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

you can't tell for sure whether the string tension is correct for you until you have experimented a few times.
    try say 11kg, then move up or down 0.5kg at a time and see which tension you like the best.
    that will be your ideal tension.

13. chaos2blue

I do not know about u guys.. but i think i could tell easily by listening to the sound of the hits... If u actually hit the SWEET SPOT.. the sound is totally different.. Its will sounds like a BOOOM with echo ... if u didnt hit it .. it will sounds like a **piak** more solid sound.. :p

Theory:

Always remember.. the higher the tension makes the IMPACT of the sweetspot harder and stronger BUT the CONTACTPOINT of the sweetspot will be reduced in size..

Hope u guys understand what i m trying to say.. cant explained well in words .. :p lol!!

14. makaspirit

I understand what you said. Lower tension string is more forgiving than the higher one. Sometimes I heard the BOOOM :D and the bird fly like crazy - a deadly smash :p, but sometimes I missed the bird like an idiot :eek: :( :crying: .
    I need more training of course. I just wonder how you know that the string tension is too low for you ?

15. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    ^
    If all your baseline shot fall behind enemy line...out :D

16. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Yea sweet spot hit will cause a sonic boom xD lol... If you find it troublesome for any of them, that means you haven't found the sweet spot... I thought I'm starring at one of Arc10 Victims here lol xD.

Anyway Can anyone translate that technical specification? I don't speak Japanese xD... lol

#16 K4mu1, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  17. chaos2blue

To know whether the tension is too low for u.. it simple too.. u will hear the "boom" sound.. but the ball does not seems to move faster.. then it is time to increase ur tension by 2lbs

18. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Headings:
    -Series:
    -Product Code:
    -Length (mm)
    -Size
    -Recommended stringing tensions
    -Balance: Head-heavy ( top ) ~ even-balanced ( middle ) ~ head-light ( bottom )
    -Shaft stiffness/feeling: hard ( top ) ~ soft ( bottom )
    -Player suitability: Level: (left->right) Advanced~intermediate~beginner
    - Men ( 2nd row )
    - Women ( 3rd row )

19. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Thx 4 da information... None of them are for beginner xD >.<... Is that why my beginner friend find it Troublesome using my Arc... (In fact he played worse than using my Carbonex 8 and he finally listening to me and my friend for telling him not to buy a new racket first xD... (Instead using our carbonex xD...)

And some statement about rackets on this forum is right lol... Beginner don't need a new racket, instead they need coaching lesson xD >.<...

20. chaos2blue

those are not the full list of yonex rackets..!! there are lots for beginners.. those STEEL racket.. heavy.. so beginners could train the strength.. e.g. B-500DF, B-600DF, B-700DF+ .!!