User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your Resting heart rate (bpm)?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50 and below - Super fit

6 13.95%
  • 50-59 - Very fit

18 41.86%
  • 60-69 - Above average fitness

11 25.58%
  • 70-79 - Average fitness

6 13.95%
  • 80-89 - Slightly below average fitness

0 0%
  • 90-99 - Quite unfit

1 2.33%
  • 100 and above - Very unfit

1 2.33%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally posted by JChen99

I've heard a theory of y people think that fitness can be measured by heartbeats/minute. The theory is... the stronger your heart is, the less it needs to beat/minute to get the blood necessary for your body to function. Thus when you're more fit (your heart is more muscular) the less times/min the heart needs to beat to get blood necessary to the body!
    That's true but remember I said a heart rate of 40 doesn't mean super fit compared to somebody with heart rate of 50. There isn't a linear relationship.

jwu, if fitness is defined by "time taken to return to normal resting heart rate after exercise", you can still be fit and overweight.

See those guys playing American football? They are huge but I reckon they must be really fit. Same with Sumo wrestlers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

happened across this thread while searching for something else.

I wouldn't have thought bpm was a direct guide to fitness, just one of the indicators.

Surely an individuals bpm will be affected by:
    the effectiveness of their lungs in getting oxygen into (and CO2 or whatever out of) the bloodstream

red blood cell density and oxygen bearing capacity

size of the heart chambers and strength of the heart muscles, i.e. how much blood can be pushed around the body per heartbeat

health of the arteries and veins (are they clogged up with fat)

Does the VO2 max test give a better measure of fitness?
    Harder to do at home though.

P.S.
    haven't done resting bpm yet, but it was 53 just now at work
    (a long time ago, before I did so much exercise I think it was in the low 70s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

couldn't it also be that:

the average badminton player here is asian, and the average asian is shorter than the average caucasian (of which the average BPM is derived.) Since asians are shorter, there is less distance for the blood to travel and hence the heart feels less resistance. Also, the body has a smaller volume of blood, since the average asian is also thinner. Therefore each beat can push a greater percentage of the required blood given the same strength of the heart.

Thus it's not so much fitter as it is more efficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Resting heart rate hard to determine!

Well, I'm never really resting per se. I'm always either jiggling my legs or shaking my foot or doing something. Call it nervous energy or what, but I hardly ever sit completely still. So my mostly resting heartrate works out to be about 70.

Hey, don't you start to get brain damage after like 2 minutes of no oxygen to your head? Would that help with holding your breath longer?

.w.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im quite content to have my resting heart rate around 60. Good not to pump blood like a locamotive. Also good to have heart beat once in a while. Hey, I dont smoke, dont drink, exercise a lot, am shorter than most asians player soccer and badminton. I've never put much faith in the resting heart rate...

Weasel <-- I call it Attention Dissorder. I know microwave popcorn that has less potential energy than you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Using RHR for training

Agreed, this is slightly off-topic, but it does adhere to the whole heart rate-fitness idea.

There is a formula devised to work out the ideal target heart rate for endurance and speed work using the resting heart rate.

If the resting heart rate is an indicator of fitness level, how do we know when to stop pushing the target heart rate as we get fitter (surely it can't just keep increasing)? If RHR isn't an indicator of fitness, how do we know whether or not we are doing enough in training?

I think the overload principle is too vague, because we sometimes feel different on certain days, and we think we are overloading when we are not.

Aleik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the intensity of a workout is determined by the ratio of current BPM to max bpm. Your max bpm can be calculated by doing vigurous activity and monitoring the peak.

The bpm equation is just an estimate of what you max bpm is expected to be for an *average* person of the same age with the same resting bpm. The equation is usually very close, which is why many people don't bother with calculating their actual max bpm and just going by the average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heart rate is also affected by your age and size i think. larger animals have lower resting bpm, while smaller animals have higher bpm. and i think when your growing your bpm is slightly higher then one who is fully developed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i get exactly 50 but the poll is closed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got 55 the first time and 64 the 2nd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, at first before looking at the poll options, I thought the faster your heart rate, the more fit you are. So I tested and got around 59. Then I guess I was excited and my heart beated faster, so I kept saying in my mind, faster faster andgot 65. Then I looked at the poll answers and lol.

I guess i'm above average fit. Cheers to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 57 , also how come the poll has been closed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres was probably a time limit set by the thread starter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 here! hehe....not bad at my age !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get about 65. wich isn't bad....but I thoguht bpm was something like Body Per Mass index....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man i find it difficult for me to find out my bpm. whenever i try to count and look at the clock, i just automatically breathe a lot slower. so i guess mine is pretty inaccurate.

from a test, i got about 56bpm. im chinese, 5'7". average body frame. 18 yrs old

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg, my bpm is 90+ and im the fourth best player in my team, am i really that unfit
    btw, does bpm really shows how fit you are, cuz i know some1 that has the bmp going into teh 100+ when he is relaxed and he's the fastest sprinter in the school!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast