Different shape rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by airsteins, Nov 10, 2008.

1. airsteins

airsteins Regular Member

With different shaped rackets, will I need to use more string.

I have only ever re-strung ISO shape rackets (Standard Yonex ones).

Will I need more string if I re-strung the old oval shaped heads (ie Carlton Airblade superlite) etc???

Primarily for the mains, as the racket is pointed at the top, instead of flat, and will this use a lot more string???

Thanks

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Most of the older Oval racket actually using less string than the Iso models. If you work in between 20-25lb range, 17 ft for main and 16 ft for cross is a safe choice. If you work with Prince Y-shaped racket, you might do need a bit more string to work.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sorry Master LB, I have to disagree with you on this. For newer racquets (22 mains and 21 crosses) with 21 cross strings, IF you use standard Yonex pattern, they need about 10 to 15cm (my guess) than old oval (22 mains and 22 crosses) racquet. In general, the oval racquets need a little less string than ISO racquet but not too much. However, there are several exceptions to this rule of thumb. Cab30ms needs more string than MP99 or MP100.

I agree 100% with you on the ~17 ft main and ~16ft observation. It will work for 99.9% iso or oval out there for almost all stringing machine.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, I admit I forgot to count the 22x21 pattern. ;) Ok, just skip over to the 17 main and 16 cross section. :D