Just bought Ashaway Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by dream18, Oct 30, 2008.

1. dream18

dream18 Regular Member

Hello Everybody,

I was wondering if those Ashaway strings bought on mybadmintonstore.com are genuine or counterfeit? Coz today i brought those strings to be strung on my racquet, and the stringer said that the packaging and hence the smell of the strings are different than the ones he ordered from the US. Please help me on this one.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    They are fine. Ashaway has different packaging, colours and models in Asia compared to North America.

I know what you mean by the smell. IMO Gosen smells the best but Yonex is not far behind.

3. dream18

dream18 Regular Member

The thing is, the stringer said, the packaging SHOULDN'T be like that... and i'm like "ok... well that's the asian packaging.. in which i think he never has seen before.. and he said, why are you buying Ashaway (US Strings) from Asia?" .... he assume that the strings were fake. Secondly, he was commenting on the smell..hahaha.. he said "it SHOULDN'T smell like this, i have bought/sold Ashaway strings here, the smell of the chemical is much stronger.... blah blah blah... so i was wondering.

Thanks for your help ph_leung =)

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Ashaway strings have different names and thicknesses in different regions of the world.. but they're all manufactured at the plant in Rhode Island. People would much rather make fake Yonex strings than fake Ashaway strings. Just like, would people rather sell fake Ferraris or fake Daihatsu's ?

5. dream18

dream18 Regular Member

oh now i get it. Thanks for for your help too. =)

6. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    I don't think you can quite say that Ashaway are to Daihatsu what Yonex are to Ferrari...

Ashaway make some of the best strings available.

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Indeed, but you can understand my concept, right ?

Many people would much rather buy Yonex strings than strings by Ashaway, which they have never heard of. Ashaway's reputation is spreading rapidly though :D... Ashaway is now very popular in New Zealand.

8. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Yeah, understand what you're getting at, and agree with you. Ashaway are very popular in the UK too and I just picked up one of their rackets, but the strings are fantastic

9. dream18

dream18 Regular Member

But one thing is ... I bought 4 packs of those Ashaway Micropower strings... and i would like to ask... have any of you used those ones? and how is it similar to yonex string... is it better?? Coz the stringer told me that they aren't that durable.

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

That would depend on the string's gauge. Some Micropowers come in 0.66mm, the standard ones in 0.70mm, and the XL in 0.73mm. I currently have the Micropower XL on my MP40 at 24lbs, it used to feel great. But I haven't used it in such a long time ever since I switched to the AT700 so the tension dropped to around 18lbs. Ashaway strings lose tension quickly IMO; I tried my friend's AT300 strung with PG66N strung at 24lbs, it dropped down to around 21lbs in two weeks.

Yonex strings are durable because of their misleading marketting informations..
    Their claimed string gauges are actually the thicknesses when strung and stretched. The original string gauges are around 0.06mm thicker than what it is stated on the packages. Ashaway strings are very consistent, their string gauges are correct to the statements on the packages.

Check out DinkALot's thread for proof.

11. bad_case

bad_case Regular Member

Pilot
    I just ordered BG 80 from mybadmintonstore and now I'm second guessing... hope these products are genuine.:confused: Not so much the cost - just want to know I'm stringing with what I asked for. Obviously, if I'm unhappy with the product, I'd rather think I chose wrong for my needs, not that I might have fake product!:eek:

12. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    i think a better comparison would have been Yonex ferrari (well known ) and ashway Ariel Atom, not many ppl have an Ariel Atom or would know what it was but it will blow your socks off

my micro power will lose maybe 1 or 2 pound in a month or two and stay there so from like 25 to 23 and i strung a racket at 26 3 weeks ago and doesnt even feel like its lost any.

13. dream18

dream18 Regular Member

i have strung these strings once i bought it.... and they are the best. Power and Control comes to play and i can feel it once i smash and drops. BTW, Bad_Case, i can confirm that the BG80 you bought there are genuine coz i've bought a lot of Yonex strings from there too.

Regards,
    Alan

14. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    very true. yonex strings are generally more durable than ashaway's, although ashaway strings have factual thickness than yonex's published string gauge thickness. as for playability, i could say that ashaway strings are at par with yonex. :)

15. bad_case

bad_case Regular Member

Pilot
    Cool... :) thnx for the vote of confidence Alan.

Case

16. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

...either your stringer has mutant powers or simply stringing for a looong time. i didnt know you can smell the difference between different brands! cmon, theres string, cardboard packaging, plastic packaging and whatever other dust that gets into the packaging which can all carry a smell. There are times i could tell items ive ordered off of ebay like books or whatnot have obviously come from a smoking environment. My point is yes packaging looks different, its asian/china packaging. But there is no way you can differentiate by smell, only by looks and playability/performance.

17. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    my ashaway MP smells odd every comments when i string my rackets :p

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If that's the case, we should never drink Coke if we travel in Asia, as it's definitely US brand. The thing is, many US (or others) brands are re-packaged in Asia, which costs much less in labor and facility, therefore, the final price is much cheaper.

I remember quite a few years ago, my friend bought a copy of Star Carft when he was travelling in CHN. Yes, it's a legit copy, as it was issued by 1 of the most famous companies from CHN. I don't think they are willing to get themselves in trouble, by selling illege CDs in 1 of the most well known shopping mall. They simply obtained the copy rights from blizzard, and make the CD and re-pack and sell in Asian market. The package is obviously different, but it's a legit copy.