One Peice Racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by GRObFURSt, Jul 9, 2002.

1. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I noticed my racket is one peice. Meaning the shaft and the head are not seperate. I was wondering what the advantages of one peice are and do the other Yonex rackets have just 1 peice. By the way its an ISO 85VF long.

Thanks

2. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    why no reply after 2 days. I think there is someone wise out there that can come this up for me.

3. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Grob,

I think most of the rackets made after 1990 are one piece unit. The most popular multi-piece racket around, I believe, is Carbonex 8.

One piece have become mainstream with advancement of carbonfiber / graphite construction technology, with main advantages being lighter weight, increase in stiffness and better control.

Yonex still makes multi-piece rackets though - mainly the lower end range with steel shaft and aluminium frames. They are aimed at beginners and is almost racket clash proof.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Correction

Actually, what you are describing is a two-piece racquet: the shaft and the frame is one piece, and the handle is one piece. Most racquets today are two-piece racquets. Technically, a one-piece racquet is literally in one piece: the shaft, frame and handle is all graphite. One piece-racquets are not so common, but Karakal has a few models and so does Carlton (the now revived Powerflo series).

5. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Im not talking about the grip..exclude the grip, Im talking about head and frame as one peice which is called 1 peice.

6. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    handle u mean? not grip

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    One last time...

I don't think I mentioned the word "grip"?

Grobfurst, what you are describing is called a two-piece racquet. A one-piece is something else.

8. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    you might have 2 and 3 peice rackets in sweden but we have 1 and 2 peice rackets. If the head a shaft is 1 peice it is a 1 peice racket. If the head and shaft are 2 peices it is therefore a 2 peice racket. And you are not doing much to solve my question are you.

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    One-piece means ONE PIECE

If you wish to use your own personal terminology then by all means go ahead. But keep in mind that to get the right answer you often have to ask the right question. The terms one-piece and two-piece actually have a specific meaning in relation to badminton equipment.

To answer your question: all Yonex racquets except the older Cabs and the current low-end steel models are TWO-PIECE constructions, i e the shaft and the frame is one unit, plus the handle. The pros of the two-piece construction over the 3-piece construction is as Ayl suggested.

10. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Am I correct in saying that two-piece racquets (head + shaft) are made that way because different materials are used for each section, and one-piece models are of uniform composition?

Just curious...In the manufacturing of one-piece models, are they molded or machined as one piece, or are they actually two pieces that are bonded together?

11. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
  12. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    THank YOu....Mag thats the answer I was loooking for..Thanks for the links also.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    two piece

back in the days when they started the two piece construction, they were call T-less or built-in T-joint.
    the problem with one-piece construction, from a manufacturing standpoint is the requirement for different modes for the varying handle sizes. i had the unfortunate luck with a one piece fischer where the handle crushed, and the racquet was rendered useless. in a two piece, i could at least salvage the remainder of the racquet and scrounge for a replacement handle.

#13 badrad, Jul 12, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2002