User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your Resting heart rate (bpm)?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50 and below - Super fit

6 13.95%
  • 50-59 - Very fit

18 41.86%
  • 60-69 - Above average fitness

11 25.58%
  • 70-79 - Average fitness

6 13.95%
  • 80-89 - Slightly below average fitness

0 0%
  • 90-99 - Quite unfit

1 2.33%
  • 100 and above - Very unfit

1 2.33%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weirdperson
    omg, my bpm is 90+ and im the fourth best player in my team, am i really that unfit
    btw, does bpm really shows how fit you are, cuz i know some1 that has the bmp going into teh 100+ when he is relaxed and he's the fastest sprinter in the school!!!
    How old r u? Age affects heart rate.

My all time record is 49. Some of the guys I train with tho are in the 30s .
    I need to get mine belofw 45 for nationals!! 400m here i come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    How old r u? Age affects heart rate.

My all time record is 49. Some of the guys I train with tho are in the 30s .
    I need to get mine belofw 45 for nationals!! 400m here i come.
    m 14 man, and i thought i was more of a fit person compaired to my classmates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredlemon
    couldn't it also be that:

the average badminton player here is asian, and the average asian is shorter than the average caucasian (of which the average BPM is derived.) Since asians are shorter, there is less distance for the blood to travel and hence the heart feels less resistance. Also, the body has a smaller volume of blood, since the average asian is also thinner. Therefore each beat can push a greater percentage of the required blood given the same strength of the heart.

Thus it's not so much fitter as it is more efficient.
    is that accurate? bigger animals have slower heart rates can anyone explain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weirdperson
    m 14 man, and i thought i was more of a fit person compaired to my classmates
    wait until u stop growing. or if u really want to find you level of fitness do a beep test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do u mean by a beep test?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is very odd as my resting heart rate is generally mid 50's to 60. I'm an overweight asmatic and not one that would call myself fit by any means.

I'm 29, 11 and a half stone (had gone up to 14 in the summer last year) and 5 foot 8, i'm sure my BMI would suggest i'm overweight too.

I can get my heart rate up to over 190 when playing singles too, didn't really feel as if i was pushing it too much either. I used to wear a heart rate monitor to see what was going on when i played.

As for the beep test, i think i can get to level 7 somewhere.
    Last edited by Dill; 04-02-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google the beep test. usually u run for 20m in intervols that get faster and faster as the level gets higher. These tests suck, make u tired for a couple hours after if u push ur hardest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dill
    That is very odd as my resting heart rate is generally mid 50's to 60. I'm an overweight asmatic and not one that would call myself fit by any means.

I'm 11 and a half stone (had gone up to 14 in the summer last year) and 5 foot 8, i'm sure my BMI would suggest i'm overweight too.
    you may have a heart disorder. my friends dad is overweight and has a heart rate in the 20s. Apparently this is not healthy. Also some people just genetically have a lower heart rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian =--(O)
    you may have a heart disorder. my friends dad is overweight and has a heart rate in the 20s. Apparently this is not healthy. Also some people just genetically have a lower heart rate.
    Heart is fine, had it checked although i do have slightly high blood pressure at times and no reason for it, all tests came back negative.

Heart rate was monitored for 24 hours and was within the mentioned figures and only went up for a small time.

Outwith this i used a monitor just out of curiosity to see what was going on when playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My BMI is 17. For the beep test, I scored level 9 ( about a month ago). And as of now, my heart rate is 70 . Wow... I'm so unfit! ( got to workout more!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5'10" 210lbs resting bpm = 43

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remind everyone that resting heart rate is an unreliable indicator of fitness.

Although resting heart rate decreases with aerobic conditioning, it is also heavily influenced by genetic traits. You cannot meaningfully compare two athletes by their resting heart rates. Often the fitter athlete of the two will have a higher resting heart rate.

Resting heart rate is more meaningful as a broad measure of change in your fitness. It remains inexact, but if your resting heart rate decreases then your aerobic fitness has increased.

Also, please note that your resting heart rate is, by definition, the lowest rate at which your heart can beat in normal conditions (i.e. not drugged or deeply unconscious). For an accurate measure, you need to take your heart rate when you are completely at rest. This means that you should be lying down, still and relaxed for at least 20 minutes.

Many people do not measure their resting heart rates correctly, and come up with much higher numbers. Even if you are slightly active -- sitting in a chair, for example -- it will raise your heart rate.
    Last edited by Gollum; 04-04-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    Resting heart rate is more meaningful as a broad measure of change in your fitness. It remains inexact, but if your resting heart rate decreases then your aerobic fitness has increased.
    I agree, resting heart rate shouldn't be used to compare ones fitness against any other, only in relation to yourself just as Gollum describes. At least it is quite worthless to call a differance between persons with 50 bpm and 60 bpm. A differance of at least 25-30 bpm , like 50 bpm vs 80 bpm might be of more importance.

But for those of us who use to excersise a little (some more some less...) I find it more interesting to know for how long you can perform when passing the lactic acid threashold. This was the secret of former world no1 in biathlon, Magdalena Forsberg. She neither had the lowest heart rate nor the highest lung capacity. But she could work longer than anyone else after passing into the red zone when lactic acid started to build up. IOW perform longer close to her max capacity.

If you've seen TDF, Giro or Vuelta you know that they use to monitor some cyclists puls. Then you'll know what I'm talking about.

/mats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default reply

I think the last two posts are the most accurate so far: you can't use BPM to measure yourself against OTHER people, only yourself. If your BPM changes over time, then it's a measure of the change in your own fitness.

But different people can have different BPMs, regardless of their fitness. Lots of factors can come into it, genetics, body shape/mass, etc.

Also, having too low a BPM can be dangerous - think of a car stalling because it's not getting enough fuel/air into the engine.

I did a test at a medical school when I was 18 where you measure your BPM with a heart monitor and also measure your oxygen/CO2 levels (big gas mask), then do sprints for 15 minutes and measure again. They had one of those big machines with the slow-rolling paper and a dozen little needles zigzagging all over the place. This measures the RATE of recovery, the speed with which your BPM returns to normal after exercise - this is the key measure of fitness. For atheletes, and certainly for a sport like badminton, you want the highest possible rate of recovery so you can keep going in long matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitness can be derived from heart rates. But it is the rate at which your heart rate slows down that is important. Not the resting heart rate.

And again - it is only comparative against other people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 17 and my resting BPM is 80+.
    am I unfit? or am I just young?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also take into consideration people that live at altitude will have a lower heart rate naturally.

Also depends on your body type, and numerous other factors.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast