How fit are you? What is your BPM?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by adelina76, Jul 7, 2002.

?

What is your Resting heart rate (bpm)?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2002.
  1. 50 and below - Super fit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50-59 - Very fit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 60-69 - Above average fitness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 70-79 - Average fitness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 80-89 - Slightly below average fitness

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 90-99 - Quite unfit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 100 and above - Very unfit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    One way of determining your fitness is by calculating your resting heart rate. So find out how fit you are by measuring your heart rate, bpm at rest. At rest means when you're totally relaxed..and not straight after a badminton game! :)

2. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    ARh!!!! After a number of trials........ I CAN'T FIND MY HEART BEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

3. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    In that case boyboy, I declare you officially dead. Cheung, you want to call the time of death? *giggles* :p

You should get your pulse either on your wrist, or for a stronger beat, try placing your index and middle finger by the side of your adam's apple, or the area between the side of your jaw and your adam's apple..you should feel your pulse then. If you still can't find it..then ohmygosh, you're the first ghost I talked to!

"I see dead people...." ala Six Sense! :D

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I'm a weird one...

I regularly monitor my blood pressure by utilizing those blood pressure monitors available at the local pharmacies and usually my pulse rate falls in the low 50's which quite unsual.

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    you need a sub 40 category for singles players

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Re: I'm a weird one...

Not unusual for singles players. Mine is currently 43 though I've had it down to 39 at peak fitness, but this isn't as low as properly fit singles players go down to. Long distance skiers go down to 29!!

I think the poll is representative of average fitness as opposed to badminton fitness which is a completely different prospect.

7. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    after a few trials.. mine averages to be 54.......are you sure thats "very fit"? I don't feel so fit on court.....

#7 TDotSmAsHer, Jul 8, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2002
  8. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Very fit..

TDS, Your level of fitness has to be viewed in perspective. When u say you don't think you're that fit, who are you comparing yourself to? Your lazy neighbour that has never done a single exercise in his life, or your favourite international badminton player? :)So when I say very fit, that is in comparison to your average Joe Bloggs, i.e from someone that sits on the couch all day with a remote control or someone that is a triathlete and besides, this is meant only to be a guide, not to be exact science :)

Btw, my heart rate is on average about 48, lowest I got it down to was 43 :)

9. modious

modious Regular Member

Hmm.... My heartbeat when I'm relaxed is around 52-58.

10. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    YEah! I'm alive! :p finally found a very weak pulse somewhere........

oh.... adelina, got the price? it's Nz339.... wut do u think? I personal think that price is expensive.... and Mp100 is 399. I saw a post saying that mp100 is RM450.
    well... do reply... :D

shouldn't say something that is not related to the topic..... so ....... erm........ erm............ erm.................. I FOUND MY PULSE............ :p

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Weird Heart beat

my normal heart beat is about 70 something(after waking up.. cuz i heard it's the most acurate when taken at that time), however, after getting up and walking around(very slightly)... it goes up to about 90 something @@" and after vigorous exercise... 120+
    but at that heart beat... i can still keep very focused and not feel "tired" anyone got any hypothesies on my heart's weirdness?:confused: :confused:

12. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Re: Weird Heart beat

that's normal

13. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    My normal resting BPM is in the low 50's, usually around 52.

During intense exercise such as plyometrics, I've had it go up to around 180 BPM. It was about 3 beats per second. Mind you, the first time I did this, I felt like I was about to faint!

Phil

14. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Max Heart Rate can be estimated by 220-age

I've clocked my heart rate at 198 during a game using a pulse rate monitor. Just shows how intense singles can be.

15. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Is BPM correct measure of fitness

I have read somewhere that better measure of fitness is the time you need to get from max BPM to rest BPM. They claimed that the rest BPM does not say much.

16. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Re: Is BPM correct measure of fitness

Well, it depends on what fitness you're measuring. The rest BPM measures your general fitness, more precisely when carrying out daily activities, as opposed to performing in an exercise. That's why your rest BPM is measured because when you are at rest is when your heart works the least, i.e your BPM should be the lowest compared to non-rest period, even if you're simply doing something simple like getting up to make a sandwich. You'll find your BPM will rise as your heart needs to pump blood a bit faster around your body to support that activity. So if your BPM during rest time is already higher than average ppl who are resting, that goes to show that even when you're resting, your heart has to work hard to circulate blood and oxygen around your body. So in that sense, it measures your daily general fitness.

Now the fitness measurement you're talking about which is the time you take from your rest BPM to your max BPM (i.e when your heart is beating the fastest, normally at the peak of the exercise you're doing at the time). This form of fitness is calculated to measure your RECOVERY FITNESS, which is your body's ability to recover from a taxing activity, or more generally known as stamina. So if you have good recovery fitness, means you recover quickly from say, a long badminton rally, which then translate to a good stamina :) So, this form of fitness we're talking about here is sports fitness, which is different to your general daily fitness :)

A

17. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    isnt heart rate determined by intensity ?

18. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    What do you mean Grobfurst? So what's your question in relation to? Isn't heart rate determined by intensity? Intensity of what? If you mean the intensity of the activity that you're performing at the time, then yes, it does relate to that. Err, hope that answers your question?

19. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    most people in this forum are above average fitness :cool:

20. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    Re: Re: Is BPM correct measure of fitness

Well, thanks for reply. Unfortunately I tend to disagree with you. But I have to emphasize that I am not an expert in this area :D . I feel that the fitness cannot be divided to general and recovery categories. I understand fitness as ability of the body to cope with physical load (regardless on current activity - shopping or playing baddy). The rest BPM can be its measure but it is not correlated well. Much better measure is the mentioned above recovery time. Its drawback is that it is more complex to measure.