which racquet is for me?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by .S.L., Nov 8, 2008.

1. .S.L.

.S.L. Regular Member

I'm currently using Yonex MP 30, but it's too much of a defensive and doubles-oriented one, and so am thinking of getting a more aggressive one for singles.

MP 30 is too light for singles. I like the feeling of MP 33, its stiffness and stuff, but its also too doubles-oriented. I've also tried AT 250 Ltd - it's much more aggressive but seems a bit difficult to handle.

So could anyone recommend a racquet that may suit me? Any brand will do.

Thanks.

2. xiaoheng

xiaoheng Regular Member

maybe u can try mp-99 is good... even balance.. head abit heavy... i'm using it and it was fun to use once u get use to it... :) hope can help u

3. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    AT700 for the best fire power.
    Arc10 for all round.

About their review you can find lots of it in this forum :D

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Mp99 seems good for you, since you want stiff but not too heavy or light.

5. .S.L.

.S.L. Regular Member

thanks for your recommendations!

I'll try MP 99 and AT 700 next week, probably borrow one from my friend.

Arc 10 is famously all-around, but I'm thinking of NS8000. It's not head heavy, so there's not much worry about it being too heavy to handle, and the power is no weak as well. Plus, it's balance point makes it maneuverable at the net.

How would you guys think of NS 8000?

6. Athelete1234

Student
    NS8000 is good, but you need good technique to generate the power and swing speed. It's pretty stiff, and being head light, means that you have to be very good to make it powerful. ARC10 is all around, but I find it's not very stiff. MP99 is more famous as an all around racquet, and ARC10 has had mixed reactions.

7. sadgsd

sadgsd Regular Member

The Ti-10 sounds like another racket you could use. Its not terribly head-heavy when I tried my friend's. I would say its a good singles racket. Just make sure you know how to generate power like Athlete1234 said.

8. .S.L.

.S.L. Regular Member

Thanks Athelete1234. It's truth to find a racquet that suits you instead of find a racquet to suit. But the usual case is, sadly, you don't know if you've purchased a racquet that suits you until you've played with it for a week or so...

Thank you sadgsd for your recommendation. Ti-10 is just something I would have to give up, i guess. I don't have wrist strong enough for it.

Anyway, I'll try whatever I can find

9. chowzer

chowzer Regular Member

like sadgsd, i recommand you teh Ti-10

very very good racket

10. Athelete1234

Student
    Yep, Ti-10 yellow or purple is like NS8000 but heavier head. A good all around racquet IMO.

11. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

stop recommending top of the line... the guy was looking at the lower/medium range of yonex, which are still good...

If you didn't mind the AT250 try the AT300 or AT500, they are more flexible...

NS8000 is headlight... prolly not what you want, it's a reasonably defensive racket. Look for a medium stiff MP range. MP99's extra stiff... if the AT250 was hard to handle then don't try the MP99.

12. xiaoheng

xiaoheng Regular Member

mp-99 should not be called as extra stiff... it depends on how u using it... cos i'm using mp-99 for more than 3 yrs is jus only stiff minus.... the racket i think is extra stiff is AT700...:) maybe u shld play longer with it and u'll find it is not as stiff as u think so...

13. Athelete1234

Student
    I dont' like how people quote NS8000 as a defensive racquet. It is one of the most powerful racquets out there but demands the best technique. NS8000 and 9000X as well as AT900T have much higher demands to generate power but can still produce a lot.

14. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

Like golf everyone's playing stiffer than what they should be imho. (including me)

The shafts will lose stiffeness over time but do you buy a racket on this basis?

15. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

Virtually every decent racket is very very powerful if used with the correct technique... To then conclude they are all attacking would be an incorrect conclusion. Many see the NS8000 to be defensive because it's so headlight and easy to defend with... Yes correct technique will get extreme power from it, but this is also the case with every good racket... why bother having catagories then?

16. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Yeah, and seeing how LinDan can defend with his AT700, AT700 is probably a defensive racket. :D

17. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    NS8000 is a very good racquet, but my arm adjusts to the Arc10 better than NS8000. Also, NS8000 is extra stiff for a headlight racquet, which is pretty rare in the YY production line. Another sort-of-headlight racquet with stiff shaft is NS9000S and NS7000 has got a very headlight with medium stiff shaft, so NS8000 is a pretty unique racquet.

18. .S.L.

.S.L. Regular Member

Thanks everyone, for your kind suggestions!

MP99 and AT700 are too stiff for me - they are "extra stiff". And, depending on my feeling with MP33, I figure a "stiff" racquet would be my type.

So I've finally locked AT500 and MP-Limited. Has anyone used any of the two racquets, especially MP-Limited? How would you guys compare these two racquets?