Stringing using a Hi-Qua machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Laowai, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

I will soon have a Hi-Qua stringing machine with an additional pair of flying clamps (MBS) and a string mover besides the basic set of tools that it comes with. From what I understand, this stringing machine is pretty much the same as the alfa shuttle express and similar to the Eagnas ST-250. I have read quite a bit on this forum and found a lot of the information very useful in choosing a stringing machine. Basically, I chose this stringing machine because I wanted the extra speed and ease of use of a manual machine (compared to a drop weight). I also thought it would be good to have something that is badminton specific and smaller with its own case. Hopefully I have made the right decision.

Now for my problems. Do I need a starting clamp? If so, where is a good place to buy one from and are all starting clamps suitable for badminton stringing? What is the easiest method to string on this type of stringing machine, one piece or two piece? There are no fixed clamps on this stringing machine which I guess makes things quite different from most stringing machines. If it helps I can’t see myself wanting to string past 26 lbs any time in the near future. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Looking forward to having a go at stringing, should be a little bit of fun.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Starting clamp is good to have but not necessary
    2) For speed, 1 piece. For better job, 2 piece. Just my opinion.
    3) Make sure you calibrate the machine before you string your first racquet. A digital fish scale is good enough as a calibrator.
    4) Read through other posts on starting method and check out the stringing video on YouTube. They are good starter.
    5) Be careful on the N and S holding post. You will know why when you get the high noon crack.
    Good luck

3. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Thanks for the advise. I have had a look at some of the stringing videos on youtube, these are very useful but are for tennis racquets. I guess the basic ideas are still the same though. My major concern is that most videos or post refer to the use of fixed clamps where I will only be using flying clamps. I will read more posts in the meantime and I think things should be much clearer when I have the stringing machine infront of me.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  5. flyfox7101

flyfox7101 New Member

Where have you bought the machine? I am interest in the item.

Can you give me a link?

thanks

6. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

I bought the stringing machine at My Badminton Store. Unfortunately for me the Australian dollar was falling when I bought it.

7. hellojeffo

hellojeffo Regular Member

Undergrad
  8. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If working beyond 25lb, I recommend to get at least 3 flying clamps (when you work on main), if there's no fixed clamps. MBS or HiQua clamps are good for main, but not the best for cross, as Yonex. I will get 2 MBS and 2 Yonex flying clamps for the job - 2 MBS + 1 Yonex for main, 2 Yonex for cross.

10. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Thanks for the advice, it's all very useful. I really like the idea of the starting pin (a piece of string tied to a ring) for starting the mains. I am not going to buy a starting clamp at this stage as they are too expensive ($65 AUD) and not necessary. I may have to get a pair of Yonex flying clamps though but I will see how I go with the MBS clamps first.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For the self-made starting pin, better use an used piece of string, as it's been stretched well enough. If a brand new piece, it may stretch a bit itself, therefore, losing a bit more tension for the first several runs. ;)

12. flyfox7101

flyfox7101 New Member

I found the machine in the website for 388$ without shipping fee , How much shipping charge have you payed?

13. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

I believe it was $40 US.

14. flyfox7101

flyfox7101 New Member

I can't believe it .

I send a mail to my badminton store, They asked $120 US for air mail and $70 US for ground .
    I am in US.

15. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Do you live in Hawaii or Alaska? I can't believe they charge you like that.:D

16. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

#16 maa2003, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  17. flyfox7101

flyfox7101 New Member

18. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

I have strung two racquets now. One at 16X18 and the other at 20X22. Thanks for all the replies. I have found the information very useful. I just have to get faster now, stringing the crosses is a real pain and getting the string though some of the shared grommets can take a while too. Next racquet I string I want to go up to 24X26, hopefully that will not cause any problems. Just one more question, are load spreaders a good idea at higher tensions?

19. blundey

blundey Regular Member

I dont use them, never had a problem. I find prestringing the racket helps with shared grommets because you have already strung the racket and just need to tension it. I find this way the "easiest" way.

20. ABCmanagement

ABCmanagement Regular Member