New Rules of Badminton, since 3 years ago?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pyaarawala, Nov 8, 2008.

1. pyaarawala

pyaarawala Regular Member

student
    Hey, I'm sorry if this was posted somewhere already but I tried searching and couldn't find it. I've played badminton back in Junior High school, high school, and college, in New York, and I've always learned that the rules in doubles were that each person on each side gets a serve (except first rally of the game), and you can only score a point when you are serving and win a rally. If you lose the rally, the serve goes to your partner (if he hasn't served yet), or the opposing team. However, if you serve and the other team wins the rally, no one is awarded any points.

I came to Suzhou, China to study in a medical school and I found a gym nearby, Dushu Lake Gym. I went to play there in a doubles match with local students, and they told me that there are new rules of badminton effective about 3 years ago. They told me the games are up till 21, not 15. I've actually heard of the 21 points thing, but I haven't heard of this part: That after every rally, the winning team of the rally is always awarded one point, no matter who was serving. And let's say I serve and lose a rally, then my partner doesn't get the serve after that (if they haven't served), the other team gets it, then if they lose, THEN my partner gets it, and so on. So the serve alternates between the teams.

I guess this rule makes sense cuz it speeds up the games. I mean if you can only earn points by winning a serve, some games can take forever then if no one wins a rally while serving.

Again, sorry if this was mentioned already, just want to clarify.

2. hellojeffo

hellojeffo Regular Member

Undergrad
    Yes, seems like you've been away from the game for ages eh? That's the new rule, it's to shorten the game length for television broadcast purposes...

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    its the new rally point scoring system, but it is still possible that a game can go on forever too because when the score is 20-20, then you have to win by 2 points (ie. 22-20, 21-23, etc.)

#3 ryim_, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  4. pyaarawala

pyaarawala Regular Member

student
    Hmm, interesting. A few friends I know here play with the old rules too, guess I will inform them of the new rules. Is there like an official badminton site with a list of the rules on it?

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

The first side to reach 30 wins too so it will not go on forever.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    BWF Rally Point Scoring System.

pyaarawala ... If you go to this link (click here), you will find an attachment explaining the Doubles serving arrangements for this new BWF Rally Point Scoring System.

:):):)

#6 chris-ccc, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  7. Heong

Heong Regular Member

If it is for broadcasting purposes and I propose for a time limit and which every player gets higher score within that time limit is winner.. just like soccer haha :D

Also more interesting and requires more mentality work.

8. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

hahahah.... sounds like a pretty good idea. but i think if there's a goal to reach its better e.g up to 21. otherwise it might look something like 45-15 or something in about 15mins if its a really good player playing against someone not good. :D

9. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    then there'll be more players using time wasting tactics:D

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton: Time wasting tactics

That's exactly what I have thought too.

:):):)

11. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    There's no reason to have people waste time. You just need to start a clock at the instant of service, and stop it when the rally ends, no different from any other clocked sport. The problems start to arise when you think about how many rallies there will be in even 1/2 hour of shuttle-in-flight-time, and how even a small time keeping error will compound in that number of measurements

Anyways, I assume this is all theoretical. I am personaly very pleased with the rally point scoring system, and I now feel that the "old rules" are very much out dated, much like the imperial measuring system. I hope I haven't stepped on any toes here, but even the most die-hard imperial fan has to admit that that from a logistics point of view, the imperial system has only a few uses...I'm 5'8," by the way:)

12. -Z-Man

-Z-Man Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

The same happened to me. The last time I was regularly playing badminton (prior to now) was back in secondary (high) school. We were playing of course, by the old rules, and it wasn't until some time last year that I was informed about the new scoring system. Some people I play with still prefer going by the old system to this day, because there's a level of forgiveness if you make a mistake when you're serving. Yet IMO, they don't seem to be improving in terms of consistency, which I think is partially due to this. I mean, when I play by the new rules I know that every rally counts, so I adjust my level of play (primarily mentally) accordingly. Yet when I go back to playing the old, I become lazy and it feels more like a casual practice.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Who would be more suited with the NSS (New Scoring System) ???

-Z-Man ... You might want to read the many posts/comments in this long thread: click here