Alternative Shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by SmashingTime, Nov 2, 2008.

1. SmashingTime

SmashingTime Regular Member

Hi guys. I've been looking for a good pair of shoes to wear while playing badminton. I've looked at the reviews and all but their prices all seem a little steep to me.

Can you guys please recommend an alternative shoe (from a different sport maybe?) that is suitable for badminton, or a good and reasonably price pair of badminton shoes? Thanks.

2. iyusim

iyusim Regular Member

Well you can get Adidas Stabil model which is used by a lot of handball players.

I used them in the past but replaced them with yonex after they worn out.
    It took some time to get used to after my Yonex went dead, but I've been using it for 2 months now and it is great.

I think that it's very good shoes for their price level.

Weight: 373gr
    Non Marking-Flex sole
    Plus they are very dureable.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Willi@m

Willi@m Regular Member

Blow Blow Water
    A figure of your budget would help us to recommend. Thanks

4. SmashingTime

Umm, sorry about not including my budget. I'm really trying to go somewhere near $30 US, not more than $40 US if possible.

5. SmashingTime

(I wanted to edit the above post, but couldn't find the edit key. >.<)

I've actually been using basketball shoes all this time; I feel very clumsy and my movements are usually pretty slow when I wear them. So please recommend anything other than basketball shoes please. :p

6. S1Driver

S1Driver Regular Member

Hey buddy, I use table tennis shoes and I like them a lot. I purchased them from this website http://www.dandoy-sports.com/tabletennisequipment/index.php?cName=shoes
    Very light shoe and very low to the ground which is what I suppose table tennis players want. They do a lot of side to side movement. The best of all is they are flexible unlike most indoor shoes I've tried. Hope the delivery is not expensive.

Just remember they don't have much cushioning!

7. SmashingTime

Thanks for the recommendation bro. However, what I'm worried about concerning tennis table shoes is the ability to move forwards and backwards... Anyone know if they are any good in moving forwards and backwards?

Also are volleyball shoes a good replacement for badminton shoes?

And cheap volleyball/ badminton shoe recommendations out there please?

Thanks.

8. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

45- 50 dollars gets you the lowest Yonex shoe i have seen in the US, the SHB 41, i fine shoe. it does what it advertises, and has good durablility. those are probably your best bet.

9. SmashingTime

Anyone know if the Asics Gel-Rocket III is any good? Couldn't find a review in the review sections.

10. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    Hello SmashingTime,

There is a review for it.

There is a newer model named Asics Gel-Rocket IV.

I found a review for them on Shoes.com

Yesterday, I bought Asics Gel-Rocket IV and I plan on trying them out today. If you'd like, I can give you a review on them.

11. SmashingTime

Hey Loafers. Thanks for the reply bro. I would truly appreciate it if you could review those pair of shoes. I'm leaning towards purchasing one of them myself. :)

12. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    Brand: ASICS
    Shoe Name: ASICS Gel Rocket 4
    Color: Black/Grey/White
    Size: 9.5" Mens (USA)
    Price: $54.99

Pros: Very Comfortable, Soles designed only for Indoor Court Sports (Squash, Badminton), Affordable (Unlike Yonex), Feels Durable, Color Scheme is nice, Light

Cons: None, yet.

Comments: Tried them on today for the second time. The first being at the store. Initially, I thought they were too tight, so then I tried size 10", but they were too big. This is only because I've worn New Balance Cross Trainer shoes for more than a year as my primary shoe for EVERY activity, so switching from a worn/broken shoe to a new shoe specifically designed for court sports felt awkward and it took some time getting used to.

After I did get used to it, they are indeed VERY comfortable as described by others (I'm even wearing them right now). The ASICS have a good grip/hold on the ground so I can't slip/slide. The cushioning is good, in fact Very Good. I'm pleased that I didn't have to wear them for several days to "break them" so they could get comfortable, simply because they already are. I highly recommend these shoes for badminton players, especially for those who are unwilling to pay another $20 for Yonex, when these are just as good.

tl;dr

Comfort: Excellent
    Grip: Excellent
    Cushioning: Excellent
    Price: Excellent for the qualities it possesses.
    Weight: Feels light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'd recommend trying them out at a local Sport's Chalet (Big 5 and other sports stores sometimes don't have these) so you can decide for yourself. Here's a retailer locator: http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240009604&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001681

#12 Loafers, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2008