User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your Resting heart rate (bpm)?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50 and below - Super fit

6 13.95%
  • 50-59 - Very fit

18 41.86%
  • 60-69 - Above average fitness

11 25.58%
  • 70-79 - Average fitness

6 13.95%
  • 80-89 - Slightly below average fitness

0 0%
  • 90-99 - Quite unfit

1 2.33%
  • 100 and above - Very unfit

1 2.33%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For football there is an important physical training test known as the combine - where they measure such things as the 40 yard dash, various running drills, the strength endurance for bench pressing 225 lbs, vertical jump, etc. This is something that'll be done prior to, let's say, the entry draft.

Apparently, of those tests the best indicator of future performance is the vertical jump - because it is a measurement of raw explosiveness that requires speed in addition to strength.

What do you think would be an appropriate set of combine tests for badminton players? Certainly some test of endurance might be appropriate, but the difficulty is that most of these tests are done using steady, cyclical movements that are quite different from the interval-timed, multi-directional nature of badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to accurately measure one's fitness, you need to measure the 3 S's:

Strength
    Stamina
    Suppleness

Ive got good stamina as i go jog 8km every other day.
    Ive could probably use a bit more strength to give me that little bit more oomph on my smashes.
    My suppleness is only average, still trying to do the splits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back playing singles so down to 52bpm hopefully by the mid season should be sub 50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are u sure this works? i got around 50 and i cant even last until 6-6 in a singles game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wing-omega5-0
    are u sure this works? i got around 50 and i cant even last until 6-6 in a singles game.
    i think it works quite well, therre are other factors though if you are talking about a game. if your a very inefficient player (not saying you are) then you will get tired faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just tried again and I got 72

I find that pretty weird, because personally I think my fitness level is quite good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it isn't too accurate because I just got slightly below and then slightly above 'normal' fitnesss. It is somewhat a generalisation from the start - how does one measure 'normal' fitness?

BTW I probably am of 'normal' fitness and everyone else I train with is better I get to play catch-up 'cus I got fat playing cricket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60bpm, i play a lot of badminton lately like almost every day for 2 weeks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that higher pulse means healthier player since more oxygen is needed by them for their muscles to breathe and recover ?

In any case, im average it seems But i dont feel like i am. I can handle game after game of single/doubles every time i play, and they're not light games at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PandaLord
    I thought that higher pulse means healthier player since more oxygen is needed by them for their muscles to breathe and recover ?

In any case, im average it seems But i dont feel like i am. I can handle game after game of single/doubles every time i play, and they're not light games at that.

It is a measure of how efficient is your circulatory system, especially your heart. The more powerful your heart, the more blood it can pump through your body per beat and thus it can provide sufficient oxygen to the body at lower rate.

Endurance runners have very low heart rate, usually around 40. Elite runners with below 40 heart rate is quite common. That is why they can run as easily as we walk!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 bpm, more or less. I usually play 4hrs a day, 5 days a week -- I started playing badminton just over a year ago and 60 bpm is an improvement 'coz I was usually in the high 70's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it true that the older you are, the lower your BPM is?

So even though someone older has a lower BPM, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is fitter than someone in their twenties and has a higher BPM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbella122
    Isn't it true that the older you are, the lower your BPM is?
    No.

Maximum heart rate decreases with age; your age-predicted MHR is (220 - age), but that is a very crude approximation.

Resting heart rate, however, is not linked to age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    No.

Maximum heart rate decreases with age; your age-predicted MHR is (220 - age), but that is a very crude approximation.

Resting heart rate, however, is not linked to age.
    ohhh I see... thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most badminton players have relatively low bpm of between 50s to mid 60s. Singles players' bpm would be lower and their mpm (at the edge of reaching the anaerobic zone) is also higher. But a player with a bpm of 55 may not be half as fit as another player with a bpm of 65, due to each player's different mpm when going beyond the aerobic zone and reaching the anaerobic zone. Age and other factors are the reasons. I have a bpm of close to 56 but I cannot last 5 minutes playing singles with an 18 year old with a bpm of 65. The rules say I cannot and must not go beyond 152 (now you know my age!) but I do sometimes touch 175.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    The rules say I cannot and must not go beyond 152 (now you know my age!) but I do sometimes touch 175.
    Maximum heart rate varies greatly between individuals. As well as age, your MHR depends on:

• Genetic factors
    • Fitness (and fitness history)
    The age-predicted formula is only a method of estimating MHR for "the average" individual.

By definition, MHR is the highest heart rate that you are physically able to achieve. It is therefore impossible to go beyond your MHR. If you have recorded a heart rate of 175, then your MHR is at least this high.

MHR can be determined accurately using an exercise stress test. A more practical method for most people is to wear a heart rate monitor during exercise at 100% intensity, and select the highest sensible value that you observe (obviously if it shows 300 then that is a device error).

Persons whose medical profile indicates vulnerability to cardiovascular accidents (eg. heart attack), however, should be extremely careful not to push their heart rate too high, since high heart rates during intense exercise lead to a substantial, temporary increase in blood pressure. This can cause "squash court heart attack".

If you are in this "at risk" category, then you should consult your doctor about exercise. You may be able to reduce your risk by embarking on a disciplined, gradual fitness programme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Most badminton players have relatively low bpm of between 50s to mid 60s. Singles players' bpm would be lower and their mpm (at the edge of reaching the anaerobic zone) is also higher. But a player with a bpm of 55 may not be half as fit as another player with a bpm of 65, due to each player's different mpm when going beyond the aerobic zone and reaching the anaerobic zone. Age and other factors are the reasons. I have a bpm of close to 56 but I cannot last 5 minutes playing singles with an 18 year old with a bpm of 65. The rules say I cannot and must not go beyond 152 (now you know my age!) but I do sometimes touch 175.

The rule says your mbm will drop by 1 beat every year. This is however only a guide for average person. If you are very fit and regularly push yourself to the limit, mbm will drop by very much less than 1 beat per year.

High mbm does not give you any advantage in endurance. But, high mbm will allow you to perform at a higher intensity without running out of gas.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast