Commonwealth Games

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2002' started by Slanter, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

These are the seedings for the Commonwealth Games:

SEEDS:
    1. England (ENG)
    2. New Zealand (NZL)
    3. Scotland (SCO)
    4. Wales (WAL)
    5. Malaysia (MAS)
    6. Australia (AUS)
    7. Singapore (SIN)
    8. India (IND)

They claim that this was done on World Rankings - if so there are some weird ranking systems that place Wales ahead of Malaysia. I just hope that England don't draw Malaysia in the group stages.

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

nonsense

I personally think that Malaysia should be seeded 2nd or at least 3rd, this is a farce.
    However, I think Malaysia will still enter the last 4. The men are too strong, and the mix is not bad either. Women doubles might be able to spring some surprises, but one of the girls in the pairing just recovered from illness, so I hope she has recovered sufficiently.
    As for the mens individual, I think it will most probably be an All-Malaysian final in singles and doubles. However, English doubles have improved. Mens singles will put Pullela, Ronald and Richard Vaughen against Wong Choong Hann, Lee Tsuen Seng and Hafiz. England have Colin Houghton and Mark Constable. India have a few other players as well, but I can't remember their names.
    I hope the Malaysian players will be hungry fro victory, and not underestimate their opponents.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    The ranking is done based on team not by individuals. If you consider all the various matches, you will see that England has stronger MX, LD, LS teams than Malaysia.

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I am not disputing England being the first seed...but what about the next 3?? Are the girls in those countries really that strong?

5. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I don't know about Scotland - but Wales have good players in both the singles competitions, but their doubles is weak. They are really relying on their ladies doubles pairing which is not getting any younger. Both players are very skillful, but their court speed is not good.

The unofficial pattern at the moment seems to be that promising young players move from Soctland to be English to get the high level of competition. Old English players getting nowhere near playing for England then become Welsh for a bit of international play.

6. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Scotland has better players in the women's like Susan Hughes while Wales has Kelly Morgon. Rhonda Robertson plays for New Zealand and these ladies are in the top 50 but I don't see any Malaysians on the list. The women doubles includes those countries in the top 25 and similarily for the MX.

Malaysia has always had better players in the men's categories but not the ladies.

7. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Scotland has a strong ladies doubles pair - they will be among the top seeds for the individual competition, and they have a fairly strong mixed doubles pairing. Their ladies singles and mens doubles are reasonable, but nothing special and their mens singles are weak. I'm not sure if I would seed Scotland so highly, as I think Malaysia, Wales and Australia would all be in with a very good chance of beating them.

Slanter - I wouldn't have said that Scottish players becoming English is common at the moment! Only one player has done it to the best of my knowledge (in badminton anyway!). I certainly agree that their is much stronger competition in England, and in that individual's case it has certainly worked - I think he's ranked 2 in England for mixed doubles at the moment.

8. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Point taken, dude! My apologies to all Scottish international level players of any sport. A significant amount of whom have rather imperceptible Scottish accents.

9. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I don't know what you mean Slanter..... :D

We need all the help we can get at the moment! :D

#9 andymcg, Jul 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2002
  10. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Of course...

Well it happened. It was, I suppose, almost innevitable. In the Mixed Team event England have drawn Malaysia in the group stage. The groups contain three other teams who should not provide a significant threat to the big two. The problem is that only the group winners go through to the semi-finals. This means that either England or Malaysia will not get a medal in this event.

Mess up the seedings and cost yourself a medal. Typical. They might as well play the group game then both teams can save their energy - the winners immediately collecting the gold medal and the losers not wasting time playing games.

11. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Only one way out for Malaysia --- steal a point thru the LD or LS.
    Virtually impossible for the Malaysian to beat the English XD pair.

12. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

THIS IS A JOKE!!

I still cannot imagine how did Scotland, Wales, New Zealand get ranked higher than Malaysia. Point taken about the ladies, but it is not as if those 3 countries I mentioned have ladies of very fantastic calibre as well.
    The latest world rankings shows Malaysia having 5 mens singles in the top 14(no other country has that many. Yes, not even China!!). Doubles are decent as well, with C/C at no.2 and another pair at no.17. No matter what, the only other country that deserves to be higher is England based on their all-round strength.
    If the seedings is not such a joke, England and Malaysia would not be in such a dilemma.

13. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Is anyone here going to tape down the badminton matches (if any) shown on ASTRO? We are not going to get much of a telecast here I believe for badminton matches.

14. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    News from the games - Cdn version

Here's a site that will provide updates on the games (from a Team Canada perspective)

http://www.map.canadianwebs.com/CamsCorner.htm

The site also has pictures of the players selected to play for Canada.

15. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Lee Tsuen Tseng, a Malaysian player stated that he has no burden in him and he aims to get the gold medal in this competition..... He said that he needed
    to learn from his senior like Choon Hann and he said that he needed to concentrate to go through the first few matches...

16. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I hope the Malaysian players take note of Gopichand, Ronald and Richard Vaughan. However, the attitute employed by Hafiz, Choong Hann and Lee TS are good, as they never underestimate their opponents, and they are very humble.

17. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Yupp.. never underestimate..... thats the best attitude.. =)

18. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

GO CANADA GO !

GO CANADA GO !

:D

19. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

The men's singles title will be the Malaysian's.
    They are simply head and shoulders ahead of the rest.
    England could only challenge Malaysia in the doubles since the Malaysian pairs are rather inconsistent! Still the Malaysians are the hit favourites.

20. Totoro

Totoro Regular Member

Programmer
    Too bad Malaysia female players aren't that good, or else Malaysia can champ the team event. But as the ball is always round, anything can happen. If Malaysia female double or mix double can some how bring a bit of surprise, well, then that is a gold mdeal already. As for men event, I think there should not be any problem for 2 gold medals and silver. If Malaysia can perform better, then may be another silver from the men double.

Anyway, hope Malaysia can repeat their good performance of 10 golds in Kuala Lumpur 1998, or else if can get 5 golds also not bad already. They had just champ the Sea Games, so I think Malaysia spirit is still quite high!

Go Malaysia!