User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astro will be showing this charity show on 22 Nov at 10pm. At channel 104 (Astro Ria)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interview with Misbun during the donation drive :

The Star Online > Sports
    Sunday November 9, 2008
    Life goes on for Misbun despite trials and tribulations

By RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: National singles coach Datuk Misbun Sidek has gone through a harrowing time in the last six months. But never once did he let it get him down.

He was always calm and composed — even when there had been sleepless nights and tearful moments as he tried to juggle between caring for his sick wife, Datin Latifah Sidek, and devoting time to groom his players into world beaters.

The tears flowed freely on Friday when he spoke about his wife, who is suffering from kidney failures, during a donation drive at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara.

“My wife had complained of severe headache and it was only after several visits to the hospital that it was confirmed that she had kidney problems,” he said.
    Trying times: Misbun Sidek visiting his wife Latifah who is undergoing dialysis treatment for her kidney problems in August.

“Now, I take her for dialysis treatments. It’s hard to see my wife go through such pain but I have had to be strong for her.
    “She has been understanding too. She knows that my job as a coach is important to me. There have been sleepless nights but I make sure that the very next morning, I show up early and am strong in front of my players. It’s difficult but I have to handle it.”

Misbun also thanked his family, players, supporters and the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) for their support and understanding during this tough period in his life.

“My father (the late Datuk Sidek Kamar) had slapped and scolded me when I did not want to pursue my badminton career when I was younger. You see, I preferred football then,” recalled Misbun.

“But he wanted me to stick with badminton, which he said would be a blessing to my family. I thought he was too crazy about the sport.

“Now, after looking at all the support I have received from everyone, I understand what he really meant. I really appreciate it.”

Misbun has suffered personal tragedy before. Just before the 1996 Atlanta Games, while he was guiding younger brother Rashid, his daughter died.

Having survived that tragedy, he knows he will have to be strong to deal with his wife’s ailment.

Misbun is clearly made of sterner stuff.

And that is one trait he hopes his group of players, including world No. 1 men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei, will pick up.

“I would like to turn my players from nobody to somebody. It is a personal challenge for me. And my hope is that my players will not give up easily,” said Misbun.

Chong Wei has been going through a tough time trying to stabilise his game after winning a silver medal at the Beijing Olympics in August. He has not been able to justify his status as the world’s No.1 player.

“Chong Wei must accept that this is a temporary setback. I will do my best to improve his performances so that he will be able to achieve his ambition to be the best player in the world,” said Misbun.

“I am willing to guide Chong Wei to go one step better at the next Olympic Games (2012 in London). He cannot give up.”

Misbun is currently getting his players ready for three back-to-back tournaments — Johor Open (Nov 11-14 ), China Open (Nov 18-23) and Hong Kong Open (Nov 25-30).

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/p...asp&sec=sports

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suetyan View Post
    Astro will be showing this charity show on 22 Nov at 10pm. At channel 104 (Astro Ria)
    yeah, i must never forget this...
    a MUST watch for me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is late news but guess what?
    My badminton kaki, Jen, bid for LCW's tournament shirt and won it!!!Well, at first there was a tie so she had to up her bid to win it.We went up to the BAM reception and LCW then autographed the T shirt with special golden ink and Jen, LCW's No 1 fan, had a couple of photos taken with her idol.And you know what? She was so excited she couldn't sleep that night!This, coming from one who sleeps the moment her head touches the pillow!(That's the best part about travelling with Jen;she can sleep with light,sound,etc on when she wants to,so I have the freedom to watch TV and read on to sleep.)And the next day , she thought she was still dreaming and LCW's Tshirt transformed an aunty to behave like a little girl.The shirt's beautiful.It's royal yellow,with the MAS flag and the sponsors logos, Proton and Jati and LCW's golden signature. I'm so happy for her.
    The event was well attended by about 3000 fans.Fans paid RM25 each time to play with the Hashim and Sidek brothers.There was one 'pro' fan who played with all five pros ,each time with a 'costume change'.Misbun had to play lefthanded with weaker fans and Rashid was asked to keep his mouth closed during play so that idea was quite funny.There were 6 rackets and 6 shirts up for bid and naturally,LCW's drew the highest bids.
    Misbun gave an emotional speech and I hope that helped to release a lot of his bottled up tension.
    To end the event, LCW played twice.The first against an 8 year-old boy who was quite feisty even when he looked like a bookworm. Clearly cut out for badminton,he clenched his fist whenever he won the few points against LCW.LCW said he started playing badminton seriously at the age of 11,so let's hope we'll have another LCW in the pipeline.
    The highlight was LCW playing against 3 Radio Sinar FM deejays.It was quite hilarious to watch.One of them would get down on his knees and thank Allah whenever he scored a point.But it's funny to see them miss a shot even when there were 3 of them covering the court.
    The show ended around midnight,way past the 10.30pm schedule.It said a lot about LCW's starpower because most of the crowd stayed till the end and his appeal cuts across race as 99% of them were Malays.That's the great charm about sports.The best in sports is race proof.
    The one thing that annoyed me about BAM(or MAS or the Radio Sinar clowns) was their poor sense of time. To overrun an event by 50% was unacceptable because some fans had to leave and missed out on what they came the whole night for:to watch LCW in action.But credit is due to the deejays.They bantered well and provided much laughs(if you understand rapid fire Bahasa)
    The whole event helped to raise some RM 40,000.
    BTW, I must tell you about MAS taxi drivers.We expected to be fleeced and like they say,you get what you expect.We booked a taxi for our trip back to hotel in advance.We booked for 10pm and that was a mistake since the cabbie ended up waiting 2 hours.Another mistake was to book a dishonest cabbie.This one took us on a merry ride from The Curve to Stadium Juara and charged us the metered fare of RM 26.And on the return trip, we said 'take the shortest route,we'll pay the RM26' we ended up paying RM86 for the 10 min ride cos there was a charge of RM30 per hour of waiting.He said he gave us a discount by waivng off the midnight surcharge.
    One thing I must say about MAS cabbies.Between paying an agreed inflated fare and a metered fare, I'll opt for the former.I don't save money but at least I will save time because they'll take the fastest route.There are plenty of cabbies in MAS but the honest ones are few.Jen said cabbies in CHN,or in her experience, Beijing, are honest.Every day, she took 2 one-hour trips during OG08 and every CHN cabbie was honest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Great to hear..^^

..(is that LCW's used tournament shirt??)...but not really surprised by the news that Jen won the bid; after all, i know she's a die-hard baddy supporter (experienced her passion for the game, myself, first hand during OG)...
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-12-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, thanks for the highlights, pj!
    really nice..
    btw, maybe u can call ur friend, jen to post the pic of the shirt here perhaps?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so pjswift, do you have chance to play baddy with lcw?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    so pjswift, do you have chance to play baddy with lcw?
    How can I? Would have missed all his shots.No, LCW only played those 2 games.No one can pay to play with him.
    And the LCW shirt is brand new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may i know how much ur fren jen bid for the shirt?thx

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe...today we can watch in it astro...great...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    hehe...today we can watch in it astro...great...
    What time isit?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    What time isit?
    Quote Originally Posted by suetyan View Post
    here u are...hehe...ours respectfull ants(can i call u uncle???....or more than tat???)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My god... im not that old lah. Was suppose to attend the exhibition event. But unfortunately im overseas. So just watch it on tv and see how it went. If i'm there i might outbid everyone :P hehehe.. anyway its all fun and everyone was happy and enjoyed themselves i was told.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i actually watched this highlight already back on wednesday night i think..
    it was on astro supersport 10pm
    i manage to watch it..
    lcw vs a small kid..about 10 or 11 years old..
    that small kid play lots of cross net shot..
    but he`s been playing too serious and kan chiong la
    what to do? vs world number 1 mah

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    i actually watched this highlight already back on wednesday night i think..
    it was on astro supersport 10pm
    i manage to watch it..
    lcw vs a small kid..
    that small kid play lots of cross net shot..
    but he`s been playing too serious and kan chiong la
    what to do? vs world number 1 mah
    and u never inform bcer???

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    My god... im not that old lah. Was suppose to attend the exhibition event. But unfortunately im overseas. So just watch it on tv and see how it went. If i'm there i might outbid everyone :P hehehe.. anyway its all fun and everyone was happy and enjoyed themselves i was told.
    ok...then i call u bro...hehe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more on TV... and with all the cameras.. i'm sure that boy would be nervous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    and u never inform bcer???

ok...then i call u bro...hehe...
    What u mean never inform bcer?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast