Hold vs Repulsion YY racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by romizone, Nov 2, 2008.

1. romizone

romizone Regular Member

Profesional Player
    Hold vs Repulsion YY racquet

Anybody can explain , what is the meaning of hold and repulsion

Is it correct ?

Hold : for hard hitter , for enormous power player
    Repulsion : for low hitter, for weak player

[​IMG]

#1 romizone, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's something like frame flexibility...ARC series feels like you hold the bird for a fraction of a second, nanospeed feels like the bird just flies off instantly.

Hold/repulsion don't really affect power as much as shaft stiffness, shaft length, balance point, etc.

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Dun quite understand the chart. So AT900T/P are about the same head heaviness (which most folks here seems to disagree) but AT900P is closer to ARC10/7 in "hold" making it more control oriented than AT900T?

Sometimes, i just feel like Yonex's marketing randomly comes up with some attributes that seems roughly relevant and start plotting their current offering on it. I wonder if they are trying to create confusion or really trying to help the consumer understand the products.

4. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    This chart is more confusing than a pirate treasure map...LOL

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    AT900 BP can be all over the place, anything between 300 and 325mm. Actually, IMO, I think that the AT900T and AT900P may actually have the same BP, but due to the different frame profiles, the T swings much faster making it feel like it's less head heavy. Also, the AT900T may, (I say may because I haven't tested out an AT900P much) be stiffer than the P, but because it swings faster with the same head weight, bends more, making it feel more flexible.

6. chaos2blue

chaos2blue Regular Member

Easier explanation for u guys:

Hold : control and the feeling when u hit the ball (makes u feel u hit the ball)
    Repulsion : the ball flew out as soon as u hit it..

LenaicM likes this.
  7. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Actually, I wanted to know what does these mean to me as a consumer. The balance of head-heavy vs. head-light is sufficiently understood (at least at the surface). So what if a racket can hold -- what does it loses against those repulsion ones?

8. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i would assume power. it would come of the string bed slower, reducing in less power but more control. the repulsion rackets can be seen as powerful rackets, they push it off very fast, but you need good accuracy to wield it

9. derekcai

derekcai Regular Member

I would think that the only way we can "hold" the shuttle longer is if the the racket is more flexible, therefore bending the shaft more and so there is more time in contact. However you take our current knowledge of the stiffness of the shafts of the rackets and we see that that is not true. Either yonex are just bullshitting the graph out or there are other factors involved?:confused:

10. noggin

noggin Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think that there are indeed other factors involved, at least one of which being the stiffness/flexibility of the frame, rather than the shaft.

I've tried two of the racquets that are at, or near, the extremes of the horizontal axis (hold/repulsion) in the graph above. These are the Arc10 and the NS9000X. For me the difference between them was very clear. The NS9000X feels far, far stiffer when you strike the shuttle, with the Arc10 feeling very soft in comparison. The feeling of softness doesn't so much come from the shaft (although that is softer than the NS9000X), but from the frame.

I believe (although I could be wrong!) that it's the frame that contains the different technologies for the two racquets. If this is correct then the two racquets do seem to perform as Yonex intended (and I expect they're mightily relieved to hear that!).

11. Openg

Openg Regular Member

Engineer
    This chart only teasing us to buy and try all yonex raket to find out the differences..
    hehehe...

12. sadgsd

sadgsd Regular Member

Holy crap, i think your right.

13. sadgsd

sadgsd Regular Member

Holy crap, I think your right.

14. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

at least we all agree that this chart is pretty off, in a sense, right?
    and static balance, well, it really doesn't tell true feel.
    oh well, i feel that the MP- 45 isn't done justice.....

15. Uncle George

Uncle George Regular Member

I totally agree... after reading all the above comments I still have no idea what's hold and what's repulsion.. Doesn't hold and repulsion have something to do with the string and string tension too?

I think I have to buy another racket to try the difference..

OH crap.. I'm falling into their trap!

16. izzi-carbonex

izzi-carbonex Regular Member

IT Product Engineer
    ..the racket will have more 'feeling' if it can 'hold' more, and more 'solidness' if it 'repulsion' enough !!! Am i rite?

17. Uncle George

Uncle George Regular Member

I think I got it... after reading Yonex's website in several languages.. you know how it is, sometimes Japanese term are used in a weird way..

Anyway, Hold meaning how long the shuttlecock will maintain in contact with the string surface.. Repulsion means the opposite, where shuttle-cock spends minimal time on the string surface.

By looking at the chart and a bit of physics of deflection... Hold rackets should have a more bouncy frame, lower natural frequency. Where Repulsion rackets are more "twinge" and vibrates more.

Imagine a ball bouncing off a hard surface -concrete - compared to surface that stores energy - trampoline.

(of course the string will come into the equation as well..)

Hold rackets should in theory be better for slice and big power hits, ie mid court to back court, but requires more initial energy. Repulsion rackets have a firmer frame, thus need less energy.

That's my understanding anyway. And I think it comes down to personal preference of how the racket feels. (Because still need to factor in string tension and string type..)

18. deutschzilla

deutschzilla New Member

Designer
    I know you made this comment two years ago, but I can't stop thinking how funny it is.

19. Smash-Tajam

Smash-Tajam Regular Member

IT
    I compared Arc10 and NS9900(which should be close to NS9000X), and I concur with your comment, the only thing I want to add is that I did not feel Arc10 is soft but some how I felt that it did not bounce the shuttle out as fast as I expected, after reading your comment, I come to realize that the shaft on the Arc10 is not flexible but the frame is. This some how helped me to explain the feeling I had with it. Or did I got it all wrong ?

20. Lamia

Lamia Regular Member

Medical student
    Okay,i need a bit help. My arcsaber 10 strung with bg68ti at 24lbs, 3UG4..it feels like a touched the shuttle nd within fraction moment,it went away. I've medium control nd arc10 delivered okay 4 me. In yonex website, what high repulsion and high hitting sound means? I undrstood repulsion,bt nt hitting sound. Does those high hitting sound has less repulsion? Or they have high hold time?
    Please clarify.