UK club: child protection & coaching

Discussion in 'UK' started by Skanbuzz, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

In UK
    1. Anyone here have experiences in setting up a club with juniors badminton?
    2. Can you share your experiences, do & don't and checklist in setting up?
    3. With the intention of starting a coaching session to encourage young players(juniors), what are the procedures with regards to child protection issue?
    4. Are there any specific requirements re coaching qualifications or anything to do with coaching?
    5. Can a club run without a qualified coach(certificate holder) and invite a professional coach as and when required?
    Thanks

Have I posted this in the right section?
    For some reasons, I can't search the forum

2. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    hi,
    i used to attend junior coaching, i could give you the guys email if u wish to ask him, though i believe he has a coach certificate, i do not know if it is required.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60297&highlight=qualified+coach+junior+club (Coaching issues)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56477&highlight=qualified+coach+junior+club (this guy might be worth contacting - altough he hasn't been on BC since June if you reply to his thread & PM him he may have his email alerted)

I imagine Gollum (BC Member) will have some helpful advice as he has experience in setting up sessions etc...

To be brief :

- yes you can run a club without being qualified but to teach the kids with some success (and they are unlikely to continue without some some perceived success) then you will need a basic idea of lesson planning, how to teach to young people & of course what to teach

- essentially the issues over child protection lies in the trust of the parents. Some may trust you to teach their kids with CRB checks, others may not with them.

- There is nothing against you bringing a professional coach along.

The biggest risk to you is liability. I suggest accept no liability & pass it on to others.

Finally: No it isn't posted in the correct forum.....I have corrected this & the link below show use how to activate or use the search button if you have a problem getting the drop down menu.http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56477&highlight=qualified+coach+junior+club

4. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

Thank all for the info.
    I will have alook and contact the relevant person suggested.

Just a matter of interest, maybe some of you might like to share your experiences whether it is good or bad (not necessary limited to those who had conducted coaching) but maybe just observation/thoughts, committee observations, parents or gurdians

I might have an opportunity with a "blank" piece of paper infront of me so if it is to be set up/plan right I would like to know what mistakes that I can avoid

Even international contributions are welcome too, what good practice/tips etc can be implemented.

If we can gather a list, it could serve useful for some others in the future.

5. CometRich

CometRich Regular Member

Retailer
    I would cover yourself by getting the right qualifications, as you never know what might arise, quite a lot of info hear http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/t...nTitle=Child+Protection+Policy+and+Procedures.

I would also suggest getting funding, you should have a local baoe development officer. They will know of grants availible for clubs. I know at least 3 clubs in our area who have successfully received a grant, which all helps setting up the club.

6. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

Skanbuzz, did your plans for coaching kids work out? If you are still in need of some advice, i can put you in touch with an experienced coach (who also trains coaches) who is also a badminton child welfare officer as well as a jolly nice person who i am sure will be happy to give you sound advice.

#6 marmoset, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009